Aggieland
Sponsored By

Garbage/recycling day change

histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I seem to be a big enough nerd to sign up for notifications about my garbage and recycling. Seems everyone's recycling day is changing, and a few garbage/bulk days are changing.

Rates also going up.

https://blog.cstx.gov/2018/06/19/new-sanitation-schedules-and-rates-start-in-july/

Thought some of you might not know this.
Justified
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Our recycling schedule changed, but they still decided to come early while nobody had there recycling bin out.
phatpat21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Different recycling day for us, no big deal
Didn't put our trash out today because I assumed they weren't working and naturally my kids yelled this morning "there's the trash guy!" Soooo gonna have a full bin next week!
Justified
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
I went to the city website last night to verify, and it didn't say whether the trash was going to be postponed today because of the holiday. So I left it out. But the recycling date had changed to Thursday but they collected today.
Side note: what a thing we complain about these days. I guess it could be worse.
phatpat21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Yeah I should have just put it out last night! Oh well, if it gets to full I'll take trash up to our dumpster at work.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
That's what my husband does. Last time our bin barely had the lid open, they refused pickup and left us a warning. They also left me a warning for having my can on the street past 8pm. Seriously, who drives around looking for those violations?
JMac07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
I was shocked recycling came yesterday. Of course we didn't have it out.
JMac07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
Can someone explain this to me?

Quote:

The new schedule will reduce the number of missed collections that frequently occur when residents place their trash and recycling bins too close to each other or another obstruction. When that happens, our drivers can't empty the bins safely or efficiently.

How does this fix people placing their garbage cans too close together by changing your trash day? That makes no sense to me.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
JMac07 said:

Can someone explain this to me?

Quote:

The new schedule will reduce the number of missed collections that frequently occur when residents place their trash and recycling bins too close to each other or another obstruction. When that happens, our drivers can't empty the bins safely or efficiently.

How does this fix people placing their garbage cans too close together by changing your trash day? That makes no sense to me.


Because trash and recycling day were on the same day, now they wont be.

Before, my trash and recycling were on Thursday, now trash is on Thursday and recycling is on Tuesday (? I think...)
JMac07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
histag10 said:

JMac07 said:

Can someone explain this to me?

Quote:

The new schedule will reduce the number of missed collections that frequently occur when residents place their trash and recycling bins too close to each other or another obstruction. When that happens, our drivers can't empty the bins safely or efficiently.

How does this fix people placing their garbage cans too close together by changing your trash day? That makes no sense to me.


Because trash and recycling day were on the same day, now they wont be.

Before, my trash and recycling were on Thursday, now trash is on Thursday and recycling is on Tuesday (? I think...)

OH it helps if I read the sentence properly. I was thinking it meant like residents putting their trash cans too close to each other.
armymom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Now we have bins out on 2 days a week every other week. Just what I want to see.
Kidwrangler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
JMac07 said:

histag10 said:

JMac07 said:

Can someone explain this to me?

Quote:

The new schedule will reduce the number of missed collections that frequently occur when residents place their trash and recycling bins too close to each other or another obstruction. When that happens, our drivers can't empty the bins safely or efficiently.

How does this fix people placing their garbage cans too close together by changing your trash day? That makes no sense to me.


Because trash and recycling day were on the same day, now they wont be.

Before, my trash and recycling were on Thursday, now trash is on Thursday and recycling is on Tuesday (? I think...)

OH it helps if I read the sentence properly. I was thinking it meant like residents putting their trash cans too close to each other.

That's exactly what it means. Instructions were to place the 2 types of bins at least 4 ft. apart. That enabled the "claw" of each truck to lift its bin without knocking the other over. In my heavily student neighborhood, I could easily tell whose trash would stiil be there when they got home. I did notice that in some cases, the driver would get out & reposition a bin so he could get it. But I'm sure they can't do that when an entire block ignores the guidelines.
JMac07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
Kidwrangler said:

JMac07 said:

histag10 said:

JMac07 said:

Can someone explain this to me?

Quote:

The new schedule will reduce the number of missed collections that frequently occur when residents place their trash and recycling bins too close to each other or another obstruction. When that happens, our drivers can't empty the bins safely or efficiently.

How does this fix people placing their garbage cans too close together by changing your trash day? That makes no sense to me.


Because trash and recycling day were on the same day, now they wont be.

Before, my trash and recycling were on Thursday, now trash is on Thursday and recycling is on Tuesday (? I think...)

OH it helps if I read the sentence properly. I was thinking it meant like residents putting their trash cans too close to each other.

That's exactly what it means. Instructions were to place the 2 types of bins at least 4 ft. apart. That enabled the "claw" of each truck to lift its bin without knocking the other over. In my heavily student neighborhood, I could easily tell whose trash would stiil be there when they got home. I did notice that in some cases, the driver would get out & reposition a bin so he could get it. But I'm sure they can't do that when an entire block ignores the guidelines.

I get it now. I meant like neighbors putting them too close together. I completely misread the sentence, I didn't understand how changing the days fixed it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
histag10 said:

That's what my husband does. Last time our bin barely had the lid open, they refused pickup and left us a warning. They also left me a warning for having my can on the street past 8pm. Seriously, who drives around looking for those violations?
Our trash collected through City of College Station is a nazi about this too.

