Aggieland
Sponsored By

Lupe Tortilla - dog in dining room

Jim65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand that public facilities are required to allow service animals and their owners to enter. Tonight, my wife and I decided to try Lupe Tortilla, not having eaten there before. While waiting for our meal, a woman left with a dog on a leash - no indication that this was a service animal (blue jacket, service animal coat, etc.) walking from the rear of the dining room out the front door.

I went to the hostess desk and asked if animals were allowed inside. The young lady said "we assume that it was a service dog and are not allowed to ask". I complained, telling her that I don't eat with dogs, and asked that she pass my complaint to the management.

Shortly, a polite gentleman in a chef's coat came to our table and explained that the restaurant MUST allow people to bring in their comfort animals. I explained what the hostess had told me and that the dog had no ID showing it to be anything other than a pet.

Later, as we were leaving, the manager stopped by and discussed it with us. I again repeated that I don't eat with dogs and that I understood that he had a choice - either serve such inconsiderate people in the dining room or lose my business. We had a civil discussion and my wife and I left, totally disappointed in our experience.

The health department will downgrade a restaurant for minor offenses like "slime in the ice machine" or a cracked cooking utensil, but totally disregard a dirty animal in a public dining area. Is there ANY logic in that? If dogs must be allowed, can't they be segregated from those of us who are allergic or simply chose not to share our meal with dogs. How about a separate room for people with dogs and call it something cute like "the Kennel" or "the Farm". I'd even settle for a separate room for people only, labeled "old people yelling at clouds".
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not just Lupe. MANY establishments allow it.

I blame an extremely litigious nation backed by social media hit jobs. I have feelings similar to your own. It sucks that places cave to this, but again, I also understand from the owners viewpoint. They have far more to lose NOT allowing the animals than they do just giving in. When your livelihood and good name are at stake....I can understand.
Life is a game and games are life
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Please post your opinions in respectful manner on this board. -Staff]


redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They have to allow them in. What part of that didn't you understand? Sounds like it was explained to you twice.
crbongos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got back from California. Dogs everywhere. Most not service dogs. I agree with OP.
CRBongo
EastSideLowlife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree with OP but it's not Lupe's fault, I blame the parents of these millennial snowflakes who enabled such selfish behavior.


I will walk out of a restaurant if I see a pet, I won't be mad at the restaurant though. I will be pissed again at the selfishness in our society.
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jim65 said:

I understand that public facilities are required to allow service animals and their owners to enter. Tonight, my wife and I decided to try Lupe Tortilla, not having eaten there before. While waiting for our meal, a woman left with a dog on a leash - no indication that this was a service animal (blue jacket, service animal coat, etc.) walking from the rear of the dining room out the front door.

I went to the hostess desk and asked if animals were allowed inside. The young lady said "we assume that it was a service dog and are not allowed to ask". I complained, telling her that I don't eat with dogs, and asked that she pass my complaint to the management.

Shortly, a polite gentleman in a chef's coat came to our table and explained that the restaurant MUST allow people to bring in their comfort animals. I explained what the hostess had told me and that the dog had no ID showing it to be anything other than a pet.

Later, as we were leaving, the manager stopped by and discussed it with us. I again repeated that I don't eat with dogs and that I understood that he had a choice - either serve such inconsiderate people in the dining room or lose my business. We had a civil discussion and my wife and I left, totally disappointed in our experience.

The health department will downgrade a restaurant for minor offenses like "slime in the ice machine" or a cracked cooking utensil, but totally disregard a dirty animal in a public dining area. Is there ANY logic in that? If dogs must be allowed, can't they be segregated from those of us who are allergic or simply chose not to share our meal with dogs. How about a separate room for people with dogs and call it something cute like "the Kennel" or "the Farm". I'd even settle for a separate room for people only, labeled "old people yelling at clouds".


