Disposing of Outdated Prescription Meds

1,276 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 75AG
ro828
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We cleaned out the kitchen cabinet and have a bag full of prescription meds. No way we're flushing them down the toilet, so forget that.

Is there anywhere in B/CS that we can safely dispose of them? When we finally got hold of a human being at Walgreen's we were told they used to do this but don't any more.
cslifer
There is a medication drop box at the College Station Fire Dept admin 300 Krenek Tap. Go in the entrance for the municipal court.
Kitten With A Whip
At Kroger Pharmacy on Rock Prairie, you can purchase a bag for about 3 bucks, fill it with the medication and they will send it away for you. I have been told that the Sheriff's Department will also dispose of them for you, but I would call first to confirm.
AgResearch
AG
Quote:

Disposing medicines in household trash: Almost all medicines can be thrown into your household trash. These include prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs in pills, liquids, drops, patches, creams, and inhalers.
Follow these steps:
[ol]
  • Remove the drugs from their original containers and mix them with something undesirable, such as used coffee grounds, dirt, or cat litter. This makes the medicine less appealing to children and pets and unrecognizable to someone who might intentionally go through the trash looking for drugs.
  • Put the mixture in something you can close (a re-sealable zipper storage bag, empty can, or other container) to prevent the drug from leaking or spilling out.
  • Throw the container in the garbage.
  • Scratch out all your personal information on the empty medicine packaging to protect your identity and privacy. Throw the packaging away.
  • [/ol]If you have a question about your medicine, ask your health care provider or pharmacist.
    From the FDA.

When I've lived places that don't have access to drop boxes => I prefer to crush, add to dirt in coffee can, add some water and then seal the coffee can shut with electrical tape.
    95_Aggie
    AG
    I crushed some pain meds in a ziplock bag and added dog poop. Don't think anyone would be tempted after that.
    iisanaggie
    AG
    Walgreens at 29th/Briarcrest has a container to drop them in by the pharmacy.
    iisanaggie
    AG
    Walgreens at 29th/Briarcrest has a container to drop them in by the pharmacy.
    techno-ag
    AG
    ro828 said:

We cleaned out the kitchen cabinet and have a bag full of prescription meds. No way we're flushing them down the toilet, so forget that.

Is there anywhere in B/CS that we can safely dispose of them? When we finally got hold of a human being at Walgreen's we were told they used to do this but don't any more.
    They told you wrong. As mentioned, there is a disposal box at the Walgreens near Bryan High.
    Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
    patmorgan235
    You can also wait for the next Hazardous Waste disposals event in October. http://twinoakslandfill.com/hhw.asp
    75AG
    AG
    Research is 100% correct with his information. And, unless you are on septic, there are certain medications that according to the FDA and EPA, can be safely flushed down the toilet. A properly operating waste water treatment plant should have the ability to degrade those medicines.

And thanks OP for caring about this. Too many people either dispose improperly, or keep these unneeded/outdated medicines around the house leading to misuse, abuse, or theft.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.