Stella Southern Cafe

18,559 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JMac03
ag009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went this morning and it was excellent. Food was delicious, and the service was exceptional. I had biscuits and gravy and it was awesome, fluffy and light. We spoke with the owner and he was a really nice guy.
AggiePhil
AG
My experience was all around underwhelming.
Bohica64
Not impressed at all. I ordered Biscuits & gravy (it was 1 biscuit cut in half) and it was cold, coffee was just okay. The meal in my opinion was on the expensive side for what it was. Don't think I will be going back.
happyinBCS
The biscuit and gravy and coffee is about 10 bucks and you order at the counter Adding to my thoughts as I said you order at the counter and get a spoon instead of a tent like at Whataburger same meal there 2 bucks Oh well I hope they do great
jja79
AG

They may do great, but it's not for me.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Wife and I had it a few weeks ago.

We were both kind of.....apathetic about it.

Ordering and paying at the counter when you walk in was interesting. Kind of refreshing, actually. The service was good. The owner stopped by and asked how it was. That was all well and good.

It was the food that was just....meh.

I had the Southern Benedict and was unimpressed. The ham wasn't that great and the gravy had an odd aftertaste to it. Almost like a slight burned skillet taste. The wife had the shrimp and grits and the grits didn't have much flavor to them.

I'd be willing to go back to try the biscuit french toast and the biscuit donut holes, but I'm in no hurry.

It's too bad, because I really wanted a place like this near my house. We love First Watch, but can't seem to get over there on Saturday mornings (since we work during the week) and on Sundays I have to use their app to get on the waiting list before we even leave for church because the wait is that long.
Psychag
AG
Hulabaloo's Biscuits and gravy are awesome.
australopithecus robustus
Roasted corn and turbinado biscuits with the roasted poblano and chorizo gravy at Cafe Eccell. OMG
AggiePhil
AG
IMO, they should increase the portion sizes and hire a new head chef. Lots of potential there to be realized.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Psychag said:

Hulabaloo's Biscuits and gravy are awesome.

Yes. Yes, they are.

And their Elvis fries are the best side/appetizer in all of town.
AgsWin2011
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Psychag said:

HHulabaloo's Biscuits and gravy are awesome.

Yes. Yes, they are.

Damn you both! My wife just started me on the Keto diet yesterday and all I want is bread/biscuits and carbs.
cs69ag
AG
Very average to me, and more than I want to spend for breakfast for what they offer.
Line out the door while I was there....915 a.m. to 1015 a.m yesterday (Sun) Good service and turning the tables so that seating not a big problem. ok decor. If you are big into biscuits and gravy, this place is for u. $3 for coffee.
My gravy was not hot. My fried eggs cooked too much. Biscuits just ok. Ham was good. One time trip for me.
South CS does need a breakfast place, so they will likely continue to be busy.
Average Joe
AG
Heismenberg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Psychag said:

HHulabaloo's Biscuits and gravy are awesome.

Yes. Yes, they are.

Damn you both! My wife just started me on the Keto diet yesterday and all I want is bread/biscuits and carbs.
I've been on Keto since the beginning of July and been craving their french toast every day since.
Wicked Good Ag
We went this morning after dropping off the kids at school and before going to Austin airport to drop off other daughter

Food was decent. The sausage gravy was a bit different then I am used to but was solid. Wife loved the biscuits with both strawberry and the mimosa jams. Daughter had the pulled pork and pimento cheese and I had the southern Benedict

Eggs came out different on our two plates. Best thing was biscuits and jam. Cost is about $1-1.50 per entree too high IMO

Will we go back? I am sure we will to try a couple of things that intrigued us on the menu but likely for a brunch rather than breakfast as it was too expensive for a straight breakfast to have on a regular rotation.
Carny89
We went last week. I had bacon and eggs. It was good. Like the kettle or anywhere else. The juice was the best. Nothing worth making me drive from west side to way over there. I'm too stuck on tortillas and eggs.
davido
AG
First Watch is the same. Only breakfast + lunch.
Wicked Good Ag
Went back again with a couple of people and were disappointed. The chicken pot pie was below average at best and the shrimp and grits wasn't bad but nothing to ever get again. Others got the same things we had previously and so nothing new to add there but not sure we will be back without a changing menu. Still like the mimosa jam we got previously and also strawberry fig although it wasn't the same they gave out last time we were there so bought it based upon a different jam and wish we had the first version
Bucketrunner
We so wanted this to be someplace we could put in regular rotation, because the south end desperately needs a good sit down place for breakfast/brunch. We've been twice and just aren't feeling it. The biscuits are a big disappointment. Those from a freezer compare well. The highlight is the wonderful orange juice.

My dream is Another Broken Egg. We absolutely love their menu.
AggiePhil
AG
Way overhyped but has lots of potential. Hopefully they hire a new chef and/or completely redesign the menu.
chloelee
We have been twice just to make sure to take Stella out of our rotation. Food is way overpriced for the quality in my opinion. Ours was bland at best.
dallasiteinsa02
If they triple the food quality, double the portions, and have more variety, this is the restaurant they could be:

Biscuit Love
AggieBarstool
Bucketrunner said:

We so wanted this to be someplace we could put in regular rotation, because the south end desperately needs a good sit down place for breakfast/brunch. We've been twice and just aren't feeling it. The biscuits are a big disappointment. Those from a freezer compare well. The highlight is the wonderful orange juice.

