Lupe Tortilla - dog in dining room

16,808 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RDH80
K2T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
one MEEN Ag said:

And whoever thought of therapy pigs should have their 'service animal' turned into bacon in front of their eyes.
Jeez. That's brutal. Pigs are just as intelligent, if not more intelligent than dogs.
Satellite of Love
pepe the dog said:

There should be an official clearing house for service dogs.

I was in a Walmart one day and an older couple was pushing their two little dogs in a shopping cart. A customer challenged them and they said they were both service dogs......one for each person.

I love dogs but some dog owners are not playing with a full deck.

I heard another story of a legit service dog for an Afghanistan war vet had his service dog attacked by a fellow customers "service dog".

A trained service dog would never be aggressive in a situation like that.

Service dogs should have documentation.

A quick easy test is a true service dog will sit there and pay attention to the owner. Their job is to assist the person so they are trained to ignore everything else. A normal dog will be all over the place.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
The Anchor
AG
K2T2 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

And whoever thought of therapy pigs should have their 'service animal' turned into bacon in front of their eyes.
Jeez. That's brutal. Pigs are just as intelligent, if not more intelligent than dogs.
But pigs taste way better!

(this is based on the presumption that some Asian food I ate may contain something I wasn't aware of)
australopithecus robustus
I have a friend who is a vet and has PTSD. He has a service dog, but there is absolutely no way to tell that he needs the dog and that the dog is a service dog. His dog is also very large and hairy.

If he walks into The Republic with that dog, they would have to let him keep the dog there, or possibly face a federal lawsuit.

That's what people who just automatically write off businesses out of ignorance to the issue need to understand.
75AG
AG
Why doesn't your friend get a bona fide service animal vest for the dog?
BrazosDog02
AG
Broncos said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Tumble Weed said:

If I see a dog when I walk in a place I turn around and walk back out.

Surprised that Hershel's would allow a dog in there. Kind of sad, because it has a nice laid-back vibe, and good music occasionally.

This. I have and will cease eating at any part of my meal, collect my things and immediately walk out the door if I see it at any time. I will politely explain the reason I am leaving if convenient or at least call later and explain. That is the end of that discussion.

Oh, the irony of your name. Also, I hope they prosecute for theft.
Bruh...I'm a canine of honor.

I pro-rate all meals.
The point is that he doesn't have to. Honestly I don't know if he has one or not.
trouble
AG
Why? You can buy those on Amazon for non service animals.
91_Aggie
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

I have a friend who is a vet and has PTSD. He has a service dog, but there is absolutely no way to tell that he needs the dog and that the dog is a service dog. His dog is also very large and hairy.

If he walks into The Republic with that dog, they would have to let him keep the dog there, or possibly face a federal lawsuit.

That's what people who just automatically write off businesses out of ignorance to the issue need to understand.
not to discount PTSD and such, but if he's going out to eat at the Republic for about 2 hours or so, does he really need the dog for those two hours... or is it more of, "Well, since I'm allowed to do it, I'm going to do it even if I would be fine for those 2 hours".

It seems that if people are going out to eat with friends/family, and the service dog is not because they are blind, i.e. it's one of those I need it to cope with life, then it seems that those people would be fine without the dog for those 1 or 2 hours since they are with people they know.

To me, it just seems like MOST of the people claiming "service dogs" status are just those crazy "dog people" that think they are part of the family and just want an excuse to take their dog everywhere.
cslifer
A dog for ptsd would be a comfort dog, not a service dog. As service dog must be trained to do a task, being there to pet is not a task.
He says it's a service dog, but that's still besides the point.

The point is that anyone could walk in with a dog To Republic and the Business would be taking a risk by asking them to leave, by the way the laws are written.

Let's not even get started on what if the dog bites someone and the Business can then be sued. Very unfair for Business in general.
EMY92
AG
It's getting ridiculous, I saw this guy out dinning alone!

thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
EMY92 said:

It's getting ridiculous, I saw this guy out dinning alone!

A fine selection sir!
Aggie Owned and Operated by Jarrad and Elisha McLeod Class of 2003 and 2006! The Official Mattress Provider of TexAgs!
StringerBell
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

another reason that the ADA is one of the worst pieces of legislation ever signed by a R President ( Bush41) . Like damn near ALL well intentioned goodie goodie feel good pieces of crap that comes out of our various governments this act has cause the waste of hundreds of millions of dollars on idiotic foolishnes and benefits damn near no one who it was intended to help.
might be one of the dumbest things ive ever read on texags, congrats.
StringerBell
AG
91_Aggie said:

australopithecus robustus said:

not to discount PTSD and such, but if he's going out to eat at the Republic for about 2 hours or so, does he really need the dog for those two hours... or is it more of, "Well, since I'm allowed to do it, I'm going to do it even if I would be fine for those 2 hours".

It seems that if people are going out to eat with friends/family, and the service dog is not because they are blind, i.e. it's one of those I need it to cope with life, then it seems that those people would be fine without the dog for those 1 or 2 hours since they are with people they know.

