Favorite off the beaten path things to do/see/eat in NOLA?

2,215 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
NurseC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed there in 2 weeks and would like to try some non touristy things this trip! Thanks..
crbongos
AG
Try Frenchman Street. Touristy but less touristy. Try Adolfo's for dinner. Don't take reservations. Get on trolley and try bkfst at Camilla Grill. Old throwback and beautiful 20 min trolley ride past Tulane and garden district. Pecan waffles. Hey it's Nola.-/all about food and drink!!!!
CRBongo
Costa and Andreas
Cochon Butcher

Dominica

You're welcome!
Wicked Good Ag
What do you like to do? What foods do you like to eat? What is your budget for the trip ?
doubledog
I go to Mother's http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/ for etouffe and their southern Ham meal.
and Madina's http://mandinasrestaurant.com/ on Canal street for fried chicken.
NurseC
AG
Staying in an AirBnb on Frenchman, I'll be with fellow foodies who enjoy cocktails/beers, music and exploring historical sites in cities, etc

Budget not too limited..there for 2.5 days.
musicforall
Eat at Shaya, (get a reservation for lunch which is probably all you can get at this late date), walk around Garden District, get a snow ball, ride the streetcar back.

K2T2
Pop in to Breads on Oaks for a quick breakfast or lunch centered around their fantastic breads and pastries!!
Wicked Good Ag
A lot of the ideas expressed are really good and should be in your potential rotation

Bayona is really good. Gumbo shop for actual gumbo
Ruby slipper was a good breakfast as well. As for city.
City park is a good early morning run
garden district via streetcar gets you to lafeyette cemetery and Commander for a solid lunch/brunch and can get off at Loyola/Tulane universities off same streetcar. Frenchmen's is the newer place to be at night
I personally didn't like the ghost tour we did even went with open mind but a bar crawl would be fun. Oak Alley planatation on way there or back would be good as well
theycallmemrtibbs
If you like Greek-style fare check out Cleo's on Canal in the business district. Little hole in the wall place. One of those places that started as a convenience store and decided to serve food. Awesome food, great people!
jeffk
AG
If you want to get out of town for a bit, you can go see the Battle of New Orleans battlefield and monument.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php?locationID=2313
isitjustme
AG
Love New Orleans, lots of great places to eat and drink including those listed above. Just don't get too far off the beaten path, or to the wrong area off the beaten path, or you could get beaten. Muggings are up, especially at night, and they often come with beatings. So enjoy the great food and beverage, stay aware of your surroundings, and have as much fun in the big easy as I usually do.
duffelpud
AG
Dinner in the Jazz Room at Arnaud's.
"What's this button do?"
techno-ag
AG
jeffk said:

If you want to get out of town for a bit, you can go see the Battle of New Orleans battlefield and monument.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php?locationID=2313
Yup. Take the steamboat up the Mississippi to get there.
halibut sinclair
thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
I second Arnauds.... Also may try and get into Commanders Palace. If driving, stop in Lake Charles at Darell's for lunch... Order a Darell's special and thank me later!
Aggie Owned and Operated by Jarrad and Elisha McLeod Class of 2003 and 2006! The Official Mattress Provider of TexAgs!
Anonymous Source
S
Willie Mae's Scotch House for the best fried chicken in the country. Get it with a side of red beans and rice.
For a good authentic po-boy, try Frankie & Johnny's or Domilise's
Gig 'Em
gopitt
Arnaud's for one of the best dinners and superb service anywhere.
Chill in the cozy bar with a great martini or two before dinner.
eloc62
I always go to Deanie's Seafood when I'm in NOLA , and i get the Lousiana BBQ shrimp. Great food at a good price, and good portions. Maybe off the beaten path.
Wicked Good Ag
CollegeStationAgFan said:

Willie Mae's Scotch House for the best fried chicken in the country. Get it with a side of red beans and rice.
For a good authentic po-boy, try Frankie & Johnny's or Domilise's

Dooky Chase is damn good also. Both are amazing
Post removed:
by user
halibut sinclair
Deanie's and Drago's are 2 of our favorites.
Carousel Bar at the Monteleone and Sazerac Bar at Roosevelt Hotel.

Much better places around for gumbo than the Gumbo Shop.
Post removed:
by user
duffelpud
AG
I'll second Deanie's - had a great lunch there a few weeks ago. Sit at the bar and ask the tender to recommend a winner.
"What's this button do?"
Wicked Good Ag
I also liked the besthoff sculpture gardens for free. But may not be fun for some
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.