Goodwill donations

4,033 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by legalbird
jiffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been donating clothes to goodwill for years, and up until recently, it was always a pleasant experience. They would great me, unload bags out of my car (I always helped), and offered me a tax receipt, always with a pleasant attitude. The last two times have been horrible. A month ago I had a carload to donate and pulled through the line to their back door. A man was working outside, looked right at me, and walked inside. I waited for over 10 minutes and no one ever came out, so I went inside where he was sitting right inside the door. I asked if I could make a donation - he said sure and told me to just drop everything off where my car was. I unloaded everything by myself then went back in to ask for a tax receipt, and he acted very put out that I had asked.

Yesterday I had another donation. I pulled up but the regular 'lane' was blocked with stuff, so I pulled as close as I could. There were three men outside working, and the one closest to me looked at me, shook his head, threw his hands up, and walked off. I got out of the car and asked if I could make a donation, no one responded. I asked again louder and the man walked back over and said "yea - just leave everything right there" and he walked away again. I unloaded everything and left - didn't even want to bother him for a tax receipt. My daughter even asked "why were they so rude?"

Anyone else having bad experiences? Is there somewhere else I can donate nearby??
Aggie
AG
Why anyone would ever donate to Goodwill is beyond me.

There is literally nothing Good will whatsoever about Goodwill.
jrhmc
AG
Donate to St. Vincent de Paul or Twin City Mission. It's a much better experience and more of the money goes to people in need.
TellMeMore
Try the Salvation Army, on Cavitt, almost right behind Goodwill. WORLD of difference. 361-0618
BlueMiles
AG
Or Hospice Brazos Valley.
Drilltime
Also check out Habitat for Humanities. I will not go back to Goodwill in College Station.
JMac03
AG
Yep any of the other places listed above, not named Goodwill. I usually do Twin City Missions, as they also support Phoebes Home and other services. I've also done St. Vincent de Paul.
BCStalk
I'll go with what was stated above, donate somewhere else. The majority of people that work in the donation area are typically only there because they are serving community service for whatever crime they committed. Unless things have changed, this is probably why you have dealt with some lazy workers.
75AG
AG
Let's get serious here: few people donate to Goodwill or anywhere else to truly help people. We're all just looking for a place to get rid of our crap.
techno-ag
AG
We use the drop boxes at Lowe's. Because they're right off the bypass.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Jetty
AG
Also the SHIP store.... across the street from Shipley's in Bryan.
RMC91
AG
armymom
Habitat for Humanities for the furniture. They will pick it up! Habitat ReStore
RMC91
AG
Carnwellag2
75AG said:

Let's get serious here: few people donate to Goodwill or anywhere else to truly help people. We're all just looking for a place to get rid of our crap.
The curb works just as well.

Getting a tax receipt for dropping off old clothes that are worth less than 25 cents each.... nah
With the new standard deductions that is a lot of 10 cent kids jeans to donate
Stupe
S
RMC91 said:

Are any places better than the other for furniture? I have some great gently used furniture for kids.
Call Aggieland Pregnancy Outreach.

APO

979-764-6636
gettingitdone
My family always donates to Hospice Mart ( Hospice BV), St. Vincent de Paul, or Habitat
legalbird
goodwill very profitable business!!

donate to twin city
AggieBarstool
Noticed this as well. Tons of junk sitting around outside. Looks terrible.
histag10
AG
Does Twin City Mission take donations? Or any of the womens shelters?
studioone
yes. TC takes donations...
annie88
AG
I've been giving all my donations to Twin Cities for years. They moved from Wellborn to new location right down from Goodwill about a year or so ago. Much easier. Much better.
Playtuagain
AG
If that was true, the curb is a lot closer than a donation box.
farmersfight
AG
if you have old business attire, take it to Project Unity.
75AG
AG
Playtuagain said:

If that was true, the curb is a lot closer than a donation box.
Yeah, but on the curb, people can see your crap. Just throw it out in front of Goodwill or any collection box, and voila, it's gone!
Agmaker
Keep in mind that the primary purpose of the Goodwill is to provide employment to those who might not otherwise be traditionally employable. Their primary purpose is not to distribute to the needy. Providing a place for everyone to drop off stuff is just a beneficial outcome. Hope this helps explain the difference between Goodwill and the other options noted above.
histag10
AG
studioone said:

yes. TC takes donations...

Sorry. Recently moved back to the area, and this was a legitimate question as I have encountered shelters that could not directly take and process donations. I didn't think the question (or answer) was controversial enough to elicit an ellipsis.
legalbird
I would say the skill level to run a goodwill online auction does not meet the displaced worker that was mentioned earlier

google goodwill auction

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.