Curbisde Tipping$

3,489 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgFan247
wired for sound
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I placed my first curbside order to be picked up tomorrow. There is a percentage added to the items and a $5 shopper fee (shopper fee is waived if picked up during designated hours)
My question is, do you tip the person that brings out your groceries?
91_Aggie
AG
HEB does not want people tipping for this. It's their policy.

OnlyANobody
I absolutely tip, every time. The work these people do saves me time, as well as wear-and-tear on my tolerance level of idiots in the store.
Tailgate88
AG
I tip $2 and I am glad to do it.
95_Aggie
AG
I bet you folks don't tip at Sonic though ...
The Original AG 76
AG
AGnCS said:

I bet you folks don't tip at Sonic though ...
I have a pile of gold dollar coins and some $2 bills specifically stashed in my car just for tipping at Sonic. I enjoy the looks from the girls when they see a $2 bill for the first time ever or get a couple of gold dollar coins .
wired for sound
I have tried in the past to tip at Sams when I was helped with large or heavy items. On all occasions the employee backed away like I was handing them kryptonite and said that they were not allowed. Same thing at Lowes when I tried to tip the guy for doing the saw cuts for me. Didn't know if HEB had a policy. Also, you are giving the tip to the kid pushing the cart out. There are certainly more people involved in getting that order together and I'm sure the tip doesn't make it in to a shared pool. My plan is to tip, I was just thinking out loud and thought I'd ask for other opinions.
Post removed:
by user
cubbies25
AG
We make it a point to tip $5 every time we go and use Curbside. We go 1 time a week. My's sons girlfriend works in Curbside and yes, she says they all really appreciate it. We may tip more than most, but it is a big time saver for us and have nothing but great things to say about the service.
ratfacemcdougal
YEARS ago, I worked at Handy Andy and EVERY customer got carry out. We were not allowed to take tips and we did back away like the customer was diseased. Corporate would go around to the different stores, shop and try to give tips to see if the carry out was refusing. Not saying HEB does that, but if the policy is no tipping...
Spiderpig
Are they like wait staff in a restaurant who work for tips and don't get paid a real hourly salary? Or did they apply for and accept a regular, paying job that consists of carrying groceries to cars? Should I have also been tipping the bagger all along? And the cashier? The deli person slicing my cheese? So confused...
Tailgate88
AG
I always tip at HEB Curbside and and have never had anyone turn it down. Well worth the money, love the service. My wife does the big run over the weekend and we do a smaller mid-week run for whatever we need,I love not having to fight the 5:00 crowd.
AggieBarstool
I don't tip with curbside grocery. They make a wage and their employer should up the cost of the service if they need to pay their curbside people more.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
91_Aggie said:

HEB does not want people tipping for this. It's their policy.

As an HEB Vendor, I know that they have zero tolerance for benefits to staff in the procurement or merchandising offices. Not even lunch at the deli

Not heard about tipping curbside or parking log delivery assistance
The Original AG 76 said:

I enjoy the looks from the girls when they see a $2 bill for the first time ever....

Old habits...
classicdoug
AG
When I was in high school (1989) i sacked groceries at Randall's. We took every customer's groceries out and made great tips. We got paid minimum wage but the tips easily added up to more than that per hour. It was a great job for a high school student. Now sackers aren't encouraged by the store to help customers to their cars with their groceries, and no tips are allowed. Why is that? I thought what we did back then was great customer service.
CrazyAgE
Spiderpig said:

Are they like wait staff in a restaurant who work for tips and don't get paid a real hourly salary? Or did they apply for and accept a regular, paying job that consists of carrying groceries to cars? Should I have also been tipping the bagger all along? And the cashier? The deli person slicing my cheese? So confused...

This....

What's the difference in these folks versus the others, like the deli person cutting your meats and cheese? The cashier ringing up your groceries? The bagger bagging your things? The previous poster makes a good point.