You can thank the federal govt for the issue. Service dogs are allowed in anywhere, but the only questions allowed are is it a service animal and what is it trained to do. You can't ask anything else or refuse service....unless the animal gets out of control.

There needs to be a process for registration and ID for the animals.
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redd38 said:

They have to allow them in. What part of that didn't you understand? Sounds like it was explained to you twice.


"have to". Interesting choice of words for "choose to".

Too many snowflakes and not enough people with grit to stand up to them. Kudos to OP. Dogs don't belong in restaurants.
JaxDad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kids are told not to take a PB&J to school for fear of a possible peanut allergic kid. What about someone with a dog allergy at a restaurant. Does the establishment respect their genuine health issue or say screw them, bring in your dogs.
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nought said:

redd38 said:

They have to allow them in. What part of that didn't you understand? Sounds like it was explained to you twice.


"have to". Interesting choice of words for "choose to".

Too many snowflakes and not enough people with grit to stand up to them. Kudos to OP. Dogs don't belong in restaurants.



I don't know too many people that would choose to open up themselves and their business to a federal lawsuit under ADA Title II and III.

it's BS, but once again, thank the govt.
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nought said:

redd38 said:

They have to allow them in. What part of that didn't you understand? Sounds like it was explained to you twice.


"have to". Interesting choice of words for "choose to".

Too many snowflakes and not enough people with grit to stand up to them. Kudos to OP. Dogs don't belong in restaurants.


Well since they "have to" allow service dogs in, and have no way to determine if a dog is a service dog, then "have to" is the correct verb.
TaterTot_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The least they could've done is gone on Amazon and bought a service dog vest like I did for my Chihuahua. It makes him seem more legit
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redd38 said:

nought said:


"have to". Interesting choice of words for "choose to".

Too many snowflakes and not enough people with grit to stand up to them. Kudos to OP. Dogs don't belong in restaurants.


Well since they "have to" allow service dogs in, and have no way to determine if a dog is a service dog, then "have to" is the correct verb.


God forbid they

1) ask

2) use common sense

https://adata.org/faq/how-can-i-tell-if-animal-really-service-animal-and-not-just-pet

birdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lupe Tortilla has outdoor seating. If they insist on bringing a dog, they can sit outside.
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nought said:

redd38 said:

nought said:


"have to". Interesting choice of words for "choose to".

Too many snowflakes and not enough people with grit to stand up to them. Kudos to OP. Dogs don't belong in restaurants.


Well since they "have to" allow service dogs in, and have no way to determine if a dog is a service dog, then "have to" is the correct verb.


God forbid they

1) ask

2) use common sense

https://adata.org/faq/how-can-i-tell-if-animal-really-service-animal-and-not-just-pet




"Is that a service dog?"
"Yes"


You're right, no way to get around that grilling.
pepe the dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There should be an official clearing house for service dogs.

I was in a Walmart one day and an older couple was pushing their two little dogs in a shopping cart. A customer challenged them and they said they were both service dogs......one for each person.

I love dogs but some dog owners are not playing with a full deck.

I heard another story of a legit service dog for an Afghanistan war vet had his service dog attacked by a fellow customers "service dog".

A trained service dog would never be aggressive in a situation like that.

Service dogs should have documentation.




AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redd38 said:

They have to allow them in. What part of that didn't you understand? Sounds like it was explained to you twice.
Well -- that's where this gets tricky.

Business are required, by law, to allow a disabled individual with a service animal into their establishment.

Service Animals are regulated under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) because they are considered an accommodation needed by a person with a disability to perform specific tasks needed to mitigate the effects of their disability.

The regulations state the following:
- A service animal is defined as a dog (and in some very limited cases a miniature horse).
- Trained to perform a specific task that the person with a disability cannot otherwise perform themselves.

