College Station / Brazos Valley Rugby Club

5,734 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by WA_Harris
Aggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay, so I am just floating this idea out there .... I played rugby while at A&M and really enjoyed it (despite being terrible at it ... haha). I have wished there was a local rugby club that I could join so that I could have an outlet and opportunity to enjoy the game. There are a lot of club teams in bigger cities including what are commonly referred to as "old man" clubs, for those of us who are not any good, not in the best of shape, and are just looking to play and enjoy the game without getting too serious. At the worst, this idea is to form a local club for fun, and at its best, it would be a great way to get some exercise.

Having said that, I am not sure I want to take on the responsibility of registering and running a rugby club, but I might do it if there was enough interest.

So, I guess what I am trying to find out is if there are enough people in the Brazos County and/or surrounding area that would be interested in something like this? If so, let me know if you would be interested and if you have played before (or have other experience), although no experience is required.

All I am doing at this point is gauging the interest to see if this is even possible and/or feasible. Thanks.

Post removed:
by user
CatEyez11
AG
This is a great idea and I'm interested to see the responses. I am an assistant coach for the A&M women's club team and would be interested in helping out if it gets started.
NightHawk150
AG
I would totally be down for this!

I played as a back with the Houston Arrows before moving back to College Station. I miss playing so much...
PellsBells09
AG
Aggie99 we probably know eachother, although we missed playing together likely by a decade.

TRU Division 3 is the way to go - I play with a Club out of Houston and if a Brazos Valley club got off the ground we'd likely get to run against each other. Of the 4 teams in our Regional Conference (Texas - South), 3 of them have guys 50+ playing regularly (including at least one wiery 60ish year old that does well). All of em have guys over 40.

Shoot me a DM. I can help you mobilize the 50 years of Aggie Rugby Family at the very least and would love another excuse to travel to CS (or nearby) at least once per year. I can probably also help you with the SFA and SHSU Alumni as well - I played in Houston with the current SHSU Alumni President too.

Gig em!

Former OM Prez
Blake '09
blake (at) civilsearch (dot) com
NightHawk150
AG
PellsBells09 said:

Aggie99 we probably know eachother, although we missed playing together likely by a decade.

TRU Division 3 is the way to go - I play with a Club out of Houston and if a Brazos Valley club got off the ground we'd likely get to run against each other. Of the 4 teams in our Regional Conference (Texas - South), 3 of them have guys 50+ playing regularly (including at least one wiery 60ish year old that does well). All of em have guys over 40.

Shoot me a DM. I can help you mobilize the 50 years of Aggie Rugby Family at the very least and would love another excuse to travel to CS (or nearby) at least once per year. I can probably also help you with the SFA and SHSU Alumni as well - I played in Houston with the current SHSU Alumni President too.

Gig em!

Former OM Prez

I actually played with this old man in Houston.
w8liftr
I've wanted to get my sons involved in a youth rugby club for a couple of years, especially as they enter high school. Rugby is so much better for developing football players than the sissified 7on7 garbage.
Aggie99
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

A bunch of guys used to have a club several years ago. Most of them were SFA and SH grads. They practiced on Sundays at one of the local parks. I'm too old and broke down these days.
Cool. If you happen to know where / when they practice, let me know. Thanks
Aggie99
AG
CatEyez11 said:

This is a great idea and I'm interested to see the responses. I am an assistant coach for the A&M women's club team and would be interested in helping out if it gets started.
CatEyez11,

(I am responding to your post, but a lot of what I am writing here are just my random-rambling thoughts on this matter, and are not really directed at you ... they are just wrapped up in this response, as I want to lay out all of my intentions before this gets going.)

Thanks for the response. I too am interested to see where this goes. My intent is to start something small, just for fun, and then see where it goes. My hope is that enough people get involved that the club becomes worth registering with USA Rugby; but for now, my purpose is to make this a completely informal gathering / club (at least in the beginning, while gauging interest).

Plus, in the beginning, I am thinking this will just be an informal rugby club where we can get together, maybe pitch the ball around a bit, etc. If enough people show up and some of them want to get more serious (competition wise), then we will hopefully have enough members to go that direction. However, I want this group to be multi-faceted in that there will be something for everyone. When I was at A&M, I loved my time on the rugby team. However, like I said before, I was not any good at playing rugby.....haha....but that didn't stop my time on the team from being one of the greatest fraternal experiences of my life. If I can recreate 1% of that with this club, then I would be thrilled. In other words, while I want there to be a competitive side (if some people want to do that), I also want there to be a non-competitive side for those who just enjoy coming out and having a good time. However, I think there is room for all of us under one roof (or under one club).

