Best Dog Trainer

2,185 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agmj2007
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
?
JMac03
AG
I have several friends who have used Sit Means Sit and swear by it. We just haven't bit the bullet yet. I even think they have something on Groupon.
op_06
AG
We used Sit Means Sit-Austin with our 5 year old terrier and had great success. I'm sure the College Station business runs the same way.

The "place" and "come" commands were worth the money spent on training alone. I don't recall the exact cost, but we dropped our dog off for a week of boarding/training. They sent video updates throughout the week of his training and progress. The package also included an e-collar w/ lifetime warranty and unlimited group training sessions to reinforce good behaviors.

bionat80
Puppy Love

no e-collars! all positive reinforcement training!
TransplantedRedRaider
Another vote for Puppy Love! We took our 5 month old puppy there almost 12 years ago. He attended Puppy Kindergarten. Let's just say, my boy was not at the top of his class, but they were patient, kind, and use only positive reinforcement. My dog still uses the skills he learned there all the time.

One of the most important things we learned, "A tired dog is a good dog." A long walk daily is good for them physically and mentally. Tired dogs aren't destructive and are much more fun to be around.

Please be cautious about training with the shock collars or high pitch noises. I'm not a fan of compliance thru fear. If you consider that approach, please read up on the topic--the results are not uniformly positive. I know there are different opinions on this subject, but I would not use that approach with any dog in my care.

75AG
AG
Sit Means Sit did a wonderful job with our 1.5 YO Pyrenees. They are expensive, but IMHO, well worth it! Those afraid of the e-collar: it is no more than a light "thump", a gentle reminder to pay attention. It is NOT shocking your dog.
DimeBox17
AG
Thinking about sending my 3 year old lab to sit means sit after hearing and reading great things about them. Can someone give me an idea on how much it is?
JMac03
AG
DimeBox17 said:

Thinking about sending my 3 year old lab to sit means sit after hearing and reading great things about them. Can someone give me an idea on how much it is?
Their Groupon that is out there is $325 for $650 worth of dog training - and says it is for 4 - 1 hour private sessions. I could be off-base, but I want to say its at or above a grand for them to take your dog for several days and do the intense sessions. BUT from what I've read, it varies by needs and how long they have your pet and is very individualistic. And I've never heard anything negative (other than the folks who do not like the use of ecollars). I've had several friends use them.
75AG
AG
We did 15 "doggy day school days" and it was $2700.
bionat80
training with the sound of your voice vrs carrying the e collar remote with you sounds like a much more efficient and effective method
8RB8
Had a very poor experience with Sit Means Sit. Our pup was there for ten days, we received one update after the first day, but nothing after that. When we went to pick her up, we were greeted by a sweet girl that was about 18 years old, and were told that we were her first group that she has ever trained. We went through a very unorganized program where she showed us all that was taught and how to keep up with it. The problem is that our puppy was not obedient at all throughout her demonstration. This was explained away by the fact that she was so excited to see us.

To top everything off, our puppy is a doodle mix, with very thick, curly hair. We noticed at the training that she had many sticker-burs when we pet her, but did not realize the extent until we got home and spent over an hour removing over 100 from throughout her fur and paws. A) how do you allow it to get that bad in the first place?? B) They are supposed to give her a bath while she is there.

I have not shared that in a public forum before, but thought it was worth mentioning. It makes me sick when I think of how much money we flushed down the toilet there.
DPlainview
AG
8RB8 - We had a very similar experience with SMS right after they moved into their new building. Perhaps it was the same new girl? Very nice, just didn't feel like anything with our dog took - including the one or two things we asked them to focus on. Nothing worked in their demonstration for our dog either. Full package deal, just like you.

I have been hesitant as well to say anything on these boards, because it seems like so many people have gotten great results. I just figured we had a stubborn dog or that we didn't work hard enough with him once the two weeks was over. That being said, it was a lot of $.

I'm glad it works out for so many people, but it should be known that it doesn't work for everyone and people should go in knowing not to expect perfection.

agmj2007
I've got a Collie and my vet recommended Puppy Love due to the fact that the owner is a vet that specializes in behavior in dogs. I put her in puppy kindergarten and she did very well but I will say its all about what time you invest in the outside the classroom practicing and not just the 1 hour weekly training. Also I found Puppy love to be really reasonable on cost, $150 I think for 8 1 hour group training sessions which taught the basics. Cost might have changed as I went through it about 2 years ago now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.