Suddenlink rise in price

11,567 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fannie Luddite
BrazosWifi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nwspmp said:

BrazosWifi said:

nwspmp said:

Maybe a new player in the near future? BTU

I am hopeful the course forward with COCS and COB is that they lessen the regulatory hurdles to deploying broadband instead of creating a municipal monopoly that isn't commercially viable.
Well, if I recall correctly, currently the law in Texas directly prohibits a municipal utility from directly owning an ISP and offering services directly. They'd have to partner with an ISP, and essentially be the financial backing/labor backing were they to do so.

Do you think that the cost prohibitions in deploying in-city are more regulatory redtape sourced or the actual cost of putting the wireline/hardware in?
Unless State law has changed, you are correct. Although there are loopholes. The Utility can own the fiber and lease it to a wholly owned subsidiary that acts as the ISP.

In my experience, red tape makes the playing field unpredictable. If we KNEW that the costs would be $X per pole, we could plan for that and proceed. But as it is now, we have to do all the engineering upfront, pole surveys, and paperwork before BTU decides that we need to replace dozens of poles driving the costs beyond reasonable.

When cities rolled out the red carpet for Google Fiber, they said: "Bring fiber, we will remove the barriers". If the cities did that here, you bet there would be competition.

Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
pacecar02
BrazosWifi said:

nwspmp said:

BrazosWifi said:

nwspmp said:

Maybe a new player in the near future? BTU

I am hopeful the course forward with COCS and COB is that they lessen the regulatory hurdles to deploying broadband instead of creating a municipal monopoly that isn't commercially viable.
Well, if I recall correctly, currently the law in Texas directly prohibits a municipal utility from directly owning an ISP and offering services directly. They'd have to partner with an ISP, and essentially be the financial backing/labor backing were they to do so.

Do you think that the cost prohibitions in deploying in-city are more regulatory redtape sourced or the actual cost of putting the wireline/hardware in?
Unless State law has changed, you are correct. Although there are loopholes. The Utility can own the fiber and lease it to a wholly owned subsidiary that acts as the ISP.

In my experience, red tape makes the playing field unpredictable. If we KNEW that the costs would be $X per pole, we could plan for that and proceed. But as it is now, we have to do all the engineering upfront, pole surveys, and paperwork before BTU decides that we need to replace dozens of poles driving the costs beyond reasonable.

When cities rolled out the red carpet for Google Fiber, they said: "Bring fiber, we will remove the barriers". If the cities did that here, you bet there would be competition.

BTU could still do a lot to lay fiber/counduit in conjunction with road projects, i know new fiber was laid when south college was redone but it wasn't BTU.

The last mile is those most expensive but if the backhaul or option for backhaul is present it makes it easier on everyone.
nwspmp

Well, looks like they were thinking a different thing. Investigating direct provision of cable tv and fiber internet services.

This I'm not so sure of. While a good alternative would be nice, I just don't know if this alternative is right.
cavscout96
AG
Brazos-

do you have any plans to cover the east side of Washington County? If no, do you have a recommendation?
BrazosWifi
Shoot me an email with your address and I can offer some suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
BrazosWifi
Double post
Partyof4
AG
The Suddenlink effect....

- charged a service fee for a technician that never came out
- took many phone calls to get them to drop the $60 service fee for the technician that never came out
- if I drop my cable service, my internet bill will be more than my cable+internet service combined
- paying for high speed for years but the equipment they gave me could not support high speed according to the technician that actually did come to my house
- hours on hold waiting for customer service agents that are reading from a script

and on and on...

So I reached out to Brazos Wifi. They do not currently service my area but I did fill out their survey to show them that there is demand in this area for fiber networks

http://ineedbetterinternet.com
UmustBKidding
<RANT>
I have said it multiple times, this is a perfect HOA activity. Have them build as part of the subdivision build out, fiber duct/drop infrastructure to a head end/colo facility. Pick one, HFC, PON it won't matter much. Part of your dues is a maintenance contract to provide repairs. Since the last mile is the expensive part you would likely have multiple providers that are willing provide service to a single point and gain access to hundreds if not thousands of customers.
To me having access to robust fiber access and the potential of redundant or at least some competition for services is more valuable than a community pool or gestapo to enforce parking, paint color, fencing or yard maintenance.
I may be FOS but I suspect if a place like castle gate had this or new subdivisions did this and rented drops and leased space on a tower or provided for fiber entrance facilities at reasonable cost, people like Jim at Brazos would sign up immediately. And by the HOA providing this on RAND basis would allow choice rather than the provider contractually locking up an area to single provider.
</RANT>
Fannie Luddite
AG
Cities in Maine have started to provide broadband services. Due to recent legislation, it is easier for them to access poles to build out the infrastructure.

https://www.govtech.com/network/Maine-Towns-Put-Up-Cash-for-Better-Internet-Service.html
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.