Ringer Library in CS to close for months

5,538 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rexter
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Larry-J-Ringer-Library-to-close-for-seven-months-491358041.html

Shut for almost the entire school year.

Quote:

According to the city, during this seven months of work, exterior walls will be demolished, concrete and structural steel will be installed, new walls will be constructed and full renovation of restrooms will occur.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
JMac03
AG
Wow. Has this always been in the renovation plans or is this news?
InMyOpinion
People still go to the library?
Oogway
Yes! Yes they do!
doubledog
A lot of parents use that library for "after school" day care. For them it is a big deal.
CRE-Ag
AG
doubledog said:

A lot of parents use that library for "after school" day care. For them it is a big deal.
Sure glad that the rest of us are subsidizing that.
techno-ag
AG
BassinAg said:

doubledog said:

How are we subsidizing use of a library? Is that like subsidizing the roads we drive on?

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
studioone
so do the employees get a 7 month paid vacation? Do our taxes pay for that?
techno-ag
AG
studioone said:

so do the employees get a 7 month paid vacation? Do our taxes pay for that?
Dunno. I seem to recall the city of Bryan running the libraries. Maybe they can work in Bryan for 7 months.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
91_Aggie
AG
doubledog said:

A lot of parents use that library for "after school" day care. For them it is a big deal
How many is "a lot"? The library isn't that big. Are you saying they just drop their kids off and leave them there?

Not sure that is happening. And if the Library actually has programs for kids after school, then that seems to be a service the library is offering.

You seem to be bitter about something that can't be a big deal. if "a lot" of parents are just dumping their kids off to run wild in the library with no planned events, I'm pretty sure the library would put a stop to that.
CRE-Ag
AG
Maybe I'm mischaracterizing the previous post, but people using the library as a day care doesn't seem like ordinary use of a library. $1.2M annually and a $6M renovation seem like a terrible waste on an unnecessary service. I would be curious how many unique visitors utilize the library.
musicforall
I just went to the CS library yesterday. No, I did leave my child there . I think it is not uncommon for kids to come over from the high school and do homework until they get picked up. I think it is great, and wish my high schooler had had the same option.

I am unhappy that CS will not have a library for 7 months, but the same thing happened in Bryan when it had a fire. We have until November! I hope they get done early, ha.
techno-ag
AG
BassinAg said:

Maybe I'm mischaracterizing the previous post, but people using the library as a day care doesn't seem like ordinary use of a library. $1.2M annually and a $6M renovation seem like a terrible waste on an unnecessary service. I would be curious how many unique visitors utilize the library.
I dunno. A city without a library seems odd. Kinda third worldish.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
91_Aggie
AG
And if you read the story, you would see the following:
Quote:

The Larry J. Ringer Library Expansion Project was approved by College Station voters in 2008. The $6 million+ contract with Acklam Construction includes a 12,000-square-foot addition and the renovation of the existing 16,000-square-foot building.

So you can't be whining that the city is doing dumb stuff with the voter's money if the people said yes to this.

At least it's not horrible financial decisions in the past like:
1) Buying Chimney hill for twice its appraised value then selling it several years later at less than what they purchased it for.
2) Buying land on Holleman for twice its appraised value and it is still empty lots.
3) Building a Taj Mahal of a fire station on University.
4) Getting taken in by a con artist by the name of P David Romei
5) fifth thing here
6) No profit except for the people they bought land from.
91_Aggie
AG
BassinAg said:

A day care indicates someone is watching and caring for the kids. If the kids are well behaved and doing homework/reading at the library but no city resources are being used to feed, care, change diapers, etc., I'm not sure that that is "day care".
bobinator
AG
Ha, I just got a library card two weeks ago, the book I wanted was only at the Bryan library though so at least I already know where it is!
duffelpud
AG
I guess that's what they meant by "some periodic closures" in this March 18 article.

"What's this button do?"
Stupe
S
BassinAg said:

doubledog said:

Wow.
CEAg78
AG
I am pretty pleased that you subsidize my reading habit, too.

[When the CS library is open,] Any book at the Bryan library can be transferred to CS for your convenience.
doubledog
91_Aggie said:

doubledog said:

A lot of parents use that library for "after school" day care. For them it is a big deal
How many is "a lot"? The library isn't that big. Are you saying they just drop their kids off and leave them there?

Not sure that is happening. And if the Library actually has programs for kids after school, then that seems to be a service the library is offering.

You seem to be bitter about something that can't be a big deal. if "a lot" of parents are just dumping their kids off to run wild in the library with no planned events, I'm pretty sure the library would put a stop to that.

I agree day care is a bit harsh and I take it back.

