Aggieland
Sponsored By

Living North of Northgate? (noise question)

emeemay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy all,

I've recently accepted a full-time position with the university, and I'm looking for a new place. I've found a few in my price range (duplex/fourplex/house types, not one of the huge apartment complexes) between one and three blocks north of all the bars at Northgate, which I like since it'll allow me to bike to work in the fall.

I'm not super sensitive to noise, but I like having a quiet house, and I'd prefer not to hear the bars and music from there when my my door/windows are closed.

Has anyone had noise problems living near the NG area? Have you had any other problems living around there?

K2T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to live on Nagle, just north of Foch, and you'll be able to hear noise from outdoor music/events on Northgate and football games in a quiet house. There was an event going on at Northgate one night, and some rude neighbor called the cops on MY house for making the noise while we were quietly having a movie night, sooo I guess be glad I don't live there anymore to terrorize you with my quiet, low key movie nights!

Edited to add: Also, your street parking will fill up fast on any game or event days, sometimes drunk people walking to their cars will pull out stop signs and put them on top of your car in your own driveway, and you'll feel like Kramer when Kenny Roger's Roasters was open next door if the jumbotron is on. It's wonderful to be able to live in a truly walkable and easily bikeable area, though.
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another place you might consider is Campus Crossing, on Marion Pugh. It is a bigger complex than those you mentioned, but it is close to campus and actually pretty quiet. Lots of one and two bedrooms. It isn't fancy looking on the outside, but the apartments are clean and up to date. It is where some of the grad students I know live and they have been happy there.
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lived there for years. still do.
It's rare I hear anything from northgate. Back when schotzis was trying to be a "music" venue they would crank it up and we would call CSPD on them.

Noise isn't a problem, possible lack of parking can be. The further north you go it lessens, but if you are off first, Boyett, COllege Main, Nagle, and south of Natalie or Foch street parking fills up on class and gamedays.

Again, Lived off Boyett for 8+ years and don't have any problems with noise from the bars.
It's a great place to live. close enough to walk/bike to campus. easy access to both the Bryan and College Station HEBs. And easy to visit northgate and not have to drive.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lived off Cherry back in the day, no problems. But that was before all the high rises went up.

If you can, swing out there after midnight sometime. Unfortunately you won't get a full picture of how loud it will be until after school starts, but it might give you an idea.
THE PRESIDENT: This is your favorite president, and I think you are fantastic.

RUSH: (laughing)
emeemay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oogway said:

Another place you might consider is Campus Crossing, on Marion Pugh. It is a bigger complex than those you mentioned, but it is close to campus and actually pretty quiet. Lots of one and two bedrooms. It isn't fancy looking on the outside, but the apartments are clean and up to date. It is where some of the grad students I know live and they have been happy there.
Thanks for the suggestion! I don't care much about outside looks as long as it's functional and clean inside, honestly. My only requirements for a place right now are 1) must have dishwasher and 2) must allow cats :'D
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think they allow pets; I don't know if they require a deposit.
emeemay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scruffy said:

Lived there for years. still do.
It's rare I hear anything from northgate. Back when schotzis was trying to be a "music" venue they would crank it up and we would call CSPD on them.

Noise isn't a problem, possible lack of parking can be. The further north you go it lessens, but if you are off first, Boyett, COllege Main, Nagle, and south of Natalie or Foch street parking fills up on class and gamedays.

Again, Lived off Boyett for 8+ years and don't have any problems with noise from the bars.
It's a great place to live. close enough to walk/bike to campus. easy access to both the Bryan and College Station HEBs. And easy to visit northgate and not have to drive.
I was looking at Boyett Flats (?) and another place on Boyett, so that's good to hear! Thanks
emeemay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

Lived off Cherry back in the day, no problems. But that was before all the high rises went up.

If you can, swing out there after midnight sometime. Unfortunately you won't get a full picture of how loud it will be until after school starts, but it might give you an idea.
I'm hoping to move in November (edit: my family is local to the area, so I'm staying with them at the moment), so I do have some time. This is a good suggestion! I'll give it a shot.
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may have a place also if you would like to text me at 979-eight two o - l87o. Gary

We are 90percent grad students. Thanks.
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll tag onto the last.

Most of us in the area are grad students, working people, or undergrads either older or otherwise without "daddy's" money.
It's rare to deal with loud or obnoxious students.
With the recent "gentrification" happening, many of the more "urban" residents in the area who enjoyed blasting bass from cars at odd hours have left. What is left are us hard working people (either grad student or other) who enjoy the lower rent cost.

wellcome to the "hood" of NoGaCoSta.
emeemay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scruffy said:

I'll tag onto the last.

