Lupe Tortilla - dog in dining room

16,953 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RDH80
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At least they got rid of smoking in restaurants. I'll take the occasional well-behaved dog over cigarette smoke any day.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
CharlieBrown17
AG
Seems ridiculous service animals aren't require to have some kind of documentation.

Don't see how having to produce a form of ID for your service animal should be considered a problem, discrimination or any of that other bull****
snaglepuss
TaterTot_09 said:

The least they could've done is gone on Amazon and bought a service dog vest like I did for my Chihuahua. It makes him seem more legit
That is the problem right there. There are only a few legal service dog companies out there that legit. Don't buy a vest just to bring your pet to a restaurant!
TequilaMockingbird
That's why I only eat at Chinese/Oriental/Asian restaurants. You never see dogs around them.
TXAG 05
AG
What difference does it make if a dog is in a restaurant? As long as it isn't jumping on your table, it has no effect on you.
Oogway
I don't have a background in this, but it is my understanding that untrained emotional support animals do not have protection under the ADA? I would be interested if someone would happen to know if the restaurant owner could be held liable if such a dog were to bite another patron? I'm fairly certain the pet owner could be, but would the establishment be considered negligent?

Service dogs undergo intensive and thorough training, and while many nonservice dogs are well-trained, this issue may become more prevalent if the current trend continues.
Rexter
Oogway said:

I don't have a background in this, but it is my understanding that untrained emotional support animals do not have protection under the ADA? I would be interested if someone would happen to know if the restaurant owner could be held liable if such a dog were to bite another patron? I'm fairly certain the pet owner could be, but would the establishment be considered negligent?

Service dogs undergo intensive and thorough training, and while many nonservice dogs are well-trained, this issue may become more prevalent if the current trend continues.

The business personnel can only legally ask if the animal is a service animal, and what is it trained to do. Anything further is against federal law.

"Mah feels" animals are not service animals and have no protection as such. The catch is that if the animal owner says it is a service animal, there is no way to question that without running afoul of federal law.
RDH80
AG
Staff generally don't ask the second question . Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to do?
Businesses dont want to be accused of being discriminatory , so they just allow it.

trouble
AG
It doesn't really matter if they ask the second question. They aren't allowed to ask to see the animal perform so there's not really a reason to ask.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Just like with anything else, "give em an inch and they'll take a mile."

I have a military background, and have a great appreciation and thorough understanding about service animals and what they can provide for their owners. That said, I've noticed an exponential increase in the number of "service animals" over the last couple of years. *******s are taking advantage of a society that has been conditioned to just accept without question.

Trust, but verify. If you can't prove your animal is a service animal, keep them out of restaurants, among other places animals don't belong.
Charli
Just a thought....

If a service dog is needed, some type of medical ID (or medical bag with equipment) would also be closely associated with the individual.

While I completely agree there is quite a bit of levity with regard to "service" dogs and items should be revisited, I will defend the ADA on this regulation. I have had the honor of observing a dog trained to detect epileptic seizures. This dog's charge was a very young child. It was truly amazing to observe the dog "signal" and watch the child's caregiver anticipate the seizure by providing a safe space & medically prepare. The dog was even trained to "shield" the child from harm. That team (the trainers, owners/caregiver & dog) was a prime example of the intent of that portion of the ADA.
LastHamlet
AG
So the dog left before you were eating your meal? If so then you really didn't eat with a dog.
EMY92
AG
Not always.

I have type 1 diabetes. I do not carry any medical ID or noticeable equipment.

I could get a service dog that is trained to alert when blood glucose levels are dropping, but I don't want to spend that much on a dog and I know I would spoil it and destroy it's training.

Most people would have no idea that I am considered disabled. I am very fit and appear to be very healthy.
JP76
According to the map it looks like he is going to skip the Somalia scared straight tour.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Broncos said:

FlyRod said:

I think my pup and I will be dining at Lupe Tortilla today.

