Favorite day trips from B/CS

5,275 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoneGirl
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Standard SIAP, but I tried the search function which I know is always hit or miss...

So that said, what are y'alls favorite day trips out of the B/CS? Just looking for fun ideas for something to do with the wife this weekend, but doesn't necessarily have to be this weekend if you have a fun one to share for another time of the year.

Wicked Good Ag
We love Greune with stop at Barton Creek with the kids.
AgDotCom
This thread = good idea. Thanks, will refer to it.

Can't recommend any right now because when we have time, we'll usually go see our kids. But I'd like to start taking some for ourselves before too long. Best round trip driving time for us would be circa 3 hours, maybe that's not realistic.
bobinator
AG
Obviously Houston and Austin are day-trippable so we've done a lot of stuff in those cities before but would also welcome new ideas, just kind of looking for random ideas.

Ideas for other folks that we've done before not including things in Houston/Austin:

- Driven over to Temple/Belton, food at Dead Fish Grill on Belton Lake, bought meat at Green's in Zabcikville
- Oscar Store
- BBQ in Brenham, Lexington, etc
- Blue Bell
- Shiner brewery tour
Post removed:
by user
BQ_90
AG
Waco
bcstx06
The Blue Lagoon outside of Huntsville:
https://www.bluelagoonscuba.net/entryfees

https://img.pagecloud.com/d77EKwIlNHS6wS0dzFTuSXzf4WU=/888x0/filters:no_upscale()/bluelagoonscuba/images/lagoon_010-ID-e320c5f8-81fa-437b-d916-dce0ebf4016a.jpg

https://img.pagecloud.com/TFEdsEmNg2V2ctDSOltJY_ZpwX4=/884x0/filters:no_upscale()/bluelagoonscuba/images/image-ID-3c3f75dc-e671-4243-fd40-8c74fba24684.jpeg
JayHowdy!
For a Texas history junkie, a trip to Washington on the Brazos is a good way to kill a couple of hours.
Mathguy64
AG
If you want to go to Snow's, we did that about a month ago. Left at 7:30, got in line at 8:30 and got food at 10:45.
jrhmc
AG
Taking in a Round Rock Express game at Dell Diamond with lunch at the Salt Lick in their parking lot is fun. It's a great minor league park.
EMY92
AG
BQ_90 said:

Waco
Currently, 5000 people per week are coming to Waco to see Chip & Joanna.

We don't need anymore.
BlevCat
AG
Just to expand a bit on the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville:

It is a very pretty spot, but if you want to go swimming there on the weekends during the summer, I would highly advise against it.

They are first and foremost a scuba park, so while scuba divers are able to get in at 8AM on Saturday and Sunday, swimmers are not able to get in the water until 12PM either day.

Also, they allow scuba groups to reserve dive sites in either lagoon, but everything for swimmers is first come-first served. During the summer, there are groups of people who will line up outside the lagoon in their cars starting on Friday night to ensure that they can get in to go swimming. I go out there almost every weekend for scuba diving, and they are always turning people away who just show up at 8 or 9 and expect to be able to be able to get in.

All that said, if you're a scuba diver and want to get in the water to blow bubbles, it's a pretty alright spot, but you definitely need to plan ahead and reserve a dive site on the weekends before you head out there.
agfan1030
Waco:

Texas Ranger Museum
Texas Sports Hall of Fame
Dr. Pepper Museum
Waco Mammoth National Monument
Cameron Park and Zoo
walk along the Brazos and Suspension Bridge

and for lunch

Guess Family Barbecue trailer (opening a restaurant this fall downtown)
and
drive up to West for kolaches (the real kind) .... klobasnek=meat stuffed

