Stella Southern Cafe

18,485 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JMac03
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it's been mentioned on the Coming & Going thread, but Stella Southern Cafe is having its grand opening tomorrow 7/28. The soft opening is today (invite only) and we were able to go.

OMG the food! I've had the fortune to sample some of the items previously and have been dreaming of the jalapeno pimiento cheese for over a year. Our table had the shrimp & grits, vegetarian grits, high on the hog (pulled pork & aforementioned pimiento cheese on a biscuit), and biscuits with mimosa jam.

You read that right - mimosa jam - it's available for purchase by the jar along with a couple other flavors.

Everything was fantastic and the staff was super attentive. The orange juice is fresh-squeezed. Staff kept coming by the table to top off water and coffee. They have a beer/wine license and sell mimosas by the glass or carafe, but don't plan to get a liquor license (so no bloody Mary's). They're open 7am-2pm Monday-Saturday and 8am-3pm Sunday. There is a good-sized patio with several tables. This is an order-at-the-counter establishment, so no need to wait for a server to take your order or bring your check. Buy a shirt: "That's my jam" or my personal favorite "Lard have mercy". Take a picture of the large pig outside the door.

I'm sure there will be some hiccups over the first couple of weeks, but the owners are veterans in the local food scene (Harvey Washbangers) and will get any kinks worked out. This area needed a Southern-focused breakfast/brunch spot and it's finally here.

Now pardon me while I go into a carb-induced coma...
#honorthybiscuit

happyinBCS
I also went to the soft open this morning, the food was fantastic very nice finish out on the building. They will do great and I will be back but the low calorie options are limited so I will go when I don't plan on eating the rest of the day.
K2T2
Hearing that they keep only breakfast and lunch hours is a little disappointing. I had hoped for a [good, not IHOP or Denny's] breakfast place to fill the breakfast for dinner void, even though I'm pretty sure there's nothing on the menu I can eat. Maybe they'll change their mind about that!
Rex Racer
AG
Looks good. Wish they had chicken & waffles, though.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Will check this place out.

On a side note, I'm interested to know how City of College Station allowed that kind of building placement with the brick back side of the building being the frontage to the HWY. Maybe I'm in the minority on that and we all have our own taste preferences but aesthetically speaking, that's not a good look imho.
deh40
AG
Went at 12:30 today and they were closed because they ran out of food.
Builder93
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

On a side note, I'm interested to know how City of College Station allowed that kind of building placement with the brick back side of the building being the frontage to the HWY. Maybe I'm in the minority on that and we all have our own taste preferences but aesthetically speaking, that's not a good look imho.
Personally, when I'm dining I like to sit facing acres of beautiful asphalt on highway frontage while the pleasant whine of 18 wheels rushing along the pavement shakes the glass storefront.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
But I truly don't understand why you would have the back of your strip center face a major highway instead of the front of your business.

Why did they build where they faced that hotel and not potential business driving by?

Doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Builder93
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

But I truly don't understand why you would have the back of your strip center face a major highway instead of the front of your business.

Why did they build where they faced that hotel and not potential business driving by?

Doesn't make any sense at all to me.
What about the huge sign painted on the brick wall?
CRE-Ag
AG
The building is recessed a bit from the highway. I think it's better to have businesses face the 100+ folks per week who are at the hotels than the folks who've just passed the most convenient exit for the property at 75 mph.
eye3guy
AG
Breakfast this morning was wonderful! Extremely friendly staff and the owner made sure he visited folks at every table. Good food. Great people. Fair pricing. Highly recommend. (And the eggs come out perfect!)
cubbies25
AG
Went there for brunch this morning. I had the Southern Eggs Benedict and it was outstanding. My wife had French toast with Blueberry Compote. Both were very good and neatly plated. The fresh O.J. is to die for. Great crowd and the owner was making the rounds. The place is very neatly decorated and a must visit.
Gigem314
AG
Looking forward to trying this place.
Wicked Good Ag
cubbies25 said:

Went there for brunch this morning. I had the Southern Eggs Benedict and it was outstanding. My wife had French toast with Blueberry Compote. Both were very good and neatly plated. The fresh O.J. is to die for. Great crowd and the owner was making the rounds. The place is very neatly decorated and a must visit.