Same. We should start a group.
I'm all in. I think dachshunds make great tacos if you add enough guacamole.
Nom de Plume
AG
"Would you like dog or non?"
australopithecus robustus
Bottom line is that this sucks for business owners and John Q Public needs to know more, understand it, and then take action through legislation
chiwowwow
I love dogs, cats, goats, llamas and all of God's creatures but really disagree that they need to come shopping or eat inside a restaurant. I have been present at a local eatery in the past and witnessed a dog defecate right in the middle of the place. Employees all walked around it laughing, finally one came and picked it up. We have not been back since. The health department worries about an employees handbag sitting on a table but does not feel a dog pooping in an establishment is cause enough to ban animals from eateries. This baffles me! What about them shaking loose hair, parasites and allergy ridden dander all over the place or leaving fleas behind?

What makes me curious is why one feels the need to take your pet to the store or specifically a restaurant? Does the pet ask to go shopping at Petco, does it have to pick out its own supplies? Again, love dogs but more times than not, as I peruse the aisles at said store there inevitably will be that dog that jumps on me as the owner looks the other way not paying attention.

Before the "dog group" attacks me, I have advice when your dog asks for a date..DOG PARK!
Dawale
"Not allowed to ask" seems like a first amendment violation in my opinion.
LastHamlet
AG
You actually used PETCO as an example of a store to not bring pets into? Don't they sell and groom pets there?
techno-ag
AG
Dawale said:

It's a service establishment. You have to serve people regardless. You may not deny service to anyone, at the risk of lawsuit or bad publicity.
halibut sinclair
Oogway
Re: the doggie 'accident,': yeah, that would pretty much turn my stomach. I'm not usually squeamish, but at least in most restaurants what I don't know is going on in the kitchen is 'out of sight, out of mind,' that just plants it all right in front of me....
Post removed:
by user
Tom Hagen
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

That's why I only eat at Chinese/Oriental/Asian restaurants. You never see dogs around them.
Except on the plate.
gettingitdone
I know that "service animals" must be allowed per the federal gov't and ADA, but do "comfort" or "emotional support" animals?

EMY92
AG
gettingitdone said:

I know that "service animals" must be allowed per the federal gov't and ADA, but do "comfort" or "emotional support" animals?

No, only service animals.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
It will make for an interesting scenario the first time someone's untrained "comfort...ahem service" animal comes unhinged, lunges at someone with an LTC, and the person kills the dog right there in the restaurant.
trouble
AG
gettingitdone said:

No, but the people bring those in know the rules and lie.
InMyOpinion
chiwowwow said:

I have been present at a local eatery in the past and witnessed a dog defecate right in the middle of the place. Employees all walked around it laughing, finally one came and picked it up.

I can see the wait staff sanitizing after the owner cleanup up but for the owner to not take the initiative to clean up after their dog is pathetic. That would be like a parent handing a baby over to the wait staff expecting them to change a dirty diaper.

If you have a service animal you should have everything you need to properly clean up.

Not sure I could have kept my mouth shut.
Dawale
techno-ag said:

Dawale said:

It's a service establishment. You have to serve people regardless. You may not deny service to anyone, at the risk of lawsuit or bad publicity.
I never said anything about not serving. I'm talking about asking a question. If you aren't allowed by law to ask a question that is a violation of the 1st amendment.
rockelle

So you didn't have to eat with a dog. But, a dog did pass through for a matter of seconds. Then, you were so offended by the mere sight of man's best friend that you've basically labeled this restaurant a barnyard?

The patio is in the rear of the restaurant, perhaps she was passing through the dining area? Who's the snowflake in this thread?

You should have hung around for the Steak Lupe I highly recommend it.
trouble
AG
You can ask but they only have to answer those 2 questions.

And there are plenty of legal restrictions on speech. There are questions you can't ask in job interviews as well.
Broncos
It's 2018. Maybe the dog was identifying as a human.
legalbird
Fleas can bite OUCH

Dog poo can stink

I hope business owner try to protect their $$$ otherwise, sanitation costs will increase.

Also, patrons will drop off like flies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.