Suddenlink rise in price

11,516 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fannie Luddite
sunflower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just received Suddenlink bill, went up $17 per month. Anybody else? Impossible to get them on phone, all automated. Help!
techno-ag
AG
Use Suddenlink for internet, but satellite or an over the air antenna for TV.
halibut sinclair
RG20
**** Suddenlink! We just use hotspot on our phones for internet.
Goose83
AG
Cut the cable.
Average Joe
AG
Mine went up $14/month. I have the grandfathered 200/20 with unlimited and paying almost double what a new customer with the 400/40 package does. I called and got it dropped down $30, but that's still $20 more than new costumers with twice the speed.
BrandoC
AG
Suddenlink is trash. I have it but should be a crime no other other companies should be allowed in town.
MisterShipWreck
Average Joe said:

Mine went up $14/month. I have the grandfathered 200/20 with unlimited and paying almost double what a new customer with the 400/40 package does. I called and got it dropped down $30, but that's still $20 more than new costumers with twice the speed.
Can you cancel and get it back 1 month later, at the lower price?
AgsWin2011
AG
We recently just cut the cord but are keeping the internet for streaming services. For just the 200mb speed and unlimited data, we are paying a little over $90 a month with all taxes and fees. I think it's a little ridiculous but we were paying $180 a month for cable and internet. Going with YouTube TV for $40 a month and still get all the locals and sports programming to catch all the games. Will save $50 a month but our one year deal was about to go up another $40-50 so we will be saving roughly $100 a month.

Wish we had Uverse internet or Google fiber offered here. You can get Verizon but it's way slower and more expensive. Too bad they don't offer Fios high speed.
JP76
You have to wait 31 days to qualify for new subscriber rate
AggiePirate
AG
It happened for internet plans too. They dont care if you cancel.
Dark Helmet
Suddenlink is the devil made flesh and if I posted what I wished would happen to everyone working for them, especially their phone support department, the police would come give me a visit.

Lucky I'm moving and fiber is coming to the new neighborhood soon after I move in. It costs the same as I'm paying Suddenlink now and their sales department has treated me like I'm a fellow human being (by that I mean they called me back. Suddenlink has said at least a half dozen times that they will call me back later in the afternoon or on Saturday but never have). I can't get any slower speeds than I'm getting now without going back to dialup, so if I move from the 5mb/s I get now to....anything higher than that....I'm cool with it. I pay for high speed internet and don't get it. I'm debating calling a lawyer and just telling them they can keep whatever they can get from Suddenlink plus what I pay them. That's how much I want to inflict any amount of pain or annoyance on the horrible people with Suddenlink.

Three months trying to get them to fix it and nothing. Funny thing is that they know what the issue is, but just refuse to come fix it. I've called every weekday for two months and I can't get anywhere. They have a monopoly in College Station and just don't give a damn.

If anyone knows of websites or places that I can give more details about working with Suddenlink and how they are basically evil, let me know! All the Suddenlink "hate" (truth) sites seem defunct. I think Suddenlink even bought some of them, like Wal-Mart did.
AgFan131
Why is there a monopoly?
Post removed:
by user
BrandoC
AG
So what it the whole deal? Is Suddenlink somehow contracted out for life in Brazos County? Will there ever be a chance where other companies could come in? I don't understand the whole ordeal or have I ever heard of anything like one company being able to provide the only business in an area.
JP76
If your willing to pay to put all the infrastructure in place I'm sure BCS would love to have you step up. My memory is vague but I do remember in the 80's there were 2 or 3 cable companies operating then McCaw ? And one I think Don Adam operated ? I think TCA bought the other ones out in the late 80's ? Then Cox bought TCA out. Then Suddenlink bought Cox out. Then Altice bought Suddenlink out. Maybe some of the old timers can remember the details better than me.
Stucco
As I remember it, the City Council renews a franchise agreement giving Suddenlink exclusivity to the Coaxial network in town every 10 years. I'm not sure what the city gets out of it. I believe the last time was a few years ago, maybe 2015.

Googling seems to indicate this is not controlled by the city. Maybe someone else knows how it actually works.
I'm curious to know what happened to WireStar and their city agreement for FTTP.

momtaxi
The city doesn't own the lines that suddenlink uses. They only own the poles and lease them out to suddenlink to put their lines on.
histag10
AG
I've been on hold for over 15 minutes waiting to speak to a supervisor. I keep getting a service error, and the solution is to charge me $60 to have someone come out to see what is wrong, and then potentially charge me more. She also says it's their policy to check in on hold every 30 seconds. Do they know how annoying that is? She also keeps calling me Kathy (that's not my name, nor the name of any person on our account)

Of course, this happens roughly every 3 months, and is always something on their end. Basically, I can't watch anything on demand, which is fun when you pay for premium movie channels, and it cuts your movie off in the middle of it.
CN
Mine just went up $20 this month. Called Suddenlink, we did our annual song and dance where they "repackage" my bundle, and they knocked $20 back off. It's a Christmas tradition. \_()_/
JayHowdy!
Winners don't quit......unless it's cable!
95_Aggie
AG
It's kind of hard to quit when there are no alternative choices for decent broadband internet.
Eliminatus
AG
I am just here to join the "**** them" dogpile.

