Low carb foods

4,877 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgFan247
BMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there any low carb food selections locally? TIA
UmustBKidding
Rib eye, wiskey 0 carbs
Prune Tracy
Freddie's will do any burger on lettuce instead of a bun.

Ahi Tuna taco at Mad Taco comes on lettuce.

Fajita meat and veggies at any Mexican restaurant
jskin261
Jimmy John's unwich
Any BBQ place
Salad
Salad
Salad

bushytailed
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

Ahi Tuna taco at Mad Taco comes on lettuce.

MT will put any of their tacos on lettuce.
betas2000
AG
Casa Rodriguez is working on adding a few keto friendly plates to the menu!
Average Joe
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Rib eye, wiskey 0 carbs

Whiskey being 0 carbs was the only way my wife got me on keto.
nashvilleaggie11
I suggest you wander on over to the Keto thread on the health and fitness board if you haven't already
The Anchor
AG
Without reviewing every menu, I would imagine almost every place has keto friendly options. Just go for the meat.
UmustBKidding
Casa do Brazil was made for it. Just tell them to keep moving when they try to interrupt your. Meat. Flow with potatoes and banana
texasaggie2015
AG
I've been doing low carb since February. I've dropped 42 pounds. Go to any burger place, do no bun. Grub is perfect for this. They'll serve it on a bed of lettuce with a side of brussel sprouts.

Mad Taco has really good salads.

Bone-in wings (not breaded) are also a good option as long as the sauce doesn't have sugar. Buffalo, Parmesan garlic, lemon pepper are fine.
Post removed:
by user
amanda04
AG
Mooyah will also do lettuce wrap burgers and turkey burgers. Stay away from the veggie patty though, not low carb.
Broncos
Anywhere that you can eat meat and pass on bread/pasta etc...
FlyRod
Hopdoddy will do burgers on lettuce instead of bun as well. Top of the Hill has a "cheeseburger salad" (seriously). Almost all Asian places can work for you...just don't eat the rice.

I've been doing lo carb here for 5 years now and find it remarkably easy, esp. except for our Italian restaurants, which are basically pasta houses. My cheat days are reserved for tacos!
BMo
Thanks very much for all the input and I found the thread on keto. I actually meant like stores that sell keto items. I will make note of the posts since I don't eat out much. The low carb requirement is due to Type 2 diabetes.
theycallmemrtibbs
BMo said:

Thanks very much for all the input and I found the thread on keto. I actually meant like stores that sell keto items. I will make note of the posts since I don't eat out much. The low carb requirement is due to Type 2 diabetes.
Perhaps I'm confused about your inquiry, but every grocery store in town sells meat and vegetables. Is there something particular you're looking for?
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

I actually meant like stores that sell keto items.
You don't need special "keto" items. Just eat real food.
viejo
Stores sell bacon. They sell bourbon. I don't know about you, but when I want to go keto......bacon and bourbon. Best part? I don't care if I lose any weight!
Justin2010
AG
Wal-Mart actually has a section in its frozen foods with some keto bread items. Very pricey though.

Heb has the best brandof low carb tortillas. They also have great prices on jalapeno poppers.

Atkins bars for dessert, or halo top ice cream. Avoid low carb desserts made with maltitol, as it spikes blood sugar.

Keto here since May '17 and down 60 pounds.
76Ag
AG
I eat low carb every day. Look in the freezer section in the grocery store for "Real Good Foods" brand. they sell low cab pizzas and enchiladas. Must Be Heaven had a Keto quiche the other day that was pretty good. I just stick to meat and non-starchy vegetables. No bread, no rice and no potatoes.
The Original AG 76
AG
76Ag said:

I eat low carb every day. Look in the freezer section in the grocery store for "Real Good Foods" brand. they sell low cab pizzas and enchiladas. Must Be Heaven had a Keto quiche the other day that was pretty good. I just stick to meat and non-starchy vegetables. No bread, no rice and no potatoes.
As long as you dont overdo it you can enjoy the many " black" breads available. A great dark rye or a deli swirl has no sugar and only 12-15 grams of " good " carbs. There is also a number of no sugar wheat breads that are excellent. Its the bleached flour stuff that is to be avoided. Even occasional brown fried rice dishes are ok.