I wouldn't tip the curbside people. They are no different in the day to day operations of the store than these other great folks that work there. I just don't get it
Love Gun
What I don't like is going through drive thrus for a pickup order, only to be presented a receipt to sign with a spot for a tip (cough, Wings n More)

I always feel guilty just crossing a line through that tip space and signing. Then again, you just passed me my food thru the window. Where's the extra service that warrants a tip again?
ratfacemcdougal
I understand your feeling, however, no restaurant that I know of is going to have to different printers and software to run tickets for drive thru and inside seating. The thing that gets me is having to sign for anything less than 25.00. Wings drive thru, Kolache Rolf, C&J...etc where my bill is always less than 15.00.
JaneDoe02
AG
I use Walmart's grocery pickup. It's great. There is no additional charge at all and they have a no tipping policy. I've been doing it for a few months and it's wonderful. You can even "check in" on the app when you're on your way to the store and they usually come walking out with my groceries as soon as I've parked.

I can't believe HEB is charging an extra 3% plus $4.95 fee plus a tip.
Love Gun
JaneDoe02 said:

I use Walmart's grocery pickup. It's great. There is no additional charge at all and they have a no tipping policy. I've been doing it for a few months and it's wonderful. You can even "check in" on the app when you're on your way to the store and they usually come walking out with my groceries as soon as I've parked.

I can't believe HEB is charging an extra 3% plus $4.95 fee plus a tip.

That's nice to know. I've waited as long as 30 minutes at HEB Tower Point. The average is 15 minutes. They need to fix that or I'm going to Walmart
cubbies25
AG
Funny...we go 1 time a week on the weekends during their busiest times and have never, ever, waited more than 5 minutes for our groceries.
montegobay
The last time I used HEB, I waited over 30 minutes and then finally went inside. They were still filling the order. I got $30 off my bill. They said they were short-handed. Everyone was waiting a long time that day.
And I got the fee refunded.

I've had a not so great experience with Kroger too, substituting about six of my items.

Walmart is the best and most consistent in my experience. And it's free and no tipping is allowed.

For the most part, I don't feel like I should tip. They are paid a fair wage for the job they are doing. HEB even charges more for the items for Curbside.
Eliminatus
AG
I love HEB but their price for that service is the highest I have ever seen personally. I paid the same price for actual delivery straight to my front door in California of all places.

Hate to say it, but Walmart wins easily in this battle.
armymom
Kroger app states no tipping for curbside delivery. .
Kitten With A Whip
I agree that Walmart has this service down pat!
bushytailed
AG
Love Gun said:

What I don't like is going through drive thrus for a pickup order, only to be presented a receipt to sign with a spot for a tip (cough, Wings n More)

I always feel guilty just crossing a line through that tip space and signing. Then again, you just passed me my food thru the window. Where's the extra service that warrants a tip again?

It's the same computer and receipt system that you would see inside the restaurant. They're not going to have a separate system for the drive thru. NBD, just mark through it.
Kashchei
AG
Eliminatus said:

I love HEB but their price for that service is the highest I have ever seen personally. I paid the same price for actual delivery straight to my front door in California of all places.

Hate to say it, but Walmart wins easily in this battle.

WalMart gets a lot of crap for trashy customers, lack of cashiers, etc. but one thing they are fantastic at is logistics.
Stupe
S
Love Gun said:

They don't have different receipt strips for the drive through and the dining room, the only thing that changes is the destination portion of the slip. The rest of it is a set of data cells that automatically prints in a certain order.
ag009
AG
Yeah, I have to agree that Walmart wins hands down for me. They rarely have substitutions, get it out to me quickly, select great produce, and all for no extra charge. HEB typically has a ton of subs, takes awhile, and not as great of produce selection. There are products I miss from HEB (fresh tortillas mostly...), but it is rare I choose them over walmart these days.
Sammi Jones
justalocal
I use Kroger, I've never tipped but wondered. Always have prompt service. I don't allow substitutions.
AgFan247
AG
I'm impressed I read this far through and still no Mr. Pink references..

Plus, I wouldn't tip either, they already get a normal hourly wage, its not like they are paid like a waiter or bartender (afaik).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.