CS Utilities - extremely high bills for May and June?

7,654 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BCSMom
rich1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll tell you what - if you accidentally type in your account number wrong more than once while paying on line they will put your account on a cash only basis even if you correct it and pay before the due date. They get really mad if you take 241 one dollar bills, 23 five dollar bills, 700 nickles, 589 dimes and 971 pennies up there to pay your bill.
AggieBarstool
rich1 said:

They get really mad if you take 241 one dollar bills, 23 five dollar bills, 700 nickles, 589 dimes and 971 pennies up there to pay your bill.
Please tell me you have a video of this.
rich1
AG
Maybe next month. I did start the stopwatch on my phone when they started counting. It took just over an hour for three people to count it. They did not let me watch and there was a discrepancy over a few cents. They refused a recount. I have submitted a FOI request for video of them counting since they went off to another room to count it.
momlaw
AG
It might be fun to overpay by a bit next month to see if it is noted.
momlaw
montegobay
Our bill went up $69. I keep it on 75 during the day. We have solar screens and a new a/c unit in April. We keep it on 68 or 69 at night. Level billing is the way to go!! They just take the extra from the surplus.
GoneGirl
AG
rich1 said:

Maybe next month. I did start the stopwatch on my phone when they started counting. It took just over an hour for three people to count it. They did not let me watch and there was a discrepancy over a few cents. They refused a recount. I have submitted a FOI request for video of them counting since they went off to another room to count it.
Well aren't you the cool one wasting three employees time? You probably ***** about them wasting your tax dollars too, don't you.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
91_Aggie
AG
rich1 said:

I'll tell you what - if you accidentally type in your account number wrong more than once while paying on line they will put your account on a cash only basis even if you correct it and pay before the due date. They get really mad if you take 241 one dollar bills, 23 five dollar bills, 700 nickles, 589 dimes and 971 pennies up there to pay your bill.
For this to be effective and cause change that you may want, you need to make sure someone higher up than the "clerks" who take payments know why you are doing what you are doing in terms of protest.

otherwise, you waste time of workers who have no skin in the game, and they just think you are a jerk.

I guess it may feel good for you... but this is the same as yelling at a waitress because your food isn't cooked right, or yelling at customer support person on the phone because you are having a problem with your phone/cable/internet, etc.

Direct your anger and protest at the right people at the companies you are having a problem with. Otherwise you are just being an ass to someone who is just trying to make a living and can't control how the website works.
rich1
AG
You are pretty quick to judge and jump to conclusions based on a limited set of data. I don't think that TexAgs is the proper venue to air out the details of all the events that transpired during my contact with a supervisor prior to reaching my decision to make my payment the way I did.

It's a shame that TexAgs has become a a place to anonymously bash local companies or call out other posters as being a jerk or an ass. I made a conscious effort in my original post to avoid doing that. I was simply trying to bring a little humor to a thread where users have been venting about the increasing costs for utilities.

For the record - the clerk that took my payment was treated with respect, I even apologized beforehand.

By the way - I always return shopping carts to the bin, I tip at Sonic, I hold the door for people, I gave up plastic straws years ago, and my name is engraved on a plaque hanging on the wall in some small west Texas town that says "Citizen of the Year"
91_Aggie
AG
Translation:
"I thought I was being cool and awesome by doing a childish thing to attempt to solve a problem. Now I'm upset and blaming others for calling me out for being childish"

Stucco
Thanks to this thread I learned that my ridge vent is not compatible with my two temperature controlled motorized whirling turbines. Both were installed when I bought the house.

So what do I do? Turn off the turbines and cover the intakes as best as possible?
91_Aggie
AG
Stucco said:

Thanks to this thread I learned that my ridge vent is not compatible with my two temperature controlled motorized whirling turbines. Both were installed when I bought the house.

So what do I do? Turn off the turbines and cover the intakes as best as possible?

I see people in my neighborhood with both ridge vents and the whirlybirds. I had heard they didn't work together. Asked our roofer who was replacing our food for hail damage about that and he said it was a bad idea to have both.
Smokin Chisel
AG
Can anyone elaborate on the problem with ridge vents and whirling turbines? We have both and I didn't realize it was a problem.
InMyOpinion
Fire_Aggie said:

Can anyone elaborate on the problem with ridge vents and whirling turbines? We have both and I didn't realize it was a problem.

I'm not in construction but it was my understanding that you want enough opening wether a turbine, ridge vent or combo of both to allow correct airflow. Some homes don't have enough space for adequate ridge vent therefore a turbine can be used.
lockett93
AG
Powered turbines can suck conditioned air out of your house.
91_Aggie
AG
Fire_Aggie said:

The analog the roofer used was: thin: if you have a straw that is used to suck air out. Now put a hole in that straw and try to suck (no).

aggiepaintrain
AG
got my bill 31 days, thanks.
$965

Stucco
I did some reading on it based on that post. Essentially, the ridge vent is powered by hot air rising, which draws cool air in from the vents on the soffits. The powered vent fans or whirling turbines operate the same way, exhausting hot air to draw cool air in through the soffits. The soffit vents are spaced around the entire exterior, creating airflow throughout the attic.

With both installed, the powered vent fans force air out, but instead of drawing air in the soffits it is drawing air in the nearby ridge vent. This results in the majority of the air remaining stagnant, and can essentially equate to no attic ventilation at all.
saltydog13
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

$965

Do you have a pool or something?
lockett93
AG
Somehow my daily average electric usage went down from 157 to 136 for the period ending July 25th vs last year. Still up from 122 last month.
JP76
aggiepaintrain said:

$965

Perhaps you would be a good candidate for ecozapp

$965 just in electrical ?

You have like 25 tons of hvac running ?
aggiepaintrain
AG
that's total
3700 sq ft
2 story
with pool
FJB
Gary79Ag
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

$965

Damn, check your outdoor outlets to see if a neighbor, or neighbors, is/or plugger in and leaching off of you...that's almost my entire annual electric costs!
BCSMom
36 year old house. 2 year old a/c. 1600 sq feet

College Station bill was $350 last month
JP76
BCSMom said:

36 year old house. 2 year old a/c. 1600 sq feet

College Station bill was $350 last month

$350 in electrical use or total utility bill?

And gas or electric range and water heater ?
happyinBCS
25 year old house 1800 sq feet 4 year old system thermostat at 78, 24/7 elec wh CS elec only 139.00 1077 KWH
saltydog13
AG
17 year old home and heat pump. 1900 square feet. Ac set on 75/74. All electric everything and solar screens on all windows. $172 rural BTU
BCSMom
$350 total. Electric stove. Gas water heater. Keep thermostat at 74
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.