Diverging Diamond Intersection at FM 60 & 2818

32,385 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by halibut sinclair
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Progress continues...

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/More-lanes-opening-at-diverging-diamond-interchange-505502551.html
halibut sinclair
91_Aggie
AG
I guess no one is reporting all the carnage that is happening everyday with this complicated intersection?!!

All the "sky is falling" posters seem to have forgotten about this.

Based on the previous dire predictions, does anyone know how many hundreds of commuters have been killed by this thing since it opened?!?!
CS78
91_Aggie said:

Based on the previous dire predictions, does anyone know how many hundreds of commuters have been killed by this thing since it opened?!?!
I had my truck totaled when a student that didn't understand what was going on pulled out in front of me. Only injured my thumb in the steering wheel but could have been very bad if the timing had been .5 second off.
Robert C. Christian
AG
91_Aggie said:

I guess no one is reporting all the carnage that is happening everyday with this complicated intersection?!!

How can they post when they have been killed in accidents?
91_Aggie
AG
CS78 said:

91_Aggie said:

I had my truck totaled when a student that didn't understand what was going on pulled out in front of me. Only injured my thumb in the steering wheel but could have been very bad if the timing had been .5 second off.
Yeah, my daughter had a student total her car when he hit her from behind at the intersection of Welsh and 2818 when he didn't understand a right-hand yielded turn lane she was stopped in.

Students gonna be ignorant no matter the type of intersection.
redd38
AG
91_Aggie said:

My dire predictions for the intersection were about how inefficiently it moves traffic through, which have prove to be accurate. They definitely could have done better with a more traditional light configuration.
91_Aggie
AG
redd38 said:

91_Aggie said:

My dire predictions for the intersection were about how inefficiently it moves traffic through, which have prove to be accurate. They definitely could have done better with a more traditional light configuration.
Not sure you can say it's been proven when you have provided no data or link to a source and when it hasn't been fully completed yet.

Seems like you think if say it, then you believe it is true.
Tailgate88
AG
redd38 said:

91_Aggie said:

The times I have driven through there everything has flowed very smoothly. Can you elaborate on your assertion, please?
redd38
AG
Tailgate88 said:

redd38 said:

91_Aggie said:

The times I have driven through there everything has flowed very smoothly. Can you elaborate on your assertion, please?

How many times have you driven straight through without stopping? How many times have you driven through and traffic in the opposite direction wasn't stopped? How low did they have to lower the speed limit to archive the two previous amazing feats?

They f***ed up traffic in every direction 24 hours a day to fix a turn lane problem that happens for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening. Two traditional lights would have fixed the same problem without messing up the rest of the traffic and saved millions of dollars.
Rexter
They didn't even need lights. They should have made no left turn at the end of the ramps. E/W traffic should have gone under the bridge and turned.
Tailgate88
AG
I have not had that experience , but let's wait until they are done, all lanes are open, and the final traffic flow is in place and then we can judge.
95_Aggie
AG
Every time I have driven through it has been a very smooth and efficient process. My only wish would be a longer exit from northbound 2818 onto E/W Stotzer. Sometimes in the mornings traffic slows on 2818 as lots of cars exit.
woodiewood1
91_Aggie said:

redd38 said:

91_Aggie said:

Not sure you can say it's been proven when you have provided no data or link to a source and when it hasn't been fully completed yet.

It may be safer and better overall, but if you are going west on Hwy 60 half the time you have two stops to get through the intersection rather than none before. I go through there four or five times a week and it's no biggie but is is often slower to get through for those driving west.

I think the biggest safety deal is you don't have the left turn across full speed traffic going south on 2818 from a stop to get on the ramp for those persons going north on 2818 who are turning left to go west. Many wrecks occurred there, especially after dark.
Expert Analysis
AG
This is exactly correct. Its Redds issue and is honestly a tradeoff. There is added delay in some situations, but greatly improved safety and reduced delay in other situations. The added delay is minor, the ped/bike facilities are a waste.
Is it perfect, No. Were there other options, Yes. I think this is a reasonable solution. A couple clover leafs would have been great, but the airport really messes with the SW aide of that area and they are an antiquated design that are not real safe.
WheelinAg
AG
techno-ag said:

Progress continues...

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/More-lanes-opening-at-diverging-diamond-interchange-505502551.html

So, Tuesday?
Nom de Plume
AG
I'm with redd38 and others on this. I mean, I don't live there anymore, but I've driven this a few times as its been constructed and its the absolute most complicated, expensive solution possibly imagined. And I'd be willing to bet there will still be some folks that cause accidents at the multitude of stoplights where it kinda feels like you're driving into oncoming traffic in order to stay in your lane. I've done my share of driving and never seen anything quite like it. I sincerely wonder if this will create an overall safer interchange.
pants
I'm waiting for it to be complete with all lanes open for a year or two before making a judgement. We can guess all day about how it will work here, but nothing beats seeing it finished and watching what happens over time.
GSS
It's scary now to be alongside any sort of big rig or large truck, due to the seemingly narrow and curvy lanes, which based on the walls being constructed, will not change much in width. Lighting will be challenging, due to airport concerns.

And southbound 2818 traffic exiting to head west on 60 will apparently require metering, due to the very short distance handling both traffic onto 60, and those exiting off of 60 to the airport.

And I predict traffic will be backed up onto the bridge, trying to head south onto 2818 from westbound 60...we shall see. Only a huge guess as to when the 2818 widening will start/finish; more traffic delays due to construction
techno-ag
AG
Update:

http://wtaw.com/2019/03/12/txdot-update-on-fm-60-projects/
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
cavscout96
AG
this thing is a huge waste of $. could have accomplished the same think with signals and protected turns.

lanes are too narrow.
no merging space for folks exiting S bound 2818 to merge with W bound 60
two lanes exiting north on 47 are too close to the entrance of folks noted above
no space for folks entering E bound 60 from airport/turkey creek. Actually surprised there has not already been a major pile up there already.

boondoggle

cavscout96
AG
woodiewood1 said:

91_Aggie said:

redd38 said:

91_Aggie said:

It may be safer and better overall, but if you are going west on Hwy 60 half the time you have two stops to get through the intersection rather than none before. I go through there four or five times a week and it's no biggie but is is often slower to get through for those driving west.

I think the biggest safety deal is you don't have the left turn across full speed traffic going south on 2818 from a stop to get on the ramp for those persons going north on 2818 who are turning left to go west. Many wrecks occurred there, especially after dark.

could have fixed this with a few signals vs tons of asphalt and concrete
Expert Analysis
AG
The capacity during peak hours would be much less with standard signals compared to this design. Safety would also be much worse than this design.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

could have fixed this with a few signals vs tons of asphalt and concrete
Everyone thinks they're a traffic engineer
cavscout96
AG
well... the "experts" don't seem to be doing much better......

have you driven it? I have; multiple times a week.
75AG
AG
cavscout96 said:

well... the "experts" don't seem to be doing much better......

have you driven it? I have; multiple times a week.
I drive it daily. What's the issue?
cavscout96
AG
^
GSS
It appears as though the traffic exiting southbound 2818, trying to go west on 60, will be metered via a traffic light. An effort to deal with the very minimal merging distance, given the airport exit also present?
cavscout96
AG
not currently a signal there unless they put one up yesterday. I went all the way down wellborn to VM today so I didn't see it.
techno-ag
AG
Various ramp closures coming.

http://wtaw.com/2019/04/03/various-ramp-closures-at-the-new-ddi-interchange-for-the-next-week/
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.