My dream is Another Broken Egg. We absolutely love their menu.
Really? Yuck. I have literally never had a good breakfast/brunch experience at ABE. I've tried. Believe me, I want to like it.
TXAG 05
AG
Looking at the menu, their prices are definitely not out of line, you would have to go to McDonalds to get cheaper. If the food just isn't good, that's something else.
Wicked Good Ag
I would rather have McDonald's then and it's cheaper.
armymom
McDonald's pancakes aren't bad!
Bucketrunner
We discovered the one in Shreveport during an NCAA basketball tournament and make a point to coordinate our timing when traveling east so as to have a meal there. I'm all about their seafood omelette with butter sauce and their bloody mary.
O.G.
chloelee said:

We have been twice just to make sure to take Stella out of our rotation. Food is way overpriced for the quality in my opinion. Ours was bland at best.

Tried Hullabaloo diner, twice. just to make sure it was out of my rotation. Food was undercooked, and way over priced for plastic forks and styrofoam plates.....

Loved Stella. Owner and his dad were busting butt to help out the staff, you dont see that much these days and I'll support anyone that puts that much effort into it before I go to some corporate place or some over rated "diner" that can't get eggs right.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Wife and I had it a few weeks ago.

We were both kind of.....apathetic about it.

Ordering and paying at the counter when you walk in was interesting. Kind of refreshing, actually. The service was good. The owner stopped by and asked how it was. That was all well and good.

It was the food that was just....meh.

I had the Southern Benedict and was unimpressed. The ham wasn't that great and the gravy had an odd aftertaste to it. Almost like a slight burned skillet taste. The wife had the shrimp and grits and the grits didn't have much flavor to them.

I'd be willing to go back to try the biscuit french toast and the biscuit donut holes, but I'm in no hurry.

It's too bad, because I really wanted a place like this near my house. We love First Watch, but can't seem to get over there on Saturday mornings (since we work during the week) and on Sundays I have to use their app to get on the waiting list before we even leave for church because the wait is that long.
My thoughts exactly, I had the Southern Benedict and gravy was meh, wife had oatmeal with bananas. With two cups of coffee and tip $25. Plus with all traffic sound, patio was loud. She likes it as a place to have coffee and chat with friends, but there's so many other places that I don't see the allure.
Aggieranger
I just mentioned to my spouse last night that we needed to try it and she informed me that she already had!
motherrunnersBCS
Kids are out of school so we tried for brunch. I had the butternut squash grits, which I would definitely have again. Coffee was good. Kids ate the biscuit donuts and declared them delicious. I will go again, especially when it is cool enough for the patio. The highway noise was not too awful, I guess because it was after morning rush hour. We had a good experience. Will try their fresh orange juice from their fancy squeezing machine next time, just so the kids can watch it work. Anyone know if dogs are welcome on the patio?
Aggiewife64
Great
AggieBarstool
Well, my wife and I were able to finally make a visit when there wasn't a stupid-long line out front.

As others have said, the experience was somewhere between average/meh/underwhelming.

I got the 2 eggs breakfast. Eggs were sunny side up and decent. Bacon was simultaneously under-cooked, chewy, and flavorless. The cheesy grits were okay with a bunch of hot sauce (I admit, I'm not a grits fan but decided it give it another go just in case they stumbled on to something unique). The biscuit was fluffy, and light, but could have used a couple more minutes in the oven.

What WAS good, surprisingly, was the coffee! I have a thing for strong coffee when I go out for a breakfast like this and it didn't disappoint. The manager said they source from Independence Coffee Co and brew their "house" blend.

My wife's experience: same opinion on the eggs and biscuit. Sausage gravy was good -- not too salty or greasy, and with a good hint of sausage. Everything else food-wise was underwhelming. She appreciated the light and refreshing flavor of the unsweetened iced tea.

Service wise, we had our food brought to us and that's it. No one came around with refills. Anything we needed, we had to go to the counter and ask for. I hate to sound like a scrooge, but what's the point of paying a tip if you order at a counter and the only table-side service is that of your food being brought to you?

Altogether, we weren't upset we tried this place but won't be going back any time soon. It feels like the owners tried to replicate First Watch's success but do so in the cheapest way possible. At $29, I would have appreciated more quality/flavor, and service, or rather gone to FW. That said, they've stumbled on to something, I guess, because the place is always packed.
Tailgate88
AG
I don't eat breakfast except on very rare occasions and then I choose Mexican, but I do love Independence coffee so I may stop in for a cup.
JMac03
AG
My daughter and I ate there last weekend. I can't say we won't ever go back, but it definitely will not be frequent. I thought the service was fine. Our food was brought out in under 3 minutes both times. They refilled my soda. My daughter ordered the kids oatmeal and did not like it, so I let her go back through the line and order another kids meal. I had the chicken and not waffles - it was different. I would eat it again. You would have thought they would have questioned my daughters uneaten oatmeal when they brought her second plate of food but they did not, but no biggie. It came out to around $30 with buying two meals for her. I think my chicken and not waffles was $11, each of her kids meals was $5 plus soda and tip.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.