As for right now, the time commitment involved in starting a full functioning club is not something I am sure I can take on. I want a rugby club when I have time to participate, but I am not sure I have time to make it my full time responsibility (or, at least, that is my fear....and I don't want to start something that I can't finish). Between a full time job with 12-hour work days, two kids with activities, etc., I don't know if I have time to fit managing a rugby club in as well. Having said that, I think that if we can organize an informal group and get that going with some consistency, and we can find people who enjoy taking a part in it, then I think we will find those (including myself) who can manage / run the club. In other words, all of the pieces will most likely fall into place if I just get this thing started and off the ground.

Finally, seeing that you are the coach for the women's team at A&M is a huge bonus. Don't worry, I am not asking you to coach this rag-tag group of informal ruggers, but its nice to know that there will at least be a few people around that are better at teaching the game than I am (as this is a "no experience required" club and I will have to dust-off my rugby coaching techniques ... haha).

Aggie99
AG
NightHawk150 said:

I would totally be down for this!

I played as a back with the Houston Arrows before moving back to College Station. I miss playing so much...
NightHawk150,

Good to know! I have a friend from law school that is currently an Arrows rugger and I believe he is fairly involved with that club so we probably know the same people.

Aggie99
AG
PellsBells09 said:

Aggie99 we probably know each other, although we missed playing together likely by a decade.

Gig em!

Former OM Prez

BP,

Yes, I just sent you a friend request on FB (would have sent a DM but I don't think I can do that without some "stars" on my TexAgs account). I spent some time reading about the different levels and divisions (having to re-familiarize myself with how all this works), and TRU 3 seems about right. Like I wrote in another post, I think this will start as an informal club and work our way up from there.

Someone on your Houston rugby club said there was a CSTX guy who drove in every week for games and practices. Not sure who that was, but maybe it was NightHawk150, who also responded to this thread, as I believe he is a member of the same club (edit: I am just now seeing where he said you guys played together in Houston, so yeah, I am guessing that is him).

If you know where other CSTX ruggers are located, gathering, or playing, please let me know (regardless of where they went to school). For all I know, there is already an informal rugby club here.

Also, you will need to get me up-to-speed on this "touch rugby" stuff ... I am thinking an old guy like myself needs to ease back into this game, and that may be the way to go (before I get all fired up and go out there trying to hit someone ... haha ... that would end badly ... for me).
Aggie99
AG
w8liftr said:

I've wanted to get my sons involved in a youth rugby club for a couple of years, especially as they enter high school. Rugby is so much better for developing football players than the sissified 7on7 garbage.
w8liftr,

I too wish we had youth rugby in CSTX. However, like I said above, the idea for this club (right now) is to start an informal group and see where it goes. If we get enough interest, and we eventually want to start a youth rugby club, or branch of our club for youth, then that would be great.

It has always been my understanding that rugby clubs are diverse in terms of how many teams may exist under one club. For example, the "X County Rugby Club" might just be 15-20 guys who play rugby in their designated TRU division. However, the "Y County Rugby Club" might have 10 different teams, all of different ages and skill levels, playing in different divisions. So, while we will start out with a group of guys that are looking to have fun and play some rugby (like the X County example), we could end up like the Y County example. Who knows!?

Aggie99
AG
Okay, so here is what I can do for now to see if we can get this moving ... or at least gauge interest.

You can either shoot me an email at - Aggie99 at aggienetwork dot com (I think that address still works and re-directs to my gmail account) OR just post here with your email and I will take note of it. I will build a list of those who are interested and then start moving this forward. With my work schedule, this will probably move slowly, but its a start.

Vivificus
AG
I played about 5 years between HS, college and Men's Club. Interested in touch, or helping out a 15s team, I'm not really interested in playing again.
Viv
Aggie99
AG
Vivificus,

If you don't want to play that's fine. We are looking for guys who are interested in coming out and having a good time, and we may need some help teaching the game (and might need a "ref").

We will play a lot of touch at first if you are up for that.

If you are interested let me know: Aggie99 at aggienetwork dot com
Willgarcia
I just moved to college station from Houston and I'm currently looking for a club to play for. Have any developed since the forum was created?
FamousAgg
I would be up for setting up a weekly touch game or something on the weekends.
Willgarcia
I don't know many people here but I would be interested to get in contact with you to hopefully work something out. My email is willgarcia556@gmail.com if you shoot me an email hopefully we can get something started.
purplehayes
You local guys need to get this going! I have a house in College Station and am there occasionally. Coach/Ref/CMO here.
puertorean70
Would be interested in playing, never played before
FamousAgg
We need at least a weekly touch rugby game here in BCS.
WA_Harris
AG
I am willing to try and find a good field/park that we could use for some touch. If we had a place to meet and play, all we need are some bodies and a ball. I can get the ball as well. Anybody in? Perhaps next week? I played for Old Blue in NYC 1st and 2nd teams, and then played for Oxford University's second side. Let me know if you're interested/if you have an ideas for a good field we could use.

Or email me/add me to an existing list of people who are trying to find some fellow ruggers: william.harris125@gmail.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.