DirecTV NOW finally offers B/CS local channels

2,514 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just notice this when I was scrolling through the guide this evening. My 3 month trial ends soon and was already planning on getting YouTube TV for locals since it WAS the only one to offer all the locals (CBS, FOX, ABC & NBC).

What is everyone else's recommendation in regards to DTV Now and YouTube TV? PS VUE is out since they only offer CBS and none of the other locals. I'm a football junkie and I need my fix.

Took all of my Suddenlink equipment back after they wouldn't work a deal with me on my cable.
ChampsAg
Haven't they had them for a while? Do wish they had KBTX in HD.
jrhmc
AG
Hulu Live now has most of these as well.
AgsWin2011
AG
ChampsAg said:

Haven't they had them for a while? Do wish they had KBTX in HD.

I don't believe so. I did the prepay 3 months and get a free Apple TV 4K deal and haven't had the locals the entire time. They must've added them within the last few days (or I just noticed them anyway).
ChampsAg
I have had locals out of Waco as well as KBTX and ch. 25, 44, 10
InMyOpinion
That is awesome. I just opened and confirmed they have CBS, FOX, NBC

They did not have them 2 days ago, as I have been testing YouTubeTV, HuluTV, DirecTV Now and PS Vue trial versions the the last few days.

YouTube TV was the only streaming service to have all 4. DirecTV Now had none. Hulu has ABC, CBS, FOX and PS Vue had CBS.

marshw011
AG
Is the type of device the determining factor on whether you get ABC? I have a roku and the locals have just appeared - but no ABC. Everything else is there, though.
threecatcorner
On PS Vue and computer, they have at keast most of the locals, but most of them are listed differently like by the individual station letters (KBTX, etc.) instead of by their national identification (Fox, NBC, etc.). Trying to get some shows set to record was a pain. I got rid of it so can't tell you for sure which
channels they have, but I remember there were several that were there but not completely obvious.
EVA3
AG
Is this something new? I've had KBTX and other local channels on DirecTV for almost fifteen years.
EVA3
AG
Never mind. DirecTV NOW.
AgsWin2011
AG
The only major local that seems to be missing is ABC which I'm not to upset about. If there's a football game on ABC you can usually watch it on Watch ESPN. I guess I'll be sticking with DirecTV Now. $35 a month cant really be beat and I'll just upgrade to the $50 package only during football season.
Gigem314
AG
PSVue just raised its prices, so thinking about trying the 3 mo paid DTVNow for the Apple TV. Especially if they offer more local channels.

Anyone ever have issues with the stream? Sling was horrible about that. PSVue signal has been great, but I wouldn't mind a better interface.
woodometer
AG
DirecTV is raising the price of the Now service by $5.00 even though they agreed not to during the Time Warner merger negatiations.

DirecTV Now Story
AgsWin2011
AG
Gigem314 said:

PSVue just raised its prices, so thinking about trying the 3 mo paid DTVNow for the Apple TV. Especially if they offer more local channels.

Anyone ever have issues with the stream? Sling was horrible about that. PSVue signal has been great, but I wouldn't mind a better interface.

I haven't had any issues with DTV Now with the Apple TV 4K or Roku Ultra. My only complaint right now is there's no "jump" button to go back and forth between the previous channel and the fact that you can pause live tv but can't rewind. Don't know if you can do that on PS Vue or YoutubeTV.
InMyOpinion
Gigem314 said:

I have been using trial versions of YouTubeTV, HuluTV, DirecTV Now and PS Vue the the last week and have had no problems with any of the streaming.
InMyOpinion
InMyOpinion said:

That is awesome. I just opened and confirmed they have CBS, FOX, NBC

They did not have them 2 days ago, as I have been testing YouTubeTV, HuluTV, DirecTV Now and PS Vue trial versions the the last few days.

YouTube TV was the only streaming service to have all 4. DirecTV Now had none. Hulu has ABC, CBS, FOX and PS Vue had CBS.

I was just on Directv Now and the live local networks are gone. Wonder if it was a glitch or part of some new updates. I had to accept some new "terms" when I started the app.
techno-ag
AG
We just use the satellite for local channels and just about all television watching except for the occasional Netflix binge. We just found it more convenient, with no worries of sudden buffering and we can pretty much record whatever we want. It's fairly cheap, too.
InMyOpinion
techno-ag said:

We just use the satellite for local channels and just about all television watching except for the occasional Netflix binge. We just found it more convenient, with no worries of sudden buffering and we can pretty much record whatever we want. It's fairly cheap, too.

By satellite do you mean antenna for over the air locals? If so curious what you use to record to?
techno-ag
AG
InMyOpinion said:

techno-ag said:

By satellite do you mean antenna for over the air locals? If so curious what you use to record to?
I mean the DirecTV satellite dish and DVR.
bobinator
AG
We've tried all of the different services and we really like YouTubeTV the best by far. We haven't tried DirecTV Now since they added the DVR feature, but we don't see any reason to try it right now because of how much we like YouTube TV.
AggieBarstool
techno-ag said:

So how well does that work for ya' during a thunderstorm?

No thanks.
LastHamlet
AG
Does anyone know if it works through a VPN?
bobinator
AG
LastHamlet said:

What do you mean?
LastHamlet
AG
bobinator said:

LastHamlet said:

What do you mean?

Well I live and work overseas so if I want to watch something on WatchEspn I have to go through my VPN so it looks like I am in the states.
bobinator
AG
Gotcha, I'm probably not much help on that front. I don't think it would work for YouTubeTV though. I tried using a VPN to make it look like I was outside of Texas to watch an Astros game on MLBN and it didn't work. (I have DSN workaround on my Roku to watch the Astros at home, but I only had my phone at the time.)
jrhmc
AG
We couldn't do that using my husband's work VPN when we were in London in January. We wanted to watch some shows on Hulu that only are available here and it still picked up that we were out of the country.
techno-ag
AG
AggieBarstool said:

techno-ag said:

So how well does that work for ya' during a thunderstorm?

No thanks.
With the Aggiedome, it's usually not that big a deal.

In all seriousness it takes a really heavy thunderstorm to knock out the signal, and then it's maybe a couple minutes at most. Heck, Suddenlink goes out more often for people we know, even without rain.
LastHamlet
AG
Thanks for the info everyone.
halibut sinclair
tech said:

In all seriousness it takes a really heavy thunderstorm to knock out the signal, and then it's maybe a couple minutes at most. Heck, Suddenlink goes out more often for people we know, even without rain.
Suddenlink never goes out at our house.
techno-ag
AG
halibut sinclair said:

tech said:

Suddenlink never goes out at our house.
Cool. Some folks on here have posted about outages, though.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2959541
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2958686
halibut sinclair
Quote:

Cool. Some folks on here have posted about outages, though.

Cool. Those links are about SL internet. The topic is TV. Thanks for doing the search, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.