Nift Chooses Bryan/College Station for Second Office

6,384 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by techno-ag
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this was discussed in Coming and Going, but I thought it was worth its own topic as they are starting to host job fairs, including one going on right now:

Quote:

BRYAN, Texas Nift, the Boston-based AI platform that helps small businesses compete with giants like Amazon, has chosen Brazos County for its first office expansion out of the northeast.

Nift officials are working to finalize a location for their growing team in Bryan/College Station and are currently seeking business development representatives and sales managers. Nift plans to hire 300 to 400 people, with more than 30 people to be hired each month this year.

The Blinn College District will be hosting a career awareness forum for Nift this Friday, July 27, from 10:00AM to 2:00PM at Building T on the Bryan campus. The company is also working with the Texas A&M Career Center to establish recruiting efforts.
More at: http://researchvalley.org/news/nift-chooses-bryancollege-station-second-office

Apply online: https://www.gonift.com/careers

Not sure if all 400 will, but the initial jobs require college degrees. More young professionals is great for the local economy! I wonder where they will end up officing? Lake Walk area seems like a fitting option.

kyledr04
AG
We definitely need more businesses here.
Koko Chingo
AG
From what I have heard it, the Nift location will primarily be a call center, customer service type of office.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The Research Valley guy that was interviewed on WTAW assured the host that the jobs were not call center jobs, but who knows.
TXAGBQ76
AG
my brother works for Workforce Texas who is working on the hiring process. He is dealing with a VP of HR back in Boston (I think it is). His description of the work is cold calling on companies directly and mostly via phones to sell their gift cards to companies. Starting salary is ~$25K; when you sell $800 worth of cards you can get unlimited bonuses (sounds like commissions to me) for meeting other goals.

On a side notes he is concerned with their longevity here based on availability and interest in qualified employees. They a job fair at Blinn- which had zero attendance- not a single person stopped to even here the spiel. His group is supposed to hire ~250 folks, so far he has found ~25 qualified/interested folks.
techno-ag
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

my brother works for Workforce Texas who is working on the hiring process. He is dealing with a VP of HR back in Boston (I think it is). His description of the work is cold calling on companies directly and mostly via phones to sell their gift cards to companies. Starting salary is ~$25K; when you sell $800 worth of cards you can get unlimited bonuses (sounds like commissions to me) for meeting other goals.

On a side notes he is concerned with their longevity here based on availability and interest in qualified employees. They a job fair at Blinn- which had zero attendance- not a single person stopped to even here the spiel. His group is supposed to hire ~250 folks, so far he has found ~25 qualified/interested folks.
I thought KBTX said the job fair is today. Is it still going? Also, how many students are wandering around Blinn on a Friday afternoon in the summer? Seems job fairs would have more success in the fall.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I did think the job fair even timing was quick. It was just announced this week, most people probably haven't even heard about it yet. Combined with being the summer I am not surprised by little to attendance at the job fair.
91_Aggie
AG
Looking at the ONLY positions they are hiring in B/CS, it sounds like it is just someone to cold call many businesses every day and to be a secretary for the "seasoned Account Managers"

We'll teach you how to:

• Qualify a high volume of prospects (100+ outbound calls per day)
  • Write and send daily follow up emails to build rapport
  • Book meetings for seasoned Account Managers to follow up with prospects
  • Track and report your success (emails, phone calls and any lead generation activities)
  • Grow into an Account Manager and beyond as you reach your goals, learn new skills and improve your performance, you'll have opportunities to advance from business development into sales or other departments

100 calls in an hour 8 workshift, is 12.5 calls an hour a 1 call every 5 minutes (assuming you don't get a break at all). I imagine you'll get a lot of hangups, but I would also imagine you'd have to document each call in some system to know the result of it.

When are you going to have time to do those other 2-3 bullet points?

Yikes. Might as well work for Cutco.
techno-ag
AG
Start at the bottom rung I guess.
91_Aggie
AG
techno-ag said:

Yeah, but the OP was hoping for more Young Professionals.

If I'm right out of college and being offered $25K/year + commissions based solely on making cold calls, then I must have majored in Liberal Arts or did not do very well in college.
techno-ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

techno-ag said:

Yeah, but the OP was hoping for more Young Professionals.