When my kids went to school (CHS in the 90's) many of their friends would walk across 2818 and spend an hour at the library, doing their homework, I assume, their parents then would pick them up 4:30-5:00. I am not against that, in fact I think it is a good idea.
threecatcorner
This is a change that was not in the original plans. The construction was supposed to be in phases so that it would only rarely have to be closed (closed when electricity is being worked on, when plumbing is being worked on, etc.). It has been closed for a day here or there for things like moving a water line. The construction company requested a change, and the city's project manager signed off on it. Doing it this way supposedly means it will be finished a few months earlier, even though the original plans were to be open as much as possible even if it took longer.
threecatcorner
The date for it to be finished is earlier now. After the closure is done, it is supposed to be open again, June instead of November.
CRE-Ag
AG
doubledog said:

91_Aggie said:

doubledog said:

When my kids went to school (CHS in the 90's) many of their friends would walk across 2818 and spend an hour at the library, doing their homework, I assume, their parents then would pick them up 4:30-5:00. I am not against that, in fact I think it is a good idea.

Not what I was imagining when the language "day care" was used. Still think the expansion isn't needed. Information is much more readily available than it was just ten years ago, but it is what it is. Government will waste money for the rest of human history.
JMac03
AG
BassinAg said:

doubledog said:

91_Aggie said:

doubledog said:

Not what I was imagining when the language "day care" was used. Still think the expansion isn't needed. Information is much more readily available than it was just ten years ago, but it is what it is. Government will waste money for the rest of human history.

I might disgree. And I didn't step foot in the library for probably 5 years. I started going again recently. The parking lot is always full. I showed up 10 minutes before opening on a Sunday and there were no less than 20 people waiting outside to go inside. I would much rather my taxes go to something educational than some of the things it goes to. Not everyone wants to read books on a tablet or has access to computers. I do not enjoy reading on a computer or tablet, I want a book. I'm trying to spend less time online and more time doing other things and reading is one of those.
scs01
BassinAg said:

Our family uses the library tons. We moved here several years ago from a community with better library facilities and resources, and we've missed them. Not to rag on BCS, but the library needs to grow with the community. Good libraries still matter.
CRE-Ag
AG
At this point, I am sincerely curious. Are you that use it going there to do research, is it just a quite place to read, are you attending events, or just checking out non-fiction books for pleasure reading? I haven't been to a library in 5+ years. Between amazon and audible, I personally have no use for one.
JMac03
AG
I check out books. Granted not a ton, but some. I actually bought s book today at Barnes and Nobles. I did tell my daughter I would take her to the library tomorrow and she was excited.

Audible is okay. I won't read a book online or on a tablet.
jrhmc
AG
We used the library a ton when my kids were in grade school and younger. They have really good children's services. We've also heavily used it while homeschooling. Research papers usually require a minimum number of hard copy sources to make sure kids can do something other than a Google search. I don't have the budget to buy enough references for all subjects. We've also used it as a place the kids can meet with tutors or study groups. They've needed to expand for a long time.
bobinator
AG
I've just been checking out books for pleasure reading. I've been trying to catch up on The Expanse series, which is why I joined the library a couple of weeks ago. My wife joined last year though and reads a lot of fiction and non-fiction books.

By joining the library you get access to some ebooks and audiobooks also btw. I haven't done a deep dive into what all is available there though.
techno-ag
AG
There are lots of things a city can waste money on, but a library is not one of them, IMHO.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
aggies_2001
AG
I wish they would have stuck with the original plan of leaving it open. 7 months is a long time for it to be closed.
JMac03
AG
So I just went there to return my 6 week late books, donate some books and check more out. I almost pissed my pants when they told me my late fees were $66 Luckily they had them marked as lost and it dropped to $18. For 2 books. I used to joke I kept them in business with late fees. I'm not kidding this time around lol.
Anna Molly
Some library programs, in no particular order:

Anime club for teens
Summer reading program - for children and adults
Genealogy classes
English conversation circle
Numerous book clubs including one focused on STEM. This month's selection is Hidden Figures and they'll meet at the Tipsy Bean.
Computer classes and one on one computer help
Free family movies - Peter Rabbit was the selection today
Guitar club
Storytimes for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers - these are great because they promote socialization, and develop an early appreciation for reading

You can also check out Blu-Ray's and DVD's of current movies and TV shows.

Today's libraries are far more than dusty warehouses of books.
aggiemom89
Is the Mounce library always closed for 4 days over Thanksgiving?
JSAD
techno-ag said:

There are lots of things a city can waste money on, but a library is not one of them, IMHO.
Which city... The City of Bryan are the ones that employs the librarians in this library, but uses the City of College Station's infrastructure...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.