If the lid is slightly open, he wont pick it up. We have a family of 4 , are good about recycling, and even then its hard to limit the can to 2 medium sized trash bags.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

histag10 said:

That's what my husband does. Last time our bin barely had the lid open, they refused pickup and left us a warning. They also left me a warning for having my can on the street past 8pm. Seriously, who drives around looking for those violations?
Our trash collected through City of College Station is a nazi about this too.

If the lid is slightly open, he wont pick it up. We have a family of 4 , are good about recycling, and even then its hard to limit the can to 2 medium sized trash bags.


I don't know how, and I don't know why, but my kid's diapers/pull ups seem to send my bin over the limit each week. The note said he couldn't safely pick it up. *eye roll*
CN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V

Quote:

Our trash collected through City of College Station is a nazi about this too.

If the lid is slightly open, he wont pick it up.
Wow, there's almost always at least one overfilled container on my street (in CS) each week and they're always picked up. I'm not talking about the lid being slightly open, I mean like 1-2 trash bags too many lid at 45 degree angle open. I didn't know they were supposed to be completely closed.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
CN said:


Quote:

Our trash collected through City of College Station is a nazi about this too.

If the lid is slightly open, he wont pick it up.
Wow, there's almost always at least one overfilled container on my street (in CS) each week and they're always picked up. I'm not talking about the lid being slightly open, I mean like 1-2 trash bags too many lid at 45 degree angle open. I didn't know they were supposed to be completely closed.



I wish your garbage man drove the route by my house...

Other things I've received warnings for:

  • having weeds in my garbage can without them being in a bag (cleaned up a flower bed)
  • having grass in my garbage can without it being in a bag (not a ton, just a bit from sweeping)
  • having garbage in my garbage can without it being in a bag
  • putting my garbage can too close to my recycling bin
  • not moving my can off the street by 8pm
  • putting a box of cans in my recycle bin without breaking the box down first
  • stuffing the trash too hard in my can to get it to close after they refused to pick it up because it was roughly 2" open


And with a bin barely full, he manages to dump most of it on my lawn and just leaves it. So that was super fun.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
CN said:


Quote:

Our trash collected through City of College Station is a nazi about this too.

If the lid is slightly open, he wont pick it up.
Wow, there's almost always at least one overfilled container on my street (in CS) each week and they're always picked up. I'm not talking about the lid being slightly open, I mean like 1-2 trash bags too many lid at 45 degree angle open. I didn't know they were supposed to be completely closed.

think it depends on the driver.
RecycleCSTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
I am very sorry to hear about what you've been experiencing! Please send me an email so that I may look into what is occurring.

*Overfilled/Packed Containers - Totally understand the frustration here, because it doesn't seem like it would cause a problem. However, when overfilled the excess bags of garbage can fall out and the equipment/container can be damaged during collection. If this is a regular occurrence, you may want to consider a second garbage container ($11.20/mo.). When packed down, unfortunately the waste can get lodged in the container preventing a complete collection.
*Un-bagged Garbage - Because most garbage is putrescible we ask that you bag it for several reasons. Primarily vector control and container health, un-bagged garbage can make for a very nasty container as well as act as a critter beacon.
*Obstructions - Solid Waste & Recycling operate automated collection vehicles, meaning there isn't a person on foot handling your container. A hydraulic arm grabs the container and tips it into the hopper and sets it back on the curb. If the garbage container is too close to either a recycling container or a second garbage container, it will knock it over and spill material. If it's placed too close to a mailbox, vehicle or misc. permanent structure the driver is instructed to tag rather than collect to avoid causing damage.
*Container Ordinance - Please remove all containers from the curb within 12 hours of collection.
*CB Boxes - When not broken down, they tend to get stuck in the recycle bin. This prevents the complete emptying of your container.

If debris is left on your lawn or roadway after collection, please let us know as soon as it occurs so that we may address it.

Heather Woolwine
Recycling & Environmental Compliance Manager
979-764-6229 / hwoolwine @ cstx.gov
AGnCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
When should we expect the MyWaste app to be updated with the new schedule?
theycallmemrtibbs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Shout-out to College Station Sanitation Dept. I think you guys are awesome! Ignore the haterz who have trouble following basic instructions and get upset when someone calls them out on it.
curry97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
My app already shows the updated schedule
JMac07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
We seriously have an app for garbage collection?
TLIAC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
AGnCS said:

When should we expect the MyWaste app to be updated with the new schedule?
I had to go in and update the app with my address again. If ya'll have issues, let Heather know. I will vouch for her 100%. She does care about the service we receive and she goes above and beyond in doing her job.
TLIAC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
JMac07 said:

We seriously have an app for garbage collection?
We do and it is pretty helpful. It's called My Waste.
AGnCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I had to uninstall the app and then reinstall and I got the new schedule
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
JMac07 said:

We seriously have an app for garbage collection?
Yes, and again, Im that person who signs up to receive notifications about my waste.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.