Fixed Broadband

4,425 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RockofAges
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the best fixed wireless internet company in BCS (if you can't use Brazos Wifi)?
Who has the highest monthly data caps?
LOYAL AG
AG
Largely going to depend on where you are in town. Brazos WIFI and CEO don't have much overlap in their coverage areas so if you can't use one odds are decent the other is your only reasonable option.
saltydog13
AG
Rise broadband. Data cap of 350 gb
Counterpoint
AG
saltydog13 said:

Do you get the speeds they promised you? (more or less)

LOYAL AG
AG
saltydog13 said:

It's been a quite a while since I was a customer of their's but I remember posting on here more than once that they were literally the worst company I'd ever done business with and that I'd never go back. Have they suddenly gotten reliable service and tech support that's quicker than 2-3 weeks from the time you call?
tbone94
AG
Same
saltydog13
AG
Haven't had any issues with them in the 2 years I've had it and getting the 25mbps I'm paying for
GSS
saltydog13 said:

Haven't had any issues with them in the 2 years I've had it and getting the 25mbps I'm paying for
We pay for 10M, typically get 8.5-9.5. The tower we are on is starting to see a slowdown during the evenings (peak use). Reliable service, no equipment issues.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
We have Rise. We pay for 15meg and get 13 down pretty consistently.

Their customer service has been ok.
saltydog13
AG
Did a speed test and got 34 down/15 up
BrazosWifi
350GB cap?!
Wowzers.

We have users pulling down nearly 2TB a month.
Although, if you're not in our coverage area, that doesn't do you much good.

Rise has improved a lot in the last few months. Aside from the week long outages that seem to happen every few months.
Tex Aggie
AG
What would it take for you to get set up on the wixon valley water tower? My problem is everyone wants to stick a huge antenna on my house to get better reception
But it seems like the signal isn't being broadcast from a high enough point to begin with.
Counterpoint
AG
BrazosWifi said:

350GB cap?!
Wowzers.

Although, if you're not in our coverage area, that doesn't do you much good.

Rise has improved a lot in the last few months. Aside from the week long outages that seem to happen every few months.
I wish we could use you! The second company I tried after I found out our property was barely out of range for BrazosWifi won't call me back! I've emailed, filled out a form on their website, and called many times. They keep saying they will get to me soon. It's been two weeks, and still nothing. Seems really weird that they aren't motivated to sign up someone who wanted to be their customer so badly.

So I finally got frustrated and called Rise. Their customer service couldn't have been nicer or more efficient (I had heard the horror stories as well). I feel like I have to go with them now, simply out of principle. We'll see how it goes...

JP76
Where are you located roughly ?

saltydog13
AG
I'm waiting for the day I can switch to you. Unfortunately I had to do a 2 year contract to even get 350gb. Otherwise it's 250gb data cap
Counterpoint
AG
JP76 said:

Off Hwy 30 near BCS Church of Christ.
BrazosWifi
Tex Aggie said:

What would it take for you to get set up on the wixon valley water tower? My problem is everyone wants to stick a huge antenna on my house to get better reception
But it seems like the signal isn't being broadcast from a high enough point to begin with.

Rise has that water tower under exclusive leasr.
Shoot me your address and I'll add you to my perspective list. (I dont spam)
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
JP76
Counterpoint said:

JP76 said:

Best thing to do with Rise is call with your address. Then ask them for nearby streets that have their service near your address. They won't give you exact address but will say we have 4 customers on x street or 7 on y street. Then go to the streets, find the dishes and personaly talk to the neighbors and see what their thoughts are on the service before you sign up.
JP76
Counterpoint said:

JP76 said:

Are you on the church side ?
Brazos wifi map shows coverage if you are. Or are there trees in the way of the line of sight ?

