Pilots License

2,258 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Abatt16
henrikk
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Any recommendations or advice on getting a pilots license in the Brazos area for a 17 year old?
TX_COWDOC
AG
Gary Gandy with Brazos Valley @ Easterwood.
Martin87
AG
My son used Texas Flying Club out of Coulter in Bryan.
EBrazosAg
AG
Tx Flying Club. Very economical. If not patient and want to do it faster use the school at Easterwood. But be prepared to pay significantly more.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UmustBKidding
I'd really say the opposite. Personally think you should plan to have enough cash & free time to get through the solo stage and some additional hours before you even begin. But I know some that did their lessons as cash and time were available. The ones that did it through the flying club (A&M at the time) ended up with a different instructor many times and because of that ended up repeating things or getting further down the line with no experience in some areas. Most instructors have a syllabus they follow and review your log book to see what they should cover in your lesson, but not all cover things in the same order. Told some that wanted to do the as available they should find someone like Bill B who is likely to be around for years that it make take you to get through. Some variety is good but the instructor of the month is less than ideal.
I'm not the expert, but have ~1000hrs. But my dad had 20K+ as a USAF primary & civilian instructor. He had many student that had laid off for a few years come back and found they had never done a pylon on/around 8 or other basic things.
If you don't have your cash in hand, do some ground school and if you have to fly SIMS please don't get caught up flying instruments. Every instructor I know hates when kids come in and stare at the artificial horizon when there is a giant spectacular outside the windshield.
EBrazosAg
AG
That may be your experience. Not mine. But to each their own. Probably very instructor dependent. I think you can get good and bad fits at both and that probably affects the experience more than anything else. Ask around and try to find advice from someone with similar needs to yourself. I got mine knocked out in 10 months with 2 full time jobs and a couple of kids. Way different than a college student no doubt. Easterwood definitely has more birds with more reliable up status. That was my main issue with TFC - having birds up and ready to go. But the price per hour was 2/3 at most.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
henrikk

Thank you for all the replies! I will check out the options mentioned.
EBrazosAg
AG
Just be prepared for the 17 yo to become a professional.........its an addicting hobby, and if I was 35 years younger........
Aggieland Appliance
+1 for Gary Gandy. He was a DPE so knows all the Ins and outs of what thee examiner will look for. I have flown with him several times.
Agmaker
I give another star for Gary Gandy.
Maybe Next Year
AG
Of my interest as well
Abatt16
AG
I just got my private pilot certificate back in July. I started in October of 2017. I used Brennan Miller at Brazos Valley Flight Services. BVFS is located near the general aviation terminal at Easterwood. Great company and they do their best to instruct to the student's ability and skill level. They also use an easy scheduling service. A discovery flight is $90.

I can't say anything opinionated about the Texas Flying Club at Coulter airfield. However, I have never heard anything negative about them.

Best of luck to your son. It's a wonderful hobby/career interest.
Noblemen fight to the end. Victory or Death.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.