Internet Service Providers

1,372 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by momtaxi
CTP93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

Looking for info on local ISP's. My daughter just moved to a new place, and the landlord mentioned Suddenlink. But the reviews were horrible.

Anyone have any input?

Also, they signed up for something called Simplebills to split their utilities. Do services like that cover ISP's as well? Would be awesome if she could just pay her portion each month automatically.

Oogway
Oh boy, are you in for some fun. I think a lot depends on her location, which I can understand if you don't want to get real specific with, but maybe give a general area; like within two miles of campus etc.

As far as SimpleBills, a lot of complexes use that and my experience was that it covered utilities because some places cover wifi, etc. Our experience with Suddenlink in a complex was fine but like a lot of things, it depends on the complex and what her needs are. If she is in a house, then that is going to be a different experience altogether.
Rex Racer
AG
Suddenlink is the best you're going to find around here, at least as far as speed goes.
CTP93
AG
Over off SW Pkwy
Tariny
Sadly, for internet, Suddenlink is her best option. They were running some summer specials, not sure if they still are since they can charge anything they want to for the next 2 months with all of the students arriving.

I suggest keeping an eye on your bill, they like to raise the price randomly. I have to call them at least once a year, sometimes twice a year, to negotiate the price back down. It usually takes me calling to ask what equipment I need to return to them in order for them to believe that I will leave them again.

So in other words, the reviews you read are correct, they stink. But we do not have an alternative here really, not if you want fast and dependable.
techno-ag
AG
It's Suddenlink as your primary option but honestly if she just needs basic access get an unlimited data plan on her phone. Some include movie streaming for free. Use public WiFi and/or University WiFi for other stuff. I think someone on a budget can get by without Suddenlink if they have to. Just throwing that out there.
momtaxi
We've had sudden link going in 10 years now for internet. Have only had a problem with it 1 time and that ended up being the modem we had bought. Yes their customer service department sucks because they try to make you think they can actually do something over the phone and when they can't(they really can't ) they want to send someone out to make you think that it's your equipments fault. The techs that come out usually fix stuff that doesn't need to be fixed and tell you it's all interconnected. It is in a way but not enough to actually hurt what you were actually having a problem with. You will get that 1 tech that knows what he's doing and fix it right. It took 3 techs to get that guy and we haven't had problems since
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.