Best thing to do with Rise is call with your address. Then ask them for nearby streets that have their service near your address. They won't give you exact address but will say we have 4 customers on x street or 7 on y street. Then go to the streets, find the dishes and personaly talk to the neighbors and see what their thoughts are on the service before you sign up.
jskin261
I know Suddenlink services Hwy 30 because we have fiber service from them currently.
BrazosWifi
jskin261 said:

I know Suddenlink services Hwy 30 because we have fiber service from them currently.

Fiber services are very different than residential cable services. We too have fiber along 30. That doesn't mean cable modems are everywhere.
AgTrip
Have rise for work. They suck! Terrible customer service. They were the only provider in that area at the time when we built. Can't wait for cable to get out here
Post removed:
by user
BrazosWifi
AgTrip said:

Have rise for work. They suck! Terrible customer service. They were the only provider in that area at the time when we built. Can't wait for cable to get out here

I'd love to see if we can service your location.

There's not much I enjoy more than rescuing folks from poor internet.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Counterpoint
AG
JP76 said:

Counterpoint said:

JP76 said:

Rise ended up not working here either, but my experience with them (and Brazos WiFi) was great other than that. So I'm still internetless except for my phone. And the only other company I can find STILL hasn't called me back! I don't want to get satellite internet if I don't have to, but this is getting ridiculous.
Gasbandit
I know this is a bit of a necro-bump to this thread, but I'd like to just throw in that I've had a fair amount of dealing with both Brazos Wifi and Rise Broadband, and I'm much happier with Brazos Wifi. Rise has typically crapped out on me for days at a time every other month or so, and getting support out of them is like pulling teeth. Brazos Wifi has been much more reliable and much more responsive to support requests. If you have a choice between the two, I'd emphatically recommend Brazos Wifi over Rise. They've done nothing but right by us.
tbone94
AG
Gasbandit said:

I know this is a bit of a necro-bump to this thread, but I'd like to just throw in that I've had a fair amount of dealing with both Brazos Wifi and Rise Broadband, and I'm much happier with Brazos Wifi. Rise has typically crapped out on me for days at a time every other month or so, and getting support out of them is like pulling teeth. Brazos Wifi has been much more reliable and much more responsive to support requests. If you have a choice between the two, I'd emphatically recommend Brazos Wifi over Rise. They've done nothing but right by us.
Same
samsal75
AG
Brazos WiFi set us up yesterday in Austin's Estates! Had to put up with Frontier way too long but Brazos WiFi eventuality did find a solution and so begins a new era. The call to Frontier cancelling their 5-7mbs service felt great!!! Thanks Brazos WiFi for not giving up on our area.
GSS
RISE had been reliable for the area around Snook, but oversold the capacity on their system (located on tower just west of Snook).

Billing credits being issued, and via an email they acknowledged the problem, but no timeline for being resolved.
10M service falls to 1.0M during peak use..

Not sure which provider it is, but a new broadband system was installed on the Snook water tower. May need to ask around...
InMyOpinion
BrazosWifi said:

350GB cap?!
Wowzers.

Thankfully I got Suddenlink cause I would hit my cap on day 5 and it's not even football season yet. I will probably hit 3 TB each month during football season.
leathal02
AG
We have rise in Brenham. 50 meg package. Initially had the 350gb cap. They told us to just go to the commercial package which was the same price because we were going over. So now we have the 50 meg package with no cap. We range from getting 15-40 most of the time with 15 during peak times. Have seen over 50 a few times. Not great as far as reliability but it's what we got.
Counterpoint
AG
Gasbandit said:

Believe me, if I could choose Brazos Wifi OR Rise over what I have, I would switch in an instant!
BrazosWifi
Gasbandit said:

Thanks for the kind words!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Gasbandit said:

same!

They are quick about sending out outage notices (outages are pretty rare) and keeping folks in the loop about what they are doing about it
foo00
AG
samsal75, I'm curious why you wouldn't have gone with VXV in the AE area? They've been out there for a year sending me fliers with faster speeds that Rise and lower prices than Brazos Wifi? Just wanted the established company vs the new kid?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.