Most of us in the area are grad students, working people, or undergrads either older or otherwise without "daddy's" money.
It's rare to deal with loud or obnoxious students.
With the recent "gentrification" happening, many of the more "urban" residents in the area who enjoyed blasting bass from cars at odd hours have left. What is left are us hard working people (either grad student or other) who enjoy the lower rent cost.

wellcome to the "hood" of NoGaCoSta.


Putting aside the y i k e s undertones of that last bit, I'm glad that what I've found in my research basically matches the reality of an older but decent/affordable area. Too bad about the high rises tho

Edit: Okay actually I'm not done with this. You understand that "urban residents" vs "hardworking people" and so on is long-standing coded racism right? Gentrification is what happens when middle class (white) people move in and price out the (black, hispanic, not-white) folks who lived here before? Like, none of what you said in that last paragraph was anything approaching subtle. The high rise student apartments are having a detrimental effect on being able to afford living in NG, according to what you're saying.

Finally, the HOOD? Are you serious right now?
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
emeemay said:

Scruffy said:

I'll tag onto the last.

Most of us in the area are grad students, working people, or undergrads either older or otherwise without "daddy's" money.
It's rare to deal with loud or obnoxious students.
With the recent "gentrification" happening, many of the more "urban" residents in the area who enjoyed blasting bass from cars at odd hours have left. What is left are us hard working people (either grad student or other) who enjoy the lower rent cost.

wellcome to the "hood" of NoGaCoSta.


Putting aside the y i k e s undertones of that last bit, I'm glad that what I've found in my research basically matches the reality of an older but decent/affordable area. Too bad about the high rises tho

Edit: Okay actually I'm not done with this. You understand that "urban residents" vs "hardworking people" and so on is long-standing coded racism right? Gentrification is what happens when middle class (white) people move in and price out the (black, hispanic, not-white) folks who lived here before? Like, none of what you said in that last paragraph was anything approaching subtle. The high rise student apartments are having a detrimental effect on being able to afford living in NG, according to what you're saying.

Finally, the HOOD? Are you serious right now?
Not defending him but I suspect he's making broad reference to some of the racial incidents on Northgate. Some white kids got beaten at the McDonald's over there and later died in a wreck on the way to the hospital some while back.
emeemay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

emeemay said:

Scruffy said:

I'll tag onto the last.

Most of us in the area are grad students, working people, or undergrads either older or otherwise without "daddy's" money.
It's rare to deal with loud or obnoxious students.
With the recent "gentrification" happening, many of the more "urban" residents in the area who enjoyed blasting bass from cars at odd hours have left. What is left are us hard working people (either grad student or other) who enjoy the lower rent cost.

wellcome to the "hood" of NoGaCoSta.


Putting aside the y i k e s undertones of that last bit, I'm glad that what I've found in my research basically matches the reality of an older but decent/affordable area. Too bad about the high rises tho

Edit: Okay actually I'm not done with this. You understand that "urban residents" vs "hardworking people" and so on is long-standing coded racism right? Gentrification is what happens when middle class (white) people move in and price out the (black, hispanic, not-white) folks who lived here before? Like, none of what you said in that last paragraph was anything approaching subtle. The high rise student apartments are having a detrimental effect on being able to afford living in NG, according to what you're saying.

Finally, the HOOD? Are you serious right now?
Not defending him but I suspect he's making broad reference to some of the racial incidents on Northgate. Some white kids got beaten at the McDonald's over there and later died in a wreck on the way to the hospital some while back.
That's awful. That also seems like an isolated extreme, and weak-at-best grounds for the attitude above.

All this aside, this is a thread about noise issues in Northgate, not whether or not the demographics have improved since the high-rises moved in.

AgGunNut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Noise issues aside, it was/is one of the higher crime areas of College Station. The "gentrification" may actually be fixing that. The Bryan portion of Northgate, while not as high crime area as some parts of Bryan, does still have its fair share as well. Something to consider...
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While Scruffy is capable of speaking for himself, I would like to add that a long running joke on this local board is the abbreviation for parts of town. It started with CStat and has progressed exponentially to other parts of town to include all the cardinal and ordinal directions. Since we had just had a debate regarding whether a business was south CStat or not, I figured it was that to which the 'hood' referred.

Carry on with the noise.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.