BTW....be sure and try out some of the " new" breadless frozen breakfast thingies you can find in the frozen breakfast box. There are frittatas that look and act like muffins that are great. Also some breakfaxt sammichs just came ou tmade from egg based bread like things. I add some good hot sauce, cheese perhaps an extra sausage patty and microzap them. After a few minutes of zap I put em in my Air Fryer ( best and most used item in my kitchen) to crisp up the egg fake bread and top off with some picante......GREAT hearty and varied breakfast. Only about 6 gms of sugar ( meaningless) some good carbs and lots of flavor.
kyledr04
AG
Cauliflower rice is really good
BMo
Justin2010 said:

Wal-Mart actually has a section in its frozen foods with some keto bread items. Very pricey though.

Heb has the best brandof low carb tortillas. They also have great prices on jalapeno poppers.

Atkins bars for dessert, or halo top ice cream. Avoid low carb desserts made with maltitol, as it spikes blood sugar.

Keto here since May '17 and down 60 pounds.
Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Diabetic since 2011 so have been watching carbs for a while now. Going all in on keto.
BMo
76Ag said:

Thanks for this. No bread, rice or potatoes here in many years.
BMo
The Original AG 76 said:

76Ag said:

As long as you dont overdo it you can enjoy the many " black" breads available. A great dark rye or a deli swirl has no sugar and only 12-15 grams of " good " carbs. There is also a number of no sugar wheat breads that are excellent. Its the bleached flour stuff that is to be avoided. Even occasional brown fried rice dishes are ok.

BTW....be sure and try out some of the " new" breadless frozen breakfast thingies you can find in the frozen breakfast box. There are frittatas that look and act like muffins that are great. Also some breakfaxt sammichs just came ou tmade from egg based bread like things. I add some good hot sauce, cheese perhaps an extra sausage patty and microzap them. After a few minutes of zap I put em in my Air Fryer ( best and most used item in my kitchen) to crisp up the egg fake bread and top off with some picante......GREAT hearty and varied breakfast. Only about 6 gms of sugar ( meaningless) some good carbs and lots of flavor.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm at a point that bread is not in the cards and part of the reason for going full on keto. I make frittatas at home that are great. I use to buy the pre-made ones but learned that they are very easy to make.
TLIAC
AG
Kroger's has some low carb items that I can't find anywhere else. Really good low carb yogurt (Carb Master brand) and a sugar free balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing - Maple Hill Farms or something like that.
rhoswen
AG
I've made some baked goods using almond flour. They're all right. Mostly i'm not craving that so I can live without it. I miss juice. I love milk, but regular milk is high in carbs, so I bought FairLife and it is FANTASTIC. It's better than regular milk by far, and has half as many carbs. Kind of expensive, but whatevs.

HEB carb smart or whatever tortillas are pretty good.

Also a fan of Kroger carbmaster yogurt.

My husband likes me on low carb cuz it means we eat steak a lot. Tonight I made fried chicken strips breaded with ground pork rinds and homemade ranch for dipping, with a side of steamed broccoli.

I don't use a lot of specialty keto products, though. I'm happy with fresh meat & a veggie side. And salads!
76Ag
AG
There is a low carb baking mix called CarbQuick that my wife uses in recipes. We have found a really good low carb bread form Chompies. Go to www.chompies.com. There is also the Great low carb bread company. I have hamburger and hot dog buns from them and also sub rolls. I try to stay under 20 grams of carbs a day but it may work out closer to 25. I take only one metformin pill a day and my A1C from 8/10/18 was 5.6. I never go outside the lines because I don't want to take more medicine.
BMo
Thanks so much, appreciate this additional info. <20 carbs per day is the goal. We are using almond flower already but like the pork rind idea.
BMo
76Ag said:

I take only one metformin pill a day and my A1C from 8/10/18 was 5.6. I never go outside the lines because I don't want to take more medicine.
Congrats on the great A1C. Been eating this way for the past several weeks with a little cheating of sugar free stuff and my readings have greatly improved.
76Ag
AG
The only things that tempt me are fried chicken, pecan pie, pecan pancakes and ice cream. It's been a long time since I've had any of those. I go by carb count and not calories and "sugar-free" foods usually have substantial carb counts.
BMo
76Ag said:

The only things that tempt me are fried chicken, pecan pie, pecan pancakes and ice cream. It's been a long time since I've had any of those. I go by carb count and not calories and "sugar-free" foods usually have substantial carb counts.
I miss those things too. Definitely have to check the labels. Wife and I have gone keto except for a few items that I'll eat because I refuse to throw away good food but they are almost gone. My glucose readings have trended down in an exceptional manner for the past 10 days so I'm happy. Walk 45 minutes, 6 days a week also.
halibut sinclair
Try Halo Top ice cream.
rhoswen
AG
HEB has a low-carb ice cream brand that's really good but it's called Arctic something.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.