JP76
Anyone have any insight about the fiber that is being run in the Oaks in Bryan?

Is it suddenlink ?
BrazosWifi
;-)
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
texasaggie04
AG
My bill just went up too, haven't had the chance to call yet. I don't hate that prices go up, that happens. The thing that gets me is the lack of notice... It just shows up on the bill. How about an email that explains why prices are increasing and what it means for me as a consumer? When it just appears on the bill without warning, it feels disingenuous.
aggiepaintrain
AG
No other company wants around 100k customers???

Makes no sense
nwspmp
aggiepaintrain said:

Makes no sense
Makes perfect sense actually. Deployment of any kind of broadband network system is an incredibly complex and incredibly expensive endeavor. Suddenlink, by way of corporate buyouts over the years inherited a fairly robust network infrastructure in the area for pennies on the dollar for what it would cost to replace or rebuild, and the investment costs in developing that network were written down by other companies years ago.

Look at the roadblocks that even larger entities like Google face in deploying their own networks. Virtually unlimited capital, and with the cost of deploying fiber, getting right-of-way agreements and fighting lawsuits (some with merit, and some simply designed to slow competitors down) and they still have a tiny tiny network footprint.

AT&T and Verizon couldn't even do a decent high-speed FTTH network with FIOS or U-Verse (which in some areas was a renamed DSL solution)

Look at municipal utilities that have tried to deploy networks, where the labor for installation and right-of-way problems are inherently less, and they still have to contend with lawsuits from entrenched providers who often didn't deliver services at a level that satisfied consumers but was all that was available.

To be perfectly honest, anyone getting into someone else's wire-line service area is next to impossible. All that incumbent provider has to do is drop price temporarily or increase speeds/reliability marginally, and the available market of people dries up making any new network financially untenable, and then once that threat is gone, the prices go back up. Until you get to the metropolis size cities, there simply aren't enough people who'd hold out or pay more for the service to justify deploying a second network.

Even in the heady days of tons of different varieties of CLEC provided DSL, the final loop was always a single ILEC who would provide the final physical copper loop over existing infrastructure. And that was with dot-com money flowing like the beer at a Dodgers game.

Wireless ISPs have a LOT less of the last mile infrastructure to setup and even still the margins in that field are typically very slim for a reliable and good service.

As much as I personally would love an alternative to Suddenlink, a new connection coming into the house isn't very likely, simply because there isn't a financial case for it.

CenturyLink released some figures and that deploying using existing aerial plant, and using new microtrenching along streets, initial deployment of GPON fiber runs about 600-800 per house or apartment. That's for an existing provider in an area that already had agreements for pole access, pole upgrades in some cases, and right of ways and franchise agreements. And backbone infrastructure in an area is already in place.

Adding in a new network with supporting infrastructure and plant, and you're likely looking at about $1k/drop for hardware and installation alone. Now, add in the CPE (the modem or whatever is needed for the network) and that's another $400-500 including truck roll for installation.

An recent example of a city-size FTTH deployment project estimate came in with this:

City size: 63,000 (approx)
Take rate on FTTH deployment: 35%, or 22,100 customers
Cost (initial): $52,000,000
Initial cost per subscriber: $2,352 (hardware and network deployment)
Ongoing costs of maintenance, bandwidth, etc aren't included in that.

Looking at the financials of Verizon's FIOS, their profit margin on services in the wireline division (of which about 70% was FIOS) was 22% but that was before servicing the debt on the network buildout, after which, the overall profit margin was around 5%. Even if you're generous and say that they profited $15/month on the FIOS system after all ongoing maintenance and operations costs, you're still 13 years away from paying off the network buildout and starting to turn a profit. Of course a higher take rate or higher monthly service cost and that number can come down.

As much as it would be nice, 100K in a service area isn't close to worth the cost of deploying a net wire-line network.
DanHo2010
AG
I've said this before on other threads, but I think it's worth repeating. If you think Suddenlink is bad, that indicates to me you've likely never dealt with other ISPs in this state. Suddenlink has their issues, sure. But compared to Windstream, CenturyLink, Verizon, Frontier, etc, they're the model of performance and service for a decent price. I have to maintain 15 office locations scattered across the state and the ones that have Suddenlink service have BY FAR the fewest issues and downtime. You may think you want another provider in the area, but odds are, whoever comes in will be worse.
BrazosWifi
nwspmp said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Makes no sense
Makes perfect sense actually. Deployment of any kind of broadband network system is an incredibly complex and incredibly expensive endeavor. Suddenlink, by way of corporate buyouts over the years inherited a fairly robust network infrastructure in the area for pennies on the dollar for what it would cost to replace or rebuild, and the investment costs in developing that network were written down by other companies years ago.

Look at the roadblocks that even larger entities like Google face in deploying their own networks. Virtually unlimited capital, and with the cost of deploying fiber, getting right-of-way agreements and fighting lawsuits (some with merit, and some simply designed to slow competitors down) and they still have a tiny tiny network footprint.

