Moving back to Aggieland -internet options?

2,183 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nwspmp
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I see everyone hating Suddenlink. We will be just off Harvey Road/Dartmouth for a year or so. Do I have any other option?
UmustBKidding
At that location you might have and option. You should be within 5000' of the college station post oak central office. So wirestar is likely available but you will have to get them to tell you. It's basically uverse like vdsl service so up to 30Mbps depending on the loop length. But you mentioned a year, and if only that long you can sign up for Suddenlink loss leader rate and be on the way out when the new higher second year rate is taking effect.
halibut sinclair
No, Suddenlink is your only decent option. We've used them for many years and never had a problem.
MemphisAg1
AG
I have SL in south CS and love it. More importantly, so do my wife and three sons in their mid 20's.
Stupe
S
They are your only option for high speed internet. The most frustrating thing about them is that if you have an actual issue, it is a pain to get someone to come to your house. We had an issue with our modem shortly after we had ours installed and it took at least ten phone calls to get someone to come to our house instead of having a tech on the phone telling me to reset or restart my modem.
The Original AG 76
AG
I think you will find that it is SL's tv service that draws the most ire on here. Pathetically primitive equipment and horrific customer service. But as a veteran of virtually every form of cable/satellite options around the country I can say that while SL is possibly the worst it's simply the worst in a complete desert void of any customer service..... they are ALL horrible. We have had no technical issues with SL internet and have no problem recommending it.
JMac03
AG
We have never had issues with Suddenlink internet. We actually never had issues with their TV other than constantly raising their rates. Our internet speeds are fast (100meg to the house). If you want fast, reliable speed, they are probably your only real solid bet.

If you are moving to the outskirts, CEO may be an option, but honestly I would get Suddenlink if you have a choice. Frontier ADSL is probably an option as well, but not as fast as SL.
AggieBarstool
halibut sinclair said:

No, Suddenlink is your only decent option. We've used them for many years and never had a problem.
+1. Been using them since they were Cox (so 10+ years). No issues whatsoever. Always get advertised speeds. Customer service has always been prompt and courteous (and helpful).
Dark Helmet
Suddenlink treats me like garbage and refuses to fix the problem. They know what it is, but refuse to fix it. I call them every weekday for a status update and it wastes an hour of my day. I am getting 10% of the speeds I pay for.

I am moving soon, so whatever, but I'm saying this to tell you that Suddenlink is a horrible company and I hope something comes out like they financed a war criminal and they are all jailed and hanged for crimes against humanity.

I honestly hate Suddenlink more than I hate Illinois nazis and communists. If I had to choose between spending ten years on an island with Adolf Hitler and Mao Zedong or a team of Suddenlink call center employees, I would choose Hitler and Chairman Mao every time.

That's with the language barrier. I do not speak German or Mandarin. I would still have a better time with those two than anyone at Suddenlink.
jiffer
AG
well that escalated quickly!!
Tailgate88
AG
Dang son!
InMyOpinion
Dark Helmet said:

They know what it is, but refuse to fix it.

What is the problem?
patmorgan235
A lot of people like to complain about Suddenlink just like every other ISP, but their actually not that bad. Their Customer service is bad but their connections are usually really stable and will get you the advertised speed. Customers on the Edge of town or on ageing infrastructure will have more issues than others but on the whole SL could be so much worse.. they could be frontier.
labmansid
patmorgan235 said:

A lot of people like to complain about Suddenlink just like every other ISP, but their actually not that bad. Their Customer service is bad but their connections are usually really stable and will get you the advertised speed. Customers on the Edge of town or on ageing infrastructure will have more issues than others but on the whole SL could be so much worse.. they could be frontier.
This x100.

Stay away from frontier if at all possible. We live on the edge of town where Suddenlink is not an option, yet. We use CEO, and it's decent and pretty reliable overall, but only because it's the only viable option at the moment, but expensive for what you get. I tried frontier for a couple of months last winter, and they tried adding on a bunch of crap I never wanted nor asked for. Took several calls to rectify it. Plus, they "misrepresented" what speed they could supply, never would deliver. So I cut them loose. We had Suddenlink for about a year when we lived in town with no problem, will go back to them if it ever becomes available to us.
InMyOpinion
patmorgan235 said:

I would also add that a fair number of times when there is an issue with Suddenlink it is usually the customers equipment - router / computer / home wiring etc.
BrandoC
AG
That's the problem. Raising rates for no frekin reason then lie to you saying "we want to keep you up with the new technology" excuse. Wireless internet is wireless internet. There is not and should not be anything to make it better. Does not even make sense. Suddenlink is a 'nickel and dime you' company that will try and bleed you for every cent.
Oogway
BrandoC said:

That's the problem. Raising rates for no frekin reason other than they are a for profit company beholden to their shareholders who are watching the price drop like the Titanic. The parent company does not view you as a customer.

FIFY
nwspmp
BrandoC said:

That's the problem. Raising rates for no frekin reason then lie to you saying "we want to keep you up with the new technology" excuse. Wireless internet is wireless internet. There is not and should not be anything to make it better. Does not even make sense. Suddenlink is a 'nickel and dime you' company that will try and bleed you for every cent.
I would argue that "we want to keep you up with the new technology" isn't an excuse. While the "wireless internet" that you have deployed in your house isn't changing much, the backend technology needed to deal with the ever increasing use of data in the background does require technology and hardware upgrades to keep the network running as smooth as it is. The B/CS market was one of the first in Suddenlink to deploy DOCSIS 3 and the Gigabit cable modem speeds.

While I'm certainly not saying they're perfect in any way, Suddenlink as an Internet provider has been pretty solidly delivering the product that they are supposed to deliver; a reliable internet signal to the demarc point at my house, especially when I consider it against some other ISPs I've dealt with. The equipment and wiring within are mine to manage, though some do abdicate this to Suddenlink to handle for them, and that service may be garbage (dunno; never used their modems, wiring repairs within my house or their provided WiFi routers).

Doesn't justify the price increases at times (which is evidently another thing I've been lucky at; mine has stayed consistent as long as I haven't changed the Internet package I have; I do NOT have their TV services though) but isn't not as cut and dry as "I don't have anything different here, what upgrades were done?"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.