Diverging Diamond Intersection at FM 60 & 2818

32,402 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by halibut sinclair
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love this board so much
ringrit
A friend in the Virginia Tech area shared this with me!

Scruffy
AG
Clever.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

A friend in the Virginia Tech area shared this with me!
Buns too small for head - 2/10
"What's this button do?"
Builder93
AG
Welfare check. The DDI is open. Is everyone ok? Count off to see if everyone made it through. Look for your buddy and help anyone who can't find his/her/ze buddy.
Oogway
Went through it today heading from west side Bryan over to campus. Had my exit buddy just in case but no sweat at all. Do hope that the city/state maintains the lane markers. They get so degraded here due to all the construction traffic.
91_Aggie
AG
Based on some posts in this thread I was expecting to see a mushroom crowd emanating from that direction floating over the A&M campus.
Bob2525
Heard eastbound was backed up to the airport. Highly efficient.
75AG
AG
Bob2525 said:

There was only one lane open from the airport. So, I would expect some back up.
hurleyag
AG
Did I just not notice yesterday, or did they already have to add a 3rd light for the north bound ramp?
techno-ag
AG
Everything is going peachy according to KBTX.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Drivers-getting-used-to-new-Diverging-Diamond-in-College-Station-490192841.html
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
91_Aggie
AG
techno-ag said:

Everything is going peachy according to KBTX.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Drivers-getting-used-to-new-Diverging-Diamond-in-College-Station-490192841.html
Hmmm... they didn't interview the "easily confused and/or scared by/of new things" people from this board to get the full story.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Once again, this board proves it is not quite the "vox populi" it has always hallucinated to be.
The Original AG 76
AG
Just drove thru the intersection a few minutes ago. Worked great. Will be a nice addition to the traffic scene in BCS.
marrocco
I Survived The Diverging Diamond(tm)
pants
75AG said:

Bob2525 said:

There was only one lane open from the airport. So, I would expect some back up.

Anyone know when it will be 2 lanes in each direction?
MyTexasCarGuy
AG
It's safer.... a DDI reduces total conflict points from the 30 points within a traditional diamond to only 18. Furthermore, the reduction mainly applies to the number of crossing points, the most crucial conflict type. I think it'll be nice once completed and everyone gets used to it.
Stupe
S
Fonzie Scheme said:

Once again, this board proves it is not quite the "vox populi" it has always hallucinated to be.
Two of of my favorite threads to follow on this board have been this one and the Rock Prairie / Longmire thread.
LOYAL AG
AG
nm. Not worth it.
Bob2525
Took the exit off of 2818 going west to Snook. Not a fan of the freaky $ curve, especially the tight double lane on 60 next to a semi.
75AG
AG
Bob2525 said:

Took the exit off of 2818 going west to Snook. Not a fan of the freaky $ curve, especially the tight double lane on 60 next to a semi.
But you survived to write this post. It will be OK! It will all be OK!
GSS
TX DOT had little to work with, for exiting 2818 west onto FM60, due to the same lane being an exit ramp to Easterwood.
techno-ag
AG
The Buzzard weighs in:

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/diverging-diamond-interchange-on-f-m-opens-to-traffic/article_4c3a45db-f174-5689-bd80-889a99105dcb.amp.html

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
MisterShipWreck
Bob2525 said:

1 morning this week around 7:30am or so, it was backed up PAST the airport. I hope it gets better
SchnauzerMom
I've driven the DDI several times since it opened, and have had no issues. Same goes for several of my colleagues who live West of 2818. I would rather have to sit at two lights and be able to go through there safely than deal with the issues from before. Previously, at certain times of the day, you would have to play chicken if you needed to make a left turn to get on 2818, and if traveling East on 60 during those times, hope and pray you didn't hit someone trying to make the left handed turn. You would have to do the same if on 2818 and wanting to head West on 60. If you only come through there a few times a year, or random times of day, you wouldn't know how bad it had gotten. It will take some getting used to, but as someone who works in traffic safety, this is way better option than what was there!
91_Aggie
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

Bob2525 said:

1 morning this week around 7:30am or so, it was backed up PAST the airport. I hope it gets better
Everyone needs to remember that this intersection was GOING TO BE CHANGED. It wasn't going to stay the same with thru traffic on 60/University never having a light/stop

If they didn't do the DDI, it would have been a normal Diamond Interchange, that everyone is familiar with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_interchange

So instead of doing that normal Diamond Interchange, they determined this was a good location for the Diverging Diamond interchange.

Unfortunately, you are going to have people crying a river about how much slower this is over what was there before. Of course it is going to slow their commute if they were coming from Snook direction or heading to Snook direction on 60, because now there are lights.. but those lights were coming anyway.

Essentially the only way to convince those people would have been for them to install the normal Diamond interchange here... get stats for a year, then install the DDI and get stats for a year.

Some people you just can't reach no matter how simple you try to make it for them

techno-ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

MisterShipWreck said:

Bob2525 said:

Everyone needs to remember that this intersection was GOING TO BE CHANGED. It wasn't going to stay the same with thru traffic on 60/University never having a light/stop

If they didn't do the DDI, it would have been a normal Diamond Interchange, that everyone is familiar with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_interchange

So instead of doing that normal Diamond Interchange, they determined this was a good location for the Diverging Diamond interchange.

Unfortunately, you are going to have people crying a river about how much slower this is over what was there before. Of course it is going to slow their commute if they were coming from Snook direction or heading to Snook direction on 60, because now there are lights.. but those lights were coming anyway.

Essentially the only way to convince those people would have been for them to install the normal Diamond interchange here... get stats for a year, then install the DDI and get stats for a year.

Some people you just can't reach no matter how simple you try to make it for them

One reason it's slower might be the 30 mph speed limit thru there.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
91_Aggie
AG
techno-ag said:

91_Aggie said:

MisterShipWreck said:

Bob2525 said:

Would have been the same speed limit with the normal Diamond Interchange.

Change was coming. Screaming about the "DDI is bad because it is slower than what was there before" is dumb.
It was going to get slower no matter what type of interchange they put in.

techno-ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

techno-ag said:

91_Aggie said:

MisterShipWreck said:

Bob2525 said:

Would have been the same speed limit with the normal Diamond Interchange.

Change was coming. Screaming about the "DDI is bad because it is slower than what was there before" is dumb.
It was going to get slower no matter what type of interchange they put in.

I'm not arguing change was coming. Just pointing out one of the reasons it's slow thru there.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
Scruffy
AG
I've been through it a few times.

Construction isn't complete yet.
East bound is down to one lane.
Speed limit is down to 30 (for now).

The above are why it seems slow and there can be a back-up.

Once work is complete and everything in place I see it as a needed improvement for flow and safety.
Complete the work/curbs, signage, etc. and I think there won't be a noticeable difference than any other intersection other than driving "on the wrong side of the road".

They just needed to open it up in time for school (football) to start.
They will continue to work on the rest of the project until the completion date (I think was fall of 2019 if I remember correctly).
Post removed:
by user
JMac03
AG
I drove the diamond today. I didn't die!

TexAg1987
I was behind someone yesterday who took a right into oncoming traffic at the first light. He finally figured it out (I think) and went between the barrels into the median to get back to the correct side of the road.

BTW, what IS the purpose of such a huge median? Seems like it could have been done without widening the bridge.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.