AT&T and Verizon couldn't even do a decent high-speed FTTH network with FIOS or U-Verse (which in some areas was a renamed DSL solution)

Look at municipal utilities that have tried to deploy networks, where the labor for installation and right-of-way problems are inherently less, and they still have to contend with lawsuits from entrenched providers who often didn't deliver services at a level that satisfied consumers but was all that was available.

To be perfectly honest, anyone getting into someone else's wire-line service area is next to impossible. All that incumbent provider has to do is drop price temporarily or increase speeds/reliability marginally, and the available market of people dries up making any new network financially untenable, and then once that threat is gone, the prices go back up. Until you get to the metropolis size cities, there simply aren't enough people who'd hold out or pay more for the service to justify deploying a second network.

Even in the heady days of tons of different varieties of CLEC provided DSL, the final loop was always a single ILEC who would provide the final physical copper loop over existing infrastructure. And that was with dot-com money flowing like the beer at a Dodgers game.

Wireless ISPs have a LOT less of the last mile infrastructure to setup and even still the margins in that field are typically very slim for a reliable and good service.

As much as I personally would love an alternative to Suddenlink, a new connection coming into the house isn't very likely, simply because there isn't a financial case for it.

CenturyLink released some figures and that deploying using existing aerial plant, and using new microtrenching along streets, initial deployment of GPON fiber runs about 600-800 per house or apartment. That's for an existing provider in an area that already had agreements for pole access, pole upgrades in some cases, and right of ways and franchise agreements. And backbone infrastructure in an area is already in place.

Adding in a new network with supporting infrastructure and plant, and you're likely looking at about $1k/drop for hardware and installation alone. Now, add in the CPE (the modem or whatever is needed for the network) and that's another $400-500 including truck roll for installation.

An recent example of a city-size FTTH deployment project estimate came in with this:

City size: 63,000 (approx)
Take rate on FTTH deployment: 35%, or 22,100 customers
Cost (initial): $52,000,000
Initial cost per subscriber: $2,352 (hardware and network deployment)
Ongoing costs of maintenance, bandwidth, etc aren't included in that.

Looking at the financials of Verizon's FIOS, their profit margin on services in the wireline division (of which about 70% was FIOS) was 22% but that was before servicing the debt on the network buildout, after which, the overall profit margin was around 5%. Even if you're generous and say that they profited $15/month on the FIOS system after all ongoing maintenance and operations costs, you're still 13 years away from paying off the network buildout and starting to turn a profit. Of course a higher take rate or higher monthly service cost and that number can come down.

As much as it would be nice, 100K in a service area isn't close to worth the cost of deploying a net wire-line network.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

We are doing FTTH in new subdivisions and our costs are inline with those listed above. Poor take rates and high deployment costs keep most new wireline providers out of existing footprints.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
nwspmp
Maybe a new player in the near future? BTU

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/14/bryan-city-council-to-consider-changes-to-city-charter/

Pricing examples from an electric coop in the Abilene area.

https://taylorelectric.com/access-fiber/

A muni with pole access, expertise in fiber, and crews already available would be the only way I'd see any movement on this here. BTU has pole access, crews available who can do the physical hanging of the fiber and much of that work and has some fiber expertise within the city.

Here's hoping this is what they want to look at!
pacecar02
yeah, there's a reason phone companies were given a monopoly years ago

But that's not the only way, a municipality could certainly front load the cost of infrastructure and easement with the communities support.
BrazosWifi
nwspmp said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but most Municipal Broadband projects are giant budget sinkholes that never achieve profitability. Sure all the contractors and consultants get rich but the taxpayers take it on the chin.

Provo, UT - $34 million dollar loss and then the network was sold to Google for $1.
Lake County, MN - $25 million in debt on their municipal broadband project.
Lafayette, LA - $180 million in debt and not making progress on debt.

I am hopeful the course forward with COCS and COB is that they lessen the regulatory hurdles to deploying broadband instead of creating a municipal monopoly that isn't commercially viable.
nwspmp
BrazosWifi said:

nwspmp said:

I am hopeful the course forward with COCS and COB is that they lessen the regulatory hurdles to deploying broadband instead of creating a municipal monopoly that isn't commercially viable.
Well, if I recall correctly, currently the law in Texas directly prohibits a municipal utility from directly owning an ISP and offering services directly. They'd have to partner with an ISP, and essentially be the financial backing/labor backing were they to do so.

Do you think that the cost prohibitions in deploying in-city are more regulatory redtape sourced or the actual cost of putting the wireline/hardware in? I ask as I would think that the largest cost barriers would be the installation of gear and line rather than the regulatory process of line attachment agreements, and purely regulatory overhead. I could and honestly would love to be 100% wrong on that, as then the BTU structure being talked about should be more in that vein of assistance, streamlining and investment in partnership with an ISP who wants to deploy in the area.
Justin2010
AG
The Cell phone companies are the future of home internet, it seems to me. 5G is going to bring serious pressure to cable companies like Suddenlink.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/13/5g-impact-on-broadband/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.