If I'm right out of college and being offered $25K/year + commissions based solely on making cold calls, then I must have majored in Liberal Arts or did not do very well in college.
We'll have to wait and see i guess. Probably they'll want their experienced team here getting the ball rolling. Since no one here has worked there yet, it will have to be folks from the home office. Maybe once they get established the locals can take over.
TXAGBQ76
AG
The job fair I referred to was a week or so ago- and not on a Friday afternoon.
While I agree the fall might be better, evidently, Nift requested job fairs now- not in the fall.

This appears to be a pretty successful company and could be good for the B/CS economy; I hoped they are very successful here- so they stay and maybe bring other companies to the Brazos Valley.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Did your brother indicate where in BCS they might end up putting their office?

A base of 25K is tough. Hopefully the incentives are nice.
dallasiteinsa02
91_Aggie said:

Looking at the ONLY positions they are hiring in B/CS, it sounds like it is just someone to cold call many businesses every day and to be a secretary for the "seasoned Account Managers"

We'll teach you how to:

• Qualify a high volume of prospects (100+ outbound calls per day)
  • Write and send daily follow up emails to build rapport
  • Book meetings for seasoned Account Managers to follow up with prospects
  • Track and report your success (emails, phone calls and any lead generation activities)
  • Grow into an Account Manager and beyond as you reach your goals, learn new skills and improve your performance, you'll have opportunities to advance from business development into sales or other departments

100 calls in an hour 8 workshift, is 12.5 calls an hour a 1 call every 5 minutes (assuming you don't get a break at all). I imagine you'll get a lot of hangups, but I would also imagine you'd have to document each call in some system to know the result of it.

When are you going to have time to do those other 2-3 bullet points?

Yikes. Might as well work for Cutco.
At least Cutco floats the commissions that the best employees are getting to show what is possible.
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
Well I guess this place has already failed before it started. TexAgs has decided.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
TellMeMore
It's not the Chamber. This is another group.
Post removed:
by user
TXAGBQ76
AG
He did, but I cannot remember where it will be
ro828
The Research Brazos Valley page had a link to Nift for people wanting to apply for jobs. The link doesn't work. That doesn't auger well.

With Computershare having announced an August of 2019 closing date for the College Station office, there will be plenty of people with call center experience coming available.
Wicked Good Ag
Slocum on a mobile said:

Quote:

It's not the Chamber. This is another group.

Fixed

Quote:

Well I guess this place has already failed before it started. TexAgs has decided.
Techno, this is no longer a cheap place to live and raise a family. The average new "starter house" around here is $300k. Now, when I bought mine back in '07, I paid $110k. Same house goes for $240k.

I don't see folks making $12.50 an hour (what $25k a year arrives you to) being able to afford it. If they want a transient workforce from the surrounding communities that drive in Daily (read: Caldwell, Navasota, Hearne, etc.) then that crowd is going to go for that. Just ask the gals over at Wayfair.

This is not adding "good jobs"...

While I agree for the most part the average starter home is not in the 300s.
FC12
Whatever the price of a Stylecraft home or similar is in their smallest/smaller square footage is the base for the starter home.

In 2009, we bout our 1200 sq.ft home in Creek Meadows for 142k...while we have sold it since, that house is now worth almost $200k....that to me is nuts.
Post removed:
by user
BCStalk
Slocum on a mobile said:

So how much for new construction in Creek Meadows today? Or whatever the neighborhood across the street is. Stylecraft's town houses are about $200k. I don't see a person making $12.50 an hour buying one of those either.

Most people who make $20-30 an hour still can't afford a starter house. I'm seeing houses ranging from $200-300k. I don't understand how people can afford a $1500 mortgage on the average salary here. The only reason big business comes to the area is because our pay scale is a joke compared to other cities. I'm just glad I don't work here anymore.
nashvilleaggie11
Any more info on this? My sister's boyfriend (an Aggie) applied online with no acknowledgement and he has called A&M career center and they knew nothing about it...
techno-ag
AG
Bump for new news:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-business-promotion-pays-you-to-shop-locally-504869541.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.