Getting Rid Of Suddenlink

3,827 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Original AG 76
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I need some recommendations on what service to use for tv. One of the problems that I think that I might run into is I want to be able to watch 13(KTRK) out of Houston. I want to get rid of Suddenlink for cable but I know I need to keep the internet. Also, I would like to keep my home phone number.
jrhmc
AG
I know some people have been able to sign up with DirecTV and put their service address in Houston to get the Houston channels. As far as phone number, the cheaper ip phone right now is 1-VoIP. https://www.1-voip.com/ They will transfer your number for you but you have to take the equipment back to Suddenlink. BTW, Suddenlink is the worst ip phone service I've ever had. Vonage is also good but more expensive than 1-VoIP.
We moved landline to Ooma online phone and are happy. Cost was about $100 to purchase one-time equipment and then the monthly cost is about $7/month with taxes. No cost for phone calls. https://www.ooma.com/voip/link-ooma-home-phone-services/
jrhmc
AG
The 1-VoIP line didn't cost us anything at startup but it is $13/month with taxes and fees.
oldag76
AG
Who will you use for internet?
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PXChg.gif[/IMG]
momtaxi
We only have phone and internet through SL and never have had any problems
bobinator
AG
Why specifically that channel out of Houston?

We have YouTube TV and love it, but the local channels are either our locals (KAGS and KBTX) or they're out of Waco.
InMyOpinion
tb9665 said:

I need some recommendations on what service to use for tv. One of the problems that I think that I might run into is I want to be able to watch 13(KTRK) out of Houston. I want to get rid of Suddenlink for cable but I know I need to keep the internet. Also, I would like to keep my home phone number.

In the process of cutting cable but I have no other reliable option for Internet.

I did trials of PS Vue, HuluTV, DirectNow and YouTube TV. I don't recall any of those that have locals getting that specific station out of Houston - all channels if not BCS were from Waco/Temple market.

bobinator
AG
You could probably set up a VPN or DNS or something to make YouTubeTV think you're in Houston (we have a similar work around for MLBTV so we can watch the Astros), but again why would you want to?
phatpat21
Have had YouTube TV for a couple months after getting rid of Suddenlink Cable and absolutely love it. $42 a month. The only channels we miss are Discovery Channel and Food Network. It has basically everything else plus it includes local channels. Video Quality is FAR superior to Sling. It's night and day.
tb9665
The reason why I like 13 news is for Travis Herzog and also of any tropical storms or hurricanes are coming they provide excellent updates.
jrhmc
AG
tb9665 said:

The reason why I like 13 news is for Travis Herzog and also of any tropical storms or hurricanes are coming they provide excellent updates.
I just log onto their site when weather is coming and get my updates that way. They actually have better coverage on their site than live on air sometimes. You can also watch the news that way. Most newer televisions allow you to go to a website or you can use a Roku, Firestick, or Playstation 4 hooked up to your tv to go to their page.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I don't want to come off as smug, but it amazes me how much some here worry about tropical/hurricane weather. I spent 55 years on the coast, went through the eye of 6 hurricanes. Every time I felt the need to evacuate, this would have been my choice, but it was not allowed under the traffic flow that was in place.

I worry more about tornados here than I ever had to.

jrhmc
AG
MosesHallRAB83 said:

I don't want to come off as smug, but it amazes me how much some here worry about tropical/hurricane weather. I spent 55 years on the coast, went through the eye of 6 hurricanes. Every time I felt the need to evacuate, this would have been my choice, but it was not allowed under the traffic flow that was in place.

I worry more about tornados here than I ever had to.

I agree about the tornados. I just have a fascination with hurricanes and tropical storms and like to watch them come in. I've lived at the edge of hurricane areas most of my life but they don't really scare me. They're just really interesting to watch.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
They are amazing, no doubt. Experiencing the eye is something you will never forget.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Has there been any interest in getting a municipality controlled ISP here?
The Original AG 76
AG
Nealthedestroyer said:

Has there been any interest in getting a municipality controlled ISP here?

A MUNICIPALITY co trolled ISP.. in College Station!!!!!!!! Are you outa your cotton pickin mind ?
The same clown show running this city running an ISP!!!
Let's see.........
27 month long permitting process for your hook up.
Must use a CoCS approved modem.
Computer inspections prior to install
Rate hikes hourly
Lightning slow primitive service
Content regulated by City Council
The same idiots that can't fix a road, pick up garbage, supply electricity at anywhere close to market rates......... have at it....
bobinator
AG
Yeah, for one I think the folks at KBTX do a great job, especially in severe weather situations, but that's also the only time I ever watch the weather live. Between twitter and the various weather apps I hardly ever watch the weather live. Certainly not enough to have it determine my cable package, but to each their own.
The Original AG 76
AG
tb9665 said:

Watching 13 during Harvey was riveting. It's all I had on for damn near 4 days and it was possibly the best local tv coverage of a news event ever.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.