If this was, indeed, a service animal, the business has the right to ask the patron if it is a service animal, and if necessary, ask what service the animal is providing (seeing eye dog for the blind, assisting a deaf person, etc.). Usually, the person with a disability is kinda obvious, so these questions are rarely asked or discreet. An establishment is NOT allowed to force the disabled patron to "show papers", license, or require the service animal to wear a vest or other identifying garment. ADA law does not view an "emotional support animal" as being a service animal under this law.

So -- the tricky part is, do you engage the patron and turn them away if it's not a service animal?
What if the patron lies about the job the service animal serves?
What if nearby patrons think an emotional support animal should be allowed? Do you offend them (and possibly lose business) in the course of following the law?
And what about offending the old grumpy farts that want to pitch a fit because "they don't eat with dogs"?

It's certainly not an easy situation for a business owner to be in, and I can see why they don't want to rock the boat while hoping their patrons don't make bigger deals out of this issue than needs to be made.

https://gov.texas.gov/organization/disabilities/assistance_animals
https://www.ada.gov/archive/qasrvc.htm
http://www.ods.txstate.edu/current-student-resources/Service-animals.html
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Get out of here with your nuanced and rational thinking, you!

*You know how there are academics who study how social mores and culture evolve over time? I'll be long gone by the time this issue ever is resolved, but I wonder what those academics will conclude about our society regarding this? (If the liberal arts profs haven't all been sent to gulags by then).
bugle rank '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was at Herschel's (the Stella) to have a drink and some other patrons had their dog with them. They allowed the dog to sit on every chair/coach in that seating area. I left with dog hair all over my black pants. Will not be back.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna871541

I'm all for well-behaved dogs being allowed on porches and patios, or in Lowe's or Petco. Not in a booth at Lupe's.
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
another reason that the ADA is one of the worst pieces of legislation ever signed by a R President ( Bush41) . Like damn near ALL well intentioned goodie goodie feel good pieces of crap that comes out of our various governments this act has cause the waste of hundreds of millions of dollars on idiotic foolishnes and benefits damn near no one who it was intended to help.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Said no truly disabled person ever.
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Original AG 76 said:

another reason that the ADA is one of the worst pieces of legislation ever signed by a R President ( Bush41) . Like damn near ALL well intentioned goodie goodie feel good pieces of crap that comes out of our various governments this act has cause the waste of hundreds of millions of dollars on idiotic foolishnes and benefits damn near no one who it was intended to help.
I think you forgot the "/s" at the end there, bud.

Sure, there are a lot of bad apples that ruin well-intentioned legislation that's meant to benefit honest, law abiding individuals that need it. It doesn't mean the legislation, or those who need its liberties to fit in to society, should be derided by those of us who don't suffer in the same way.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think my pup and I will be dining at Lupe Tortilla today.
Aggie1205
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taco Tuesday
Spiderpig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As long as the screaming, unsanitary, infantile human snot and poopfarms are allowed, dogs should certainly always be welcomed at restaurants and elsewhere.
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spiderpig said:

As long as the screaming, unsanitary, infantile human snot and poopfarms are allowed, dogs should certainly always be welcomed at restaurants and elsewhere.

good point. der kinder should be verboten in any establishment higher on the pecking order than McDonalds.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree w op. That is gross and ridiculous.
theycallmemrtibbs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Your first mistake was going to Lupe.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw two college age gals in HEB yesterday with small dogs inside with them sitting in the small cart section. We live in strange times.
BCStalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodiewood1 said:

I saw two college age gals in HEB yesterday with small dogs inside with them sitting in the small cart section. We live in strange times.


Go on...
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

I think my pup and I will be dining at Lupe Tortilla today.


Same. We should start a group.
Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Could they have been coming from the back patio, where dogs and nasty children are allowed?
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love dogs.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halibut sinclair said:

I love dogs.

I do too. And enjoy taking our dog to "dog friendly" patios. But never inside. And certainly we're not getting a fake "comfort/service animal" vest for a pet. All service animals should be licensed by the state and you should have to prove that your Fido is a bona fide service dog. Otherwise, just stay home.
Page 1 of 4
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.