Visitors Coming to Texas

2,258 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Koko Chingo
Aggie_CP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We will have some folks visiting us from Pittsburgh, PA this week and wanted to show them some Texas flavor as far as food, beverages, and venues go. Something they can't get in their neck of the woods. Can be from B-CS to Brenham. Last time they came, they enjoyed plenty of BBQ so that option is probably off the table. If you had to entertain visitors for a night around here, what does it look like? I think they are staying at the Stella.
bobinator
AG
One thing that we have in Texas that they don't have a lot up north in my experience is Mexican restaurants that cater specifically to Mexican-Americans. I'm not trying to start a debate over what is and isn't "authentic" Mexican food because I don't think that particularly matters, but I do think it's an interesting experience to go to a Mexican food place that doesn't worry about marketing itself to non-hispanic people.

Raspas El Payasito on Coulter in Bryan is one such place that I really like. It's not the fanciest restaurant in the world to be sure, but they make the best tortas in B/CS and everyone I've ever taken there has really liked whatever they ordered. But, depending on who's working that night, it might be helpful if someone in your group spoke some Spanish. Either that or don't try to make any substitutions on your order.

Anyway, I think that's a unique experience for most folks. Tex-Mex is awesome, but it's not that hard to find in other parts of the country.
CrazyAgE
Jesse's......end of thread!
theycallmemrtibbs
Shoulda had them fly into <insert any one of Texas' five largest cities> and met them there.
Aggie_CP
Guess I should have expanded to say we are looking for a fun atmosphere that may or may not have music as well. A social place with Texas flare to it kind of like the Kenney Store. They have Ty Herndon playing two days this week and the other days might not work.

Appreciate the ideas. They loved the breakfast burritos (way bigger than tacos) last time and we plan on getting some again.
bobinator
AG
New Republic Brewing has live music on the weekends and also has Rio Brazos Distillery and Perrine Winery right there also, it's a pretty good time. Lakeside Ice House at Lake Bryan also has live music on Saturdays I think.
histag10
AG
I think there is frequently live music in Century Square.
jja79
AG
If you can afford to park there.
bobinator
AG
There's nothing quintessentially Texas about Century Square. That's not to say there's anything bad about it, it's great, but there's nothing about it that screams "only in Texas" or anything.
halibut sinclair
Take them out to Yankee's Tavern in Carlos for the Wednesday night special - 16 oz ribeye, huge baked potato, salad and TEXAS toast for $23.95. Wash it down with a cold Lone Star.
tmaggies
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Take them out to Yankee's Tavern in Carlos for the Wednesday night special - 16 oz ribeye, huge baked potato, salad and TEXAS toast for $23.95. Wash it down with a cold Lone Star.
mmm

Hell they will fit right in!!!
techno-ag
AG
Top of the Hill for burgers. Sodolaks for comfort food.
halibut sinclair
TXAG 05
AG
bobinator said:

Anyway, I think that's a unique experience for most folks. Tex-Mex is awesome, but it's not that hard to find in other parts of the country.

It might be easy to find, but it's terrible. There is a steady decline once you get north of 290
theycallmemrtibbs
Cstrickland05 said:

bobinator said:

It might be easy to find, but it's terrible. There is a steady decline once you get north of 290

You don't get out much do you.
TXAG 05
AG
I do plenty. I also don't settle for bad mexican food. It always amazes me how many people can screw up something so simple as an enchilada.
Koko Chingo
AG
Snows BBQ on a Saturday. BBQ for breakfast is a Texas thing.
It is a good first stop on an Austin day trip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.