(I have never been to the Silos. Drove by there and the people looked like a stirred up fire ant mound.)
techno-ag
AG
New Baden General Store on 79.
Edge General Store.
Kemah Boardwalk.
Moody Gardens & Schlitterbahn in Galveston.
Grapevine & area. Mall, Legoland, Greatwolf Lodge.
Ft. Worth Stockyards.
Round Top, especially during the antique shows.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
gettingitdone
Waco= Magnolia Market
agfan1030
Huntsville:

Texas Prison Museum
Huntsville State Park (on a weekday)
Sam Houston Memorial Museum and park
lovely small campus of Sam Houston State University
antiquing on the courthouse square
Sam Houston Statue (Big Sam)

locally owned restaurants:
City Hall Cafe (country atmosphere/great pie, too)
Luigi's Italian
Farmhouse Eats and Sweets (on the square)
The Patio (on the square)
Rodeo Mexican
Bennie J's (bbq)
Carboneros (El Salvadoran/Mexican)
Big E-Zs (Cajun)
Arnaud's (Cajun ... food trailer)
Country Inn Steak and Seafood (great catfish and shrimp and more)
Harbor Bay
Check out this website. http://www.whofish.org
greentab81
AG
Recently took a drive to the Hye area. Had an outstanding lunch at Hye Market which is in the local post office blg and did the Garrison Bros. Distillery tour. Plus there are two or three wineries near by.
davido
AG
mathguy86 said:

If you want to go to Snow's, we did that about a month ago. Left at 7:30, got in line at 8:30 and got food at 10:45.

You can call in your order. They often run out by noon.
Harbor Bay
The square in Georgetown. Lunch at Monument Cafe.
bobinator
AG
greentab81 said:

Recently took a drive to the Hye area. Had an outstanding lunch at Hye Market which is in the local post office blg and did the Garrison Bros. Distillery tour. Plus there are two or three wineries near by.
I hadn't ever considered Hye as day-trippable, but I guess it is. Probably 2:15 to get there on the weekend?
Wicked Good Ag
I was in a doctors office and read about Hye in something like Texas Monthly or Texas Highways. Seems interesting for a day trip or at least half day trip on way to another location
labmansid
I think I saw something about Galveston having their sand castle competition this coming weekend. We went once a few years ago. It was pretty neat, but crowded.
nonameag99
AIA sandcastle is in late may. There may be another one now though
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
labmansid
nonameag99 said:

AIA sandcastle is in late may. There may be another one now though
Looks like maybe they moved it to August.

AIA sandcastle competition
GoneGirl
AG
If you're into Texas history...

The Battleship Texas and the monument park -while you're there, stop by the Monument Inn for some seafood and watch the ships coming up and down the ship channel. Then hop on the Lynchburg Ferry, since it's the oldest continuously running ferry in Texas. Since 1888, Harris County has provided the ferry service free of charge. That gets you right back onto I10 where you can either head east to Anahuac for the gator farm, or west back into Houston.

Jesse Jones Park - near IAH
http://www.hcp4.net/Community/Parks/Jones/About/WhatWeOffer

312-acre Harris County Precinct 4 nature preserve open daily to visitors free of charge. The park features a variety of plant and wildlife species, white sand beaches along Spring Creek, swamps and sloughs with century-old cypress trees, and a pristine floodplain located in a hardwood and pine forest. All features are accessible by over eight miles of paved, handicap-friendly pedestrian trails and several unpaved primitive trails. The Spring Creek Greenway, with over 12 miles of paved trail system along Spring Creek, is also accessible from the park's Judy Overby Bell Trail.

Jones Park hosts five annual family-friendly festivals: Homestead Heritage Day, held the second Saturday in February, features historians and re-enactors highlighting many eras important in Texas' history; NatureFest, held the first Saturday in March, offers speakers, exhibits, nature crafts, and activities relating to the environment; Tricks & Treats Among the Trees, held in October; Pioneer Day, held the second Saturday in November, showcases settler life during the early 1830s; and an Old-Fashioned Christmas, held the first Saturday in December, brings 19th-century holiday traditions to life.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.