grass is dying in front yard. I need a yard doctor.

3,063 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dachicken89
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We came home from vacation 3 weeks ago and noticed a small patch of grass of grass that seemed to be dying in our front yard. my first thought was, ok maybe it needs some extra watering, but that is not the case. it continued to spread and now covers about 25% of my front yard. something is going on and i need somebody to come out and tell me what it is and help me fix it. Any recs on who does this type of thing? Who have you used? Who would you call?
birdman
Is the dying patch a circle?
eloc62
was kinda oblong but has continued to spread.
InMyOpinion
Aggieland green
classicdoug
AG
Call Tim at Aggieland Green.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
Is it St. Augustine? Could be chinch bugs or gray leaf spot.

Below is some further reading on both but you can get rid of chinch bugs with an insecticide labeled for lawn use and you can get rid of gray leaf spot with a fungicide:

http://neilsperry.com/faq/st-augustine-yellowing-looking-dry-along-sidewalk-5143/

http://neilsperry.com/2013/06/gray-leaf-spot-outbreak/

91_Aggie
AG
yep, Chinch bugs and/or Fungus is what will kill your lawn.

My front lawn is suffering right now... thought I hit both of those before, but apparently the Chinch bugs were deeper down the pesticide could reach.

So I applied heavier does and watered afterwards.

But we we have had rain recently so I may have to hit again.
TAMU1990
AG
I had the same problem for two years and contacted Aggieland Green. First thing I was told to do was to stop watering my lawn. We had a very wet spring. I haven't watered my yard all year. The clay soils in this area maintain moisture for quite a while. They have been treating my yard for the past few months and I have seen improvement. I also airrated the yard. I think it will be healthy by the fall and next spring. It's not something that can be corrected in a month or two.
LastHamlet
AG
classicdoug said:

Yup Tim at Aggieland Green is the best in town.
JayHowdy!
classicdoug said:

I can not recommend these guys highly enough. Aggieland Green turned my yard around in one season. They do excellent work.
TLIAC
AG
I'll jump on the Aggieland Green bandwagon. I had chinch bugs too and Tim is the only one who came out that actually pulled up some of the grass and looked at the roots to diagnose the problem. Pretty green yard now.
tbone94
AG
I really appreciate the very kind words and reference. We aren't perfect, but we do our best every day and we have a great team that I'm super proud to have.

Our customer referrals and recommendations are the highest compliment we could receive. If we can help in any way, call us anytime.

Gig Em

Tim Schnabel '94
eloc62
Thanks guys for the help. yes, it is St. Augustine. Don't think it a watering issue, because the rest of the yard looks great, except for this patch that is spreading and now beginning to look like the state of Texas if you flipped it over backwards. Calling for help tomorrow.
91_Aggie
AG
eloc62 said:

Thanks guys for the help. yes, it is St. Augustine. Don't think it a watering issue, because the rest of the yard looks great, except for this patch that is spreading and now beginning to look like the state of Texas if you flipped it over backwards. Calling for help tomorrow.
fungus can be isolated to certain sections like you describe... it usually, but not always makes something of a circular pattern.
My yard got hit hard with it with all the wet from last year.

Home Depot has fungus control in stock (I can never find it at Lowes).

bobinator
AG
This may be an impossible question to answer, but can someone ballpark what having a group like Aggieland Green take care of your yard might look like? I'd say we have a medium sized yard for being in town, but it's mostly weeds and there's definitely some kind of bug/fungus in the front yard that's killed mostly everything in about an 8 foot circle.

Any sort of rough ballpark of what we might be looking at price wise from folks that have done it?

We're renting the house, and the owner doesn't seem interested in putting any money into the yard, but if it's not outrageous we might consider doing it just so we don't have to look at it every day looking so bad.
LastHamlet
AG
Tim is very reasonable
bobinator
AG
What does "reasonable" look like for this type of service? I've never ventured into this before so I have no concept of what we might be talking.
LastHamlet
AG
LastHamlet
AG
I don't want to put his prices out there due to competitors reading this forum. I will just say that before getting a quote I was expecting something more expensive. I was surprised. Just give him a call and let him give you a quote.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
We're out of town half the time. Sometimes for a month at a time.

Tim has been taking care of mine for 8 years.
Ridiculous good job.

KidDoc
AG
Aggieland Green here as well. Just started using them this year and they are excellent. Their mosquito service is great as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eloc62
Finally found out i have chinch bugs. After trying my self to diagnose problem, and not wanting to sign up for a yearly service plan, I was at my father in laws house tonight and was talking to him about it. He is a former professor of entomology at Texas A&M. I showed him a pic on my phone of the yard, and he said, " chinch bugs, thats chinch bugs." The man knows bugs. I was out in my yard tonight at 10:00 pm spreading the granuals and watering them in to kill these things. I say to the chinch bugs, in the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, "Of course you know, this means war!"
dachicken89
AG
I had that same issue about 3 years ago... So here's another endorsement for Aggieland Green. With my annual contract, if I ever have an issue or a problem between visits, they come right out and address it. My yard stands out beautifully compared to my neighbors!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.