Looking forward to trying the Southern Eggs Benedict. Have had this meal style at another place out of state and loved it. That said I wish their menu would have prices attached online before going. I will try it regardless but like to know basic prices. This is not a super fancy place that has their menu change constantly from what I am reading
TLIAC
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I wondered the same thing but I have also always wondered by the ugly side of Scott and White Hospital faces Highway 6.
ChampsAg
Interesting to see the comments for and against depending on which thread you read. Makes you wonder if they went to the same place.
Wicked Good Ag
Champs. I was thinking the same thing. However many on here got to preview for free during the soft opening which tends to sway opinion. Have to see if the food is a good value to each individual person
MTTANK
AG
Had the southern ben today, it was 9 bucks if I remember correctly wicked good. Biscuit donut hole appetizer was 8 bucks, thought that was expensive in comparison for what you get. Meals seemed fairly priced to me though. I don't think this place will live up to your Truth BBQ recommendation, but its a nice add for CS breakfast options. Top notch service and a cool looking place. Ty Warren seemed to like it, so hard to argue that.
GIG 'EM
trouble
AG
For those of us who have just moved back to town, where is it?
The Anchor
AG
On Hwy 6 just south of Graham. Near the American Momentum Bank.
The Original AG 76
AG
Just tried it. Excellent food . Shrimp n grits right outa the Low Country. Biscuits are every bit as good as mentioned above. Very good addition to the local scene . Don't be shy when ordering the eggs. Tell em how you like em , they will make em any way you ask.
Definitely will be going back
rockelle
[This is not the GB. Be polite on this board or don't post on this board. -Staff]
techno-ag
AG
Featured on KBTX today.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
TaterTot_09
The biscuit French toast was really good!
TXAG 05
AG
K2T2 said:

Hearing that they keep only breakfast and lunch hours is a little disappointing. I had hoped for a [good, not IHOP or Denny's] breakfast place to fill the breakfast for dinner void, even though I'm pretty sure there's nothing on the menu I can eat. Maybe they'll change their mind about that!

This is a strange complaint. Shift worker?
rhoswen
AG
No, they would just like the option to have breakfast food for dinner at dinner time. Restaurant only open for breakfast & lunch.
AgTrip
Went for lunch and got an oxford which was a so-so burger with pimento cheese. They ran out grits for shrimp and grits (burned and it takes a while to make more). Friend got pot pie which looked liked a thick chicken noodle soup with a biscuit on it. Pretty overpriced and underwhelming. We'll see if it improves after being opened a while.
TXAG 05
AG
rhoswen said:

No, they would just like the option to have breakfast food for dinner at dinner time. Restaurant only open for breakfast & lunch.

Still. Outside of IHOP, Denny's, etc, I can't think of any restaurant that does that, so it's a strange complaint that a restaurant doesn't do something that hardly any restaraunts do. Maybe Camelia Grill in New Orleans, but that's it.
K2T2
Cstrickland05 said:

rhoswen said:

Still. Outside of IHOP, Denny's, etc, I can't think of any restaurant that does that, so it's a strange complaint that a restaurant doesn't do something that hardly any restaraunts do. Maybe Camelia Grill in New Orleans, but that's it.
Breakfast for dinner isn't a strange request - loads of people do breakfast for dinner at home, and crappy places like IHOP, Denny's, Jack in the Box, McDonald's, Kettle here do breakfast all day. Village used to until they added that pasta-heavy dinner menu, and I was really disappointed about that. I think Hullabaloo used to, also. You can get breakfast tacos all day at lots of the taco places. I was hoping this would fit the classic breakfast for dinner bill, but I'm still hoping they change their mind and expand hours after a while! I'm a huge proponent that breakfast food for breakfast only is bull*****
The Original AG 76
AG
K2T2 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

rhoswen said:

Breakfast for dinner isn't a strange request - loads of people do breakfast for dinner at home, and crappy places like IHOP, Denny's, Jack in the Box, McDonald's, Kettle here do breakfast all day. Village used to until they added that pasta-heavy dinner menu, and I was really disappointed about that. I think Hullabaloo used to, also. You can get breakfast tacos all day at lots of the taco places. I was hoping this would fit the classic breakfast for dinner bill, but I'm still hoping they change their mind and expand hours after a while! I'm a huge proponent that breakfast food for breakfast only is bull*****
The owner is there right now. HE visits every table and is very open to suggestions. Why not ask him ? He probably has very good reasons why he runs his place the way he does and would love to hear from a customer with an idea.
TXAG 05
AG
K2T2 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

rhoswen said:

Again, crappy 24 hr diners and and fast food. I love breakfast food more than anyone, but if I wanted it for dinner, I would cook it at home. It wouldnt even occur to me to go out for it. Obviously the demand just isn't there for regular restaurants to do it. If there was, restaurants serving breakfast at dinner would be much more common thing.

It sounds like you only eat breakfast for dinner, but most people don't.
SRCag18
AG
Funny..just had breakfast for dinner at home tonight. But, I can tell you, it wasn't quite as good as my meal at Stella on Sunday. I bet they know what they are doing though, so I am just thrilled that they are open. Great job to all involved!!!! Can we just not complain about every little thing? My wife says that if you want it for dinner so bad, go at lunch, carryout, warm it up for dinner at night. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!
deh40
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

rhoswen said:

Black Bear and Harris County Smokehouse in Katy both serve breakfast all day.
76Ag
AG
True, but they are both packed at meal times. As far as Harris County Smokehouse goes, I don't understand why. The food is expensive and mediocre. Toasted Yolk is a better choice but only open until 3:00. A Toasted Yolk would be great in B/CS.
O.G.
Cstrickland05 said:

rhoswen said:

There are several in and around the South Bend IN, area that do it, or close by 3pm.

You'd be amazed what other major university towns get accomplished when the locals stop going into vapor lock every time a new idea comes along.....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.