To me, it just seems like MOST of the people claiming "service dogs" status are just those crazy "dog people" that think they are part of the family and just want an excuse to take their dog everywhere.

PTSD isnt something a veteran can turn on and off for a couple of hours when convenient to patrons around him/her. id imagine that if a veteran has a service dog with them its because he/she needs the dog around them.
cslifer
While I do see your point, a dog that provides "comfort" by simply being present isn't trained to perform a task for a person. It is not a service dog. For some reason people seem to think that because their doctor/therapist/chiropractor/psychic says "you should get a dog" that makes it a service animal.
StringerBell
AG
in the specific case of a veteran with a service animal, the animal is trained to perform a specific task, whether it be calming the person down if anxiety hits or something else. if the animal has a vest on it and is trained as a service animal then yes, there is a specific task its trained to do regardless of whether you see the potential for it it or not. not all disabilities are blatantly visible.

i can agree with you in relation to emotional support animals. but there is a stark difference between the two.

cslifer
We will just have to disagree on that. Calming someone down when they have anxiety sure sounds like emotional support to me.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I have absolutely no problem with service dogs or support dogs.

The problem is, those cases are being overshadowed by people who stuff their chihuahua into carry along bags wherever they go because "Princess doesn't like to be left alone at the house."

I'm just guessing, but I'd say that 9 out of 10 dogs you come across in restaurants and in stores are the result of owners lying about "needing" them and cannot produce any documentation about it. And if asked to produce anything, they will scream and yell that they shouldn't have to prove anything and that they will be going to Facebook to blast the establishment for discrimination.

And so no one asks them about it and Princess gets to go out to eat with the family.
techno-ag
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

The problem is, those cases are being overshadowed by people who stuff their chihuahua into carry along bags wherever they go because "Princess doesn't like to be left alone at the house."

I'm just guessing, but I'd say that 9 out of 10 dogs you come across in restaurants and in stores are the result of owners lying about "needing" them and cannot produce any documentation about it. And if asked to produce anything, they will scream and yell that they shouldn't have to prove anything and that they will be going to Facebook to blast the establishment for discrimination.

And so no one asks them about it and Princess gets to go out to eat with the family.
Yup. Got to admit there's a high sense of entitlement these days.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
GSS
The late, great Paul Harvey once said: "Self government won't work without self discipline", The constant need for more "laws" (many with unintended consequences) is often based on his quote.
StringerBell
AG
sounds like you have no experience interacting with folks who have PTSD

it's more than just "anxiety"

and hell crippling anxiety is a ***** to deal with too
75AG
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

If you can stuff a dog into a carry-on, it's not a dog.
cslifer
Oh I have plenty of experience in dealing with it, I was simply responding to your post, you were the one that mentioned the anxiety.
BrazosDog02
AG
StringerBell said:

The Original AG 76 said:

another reason that the ADA is one of the worst pieces of legislation ever signed by a R President ( Bush41) . Like damn near ALL well intentioned goodie goodie feel good pieces of crap that comes out of our various governments this act has cause the waste of hundreds of millions of dollars on idiotic foolishnes and benefits damn near no one who it was intended to help.
Is this the same legislation that leads to 436 empty handicapped spots in the front of HEB?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
If you need a dog to go to a restaurant, just stay home. You're hardly contributing to the betterment of society.
The Original AG 76
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

StringerBell said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Is this the same legislation that leads to 436 empty handicapped spots in the front of HEB?
Yep..and Fred and Ethyl being forced to put in a expensive ADA compliant bathroom(s), entrance and handicapped parking in the 900 sq ft 2 room Mertz Insurance Agency building where absolutely NO employees nor the public will ever set foot.
expresswrittenconsent
Some one ask 76 his thoughts on the civil rights act of 1964 and the 13th-15th amendments to the constitution.
Maybe a ranking of all 5 (ada, civil rights, 13th-15th amend).
Okenstradingpost
I get it I do, I'd leave also
StringerBell
AG
oh no Fred and ethyl need to comply with the law how sad for them
BrazosDog02
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

BrazosDog02 said:

StringerBell said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Yep..and Fred and Ethyl being forced to put in a expensive ADA compliant bathroom(s), entrance and handicapped parking in the 900 sq ft 2 room Mertz Insurance Agency building where absolutely NO employees nor the public will ever set foot.

Yep. That about sums up my feelings as well.
AggieBarstool
GiveEmHellBill said:

Yep. Welcome to the point I made 3 pages ago.
Broncos
The Original AG 76 said:

BrazosDog02 said:

StringerBell said:

The Original AG 76 said:

How are they in business if they have no employees though?
Tigermom84
AG
Let's just all go watch "Alpha" and call it a day.
RDH80
AG
ADA recognizes service animals trained to help for PTSD. They are not considered comfort animals .
Still, the business can ask the two questions without facing a federal lawsuit...is it a trained service dog and what task is it trained to do.
If they refuse entry after that then a fed
eral lawsuit is warranted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.