Live Streaming at Tailgate

2,501 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexAg1987
Turf-Ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this topic comes up every year before the football season but I honestly am too lazy to look it up.

We have officially "cut the cord" at home which includes getting rid of our Tailgater satellite.

We are using the FireStick at home and would look at doing the same for Saturdays. For those that have ventured down this road, how reliable is the stream and what source of internet receiving device do you use, I.e. mobile hotspot or other devices?

Thanks in advance and Gig Em.
BCStalk
Getting cell service at any tailgate is hit and miss. I have yet to ever get reliable signal to stream anything on Verizon.
BQ_90
AG
Won't work, you'll never get enough signal. For most games you're lucky to get a text out or make a call
Tailgate88
AG
Last year we had a big tailgate party pop up next to ours for a SEC game. Big TV, lots of people. They got there early and were watching GameDay and the 11:00 game but as the crowds grew deeper in Spence and more people showed up, things went downhill. I went over to see if I could offer assistance. I asked where his dish was and he said (proudly) "No dish man! ". I said, "Oh. On your cell service?" And then it hit him.

They watched TV at our party for the rest of the day.
Turf-Ag02
AG
That's kind of what I thought I would hear when I posed the question. Looks like we'll be better off keeping the Tailgater.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
BQ_90 said:

Won't work, you'll never get enough signal. For most games you're lucky to get a text out or make a call

9 year veteran. Above is the understatement of the millennium

Not kidding

YWIA
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

BQ_90 said:

9 year veteran. Above is the understatement of the millennium

Not kidding

YWIA
We tailgate in h lot. One year att set up mobile cell tower in our lot. Still didn't do **** for big games

Hell I can't get reliable internet in Olsen with 2k in the stands, imagine 50k on west campus trying to get a signal
TexAg1987
You can get a monthly subscription for your tailgaiter and just pay during football season. You can even stop it for a month in the middle if you aren't going to a game for a whole month.
Justified
Not to derail the topic, but I was curious about this? I would like to watch football from the deer lease. But don't want a two year contract. I could use my phone for a hotspot but idk how reliable that would be. Could you recommend a site to look?
BCStalk
I would do what was mentioned and do the monthly subscription. We use it at the deer lease but ours is linked to an account. I think we use a Winegard if I remember right.
TexAg1987
https://www.dish.com/outdoor-tv/satellite-tv-for-rv/

Look for pay-as-you-go programming. No 2 year commitment. A little more per month, but you can stop and start. You need to do the math to see which way is cheaper. Don't forget to add the packages you need to get the games you want. I had to add one to get SEC network.

We used it during football season thru new years when we would set up the tv around the campfire and watch bowl games all day. I eventually just added it to my mother-in-laws dish account when she got dish.
Turf-Ag02
AG
We are getting rid of DirectTv and going with DirectTv Now at home. With that being said, is it possible to use the current dish and box for tailgating? I plan to remove the satellite from the house and attach it to a tripod, if possible.
bobinator
AG
If your tailgate is somewhere that gets campus wifi coverage you should try and make friends with a student or an A&M employee and you might be able to do it that way.
TexAg1987
bobinator said:

If your tailgate is somewhere that gets campus wifi coverage you should try and make friends with a student or an A&M employee and you might be able to do it that way.
No, that wifi goes down with the crowd too.
bobinator
AG
Hm, I haven't had that problem, but I also haven't tried running a TV from it I guess.
TexAg1987
bobinator said:

Hm, I haven't had that problem, but I also haven't tried running a TV from it I guess.
fair enough. I may be too far away from a campus wifi source during tailgate to fairly evaluate.
Still wouldn't want to rely on it for my tailgate entertainment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.