Tomatoes for Canning

1,739 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BlueMiles
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a heads up to anyone looking for quality tomatoes for putting up. Mr. Amos out of Hearne should have an abundance of large slicers as well as SuperSauce tomatoes for the next couple of weeks. He has a stand east of Hearne on CR 391 or Black Jack Road. About 3 miles east of the McDonalds right before it tees into FM2549. There are flags up on the left, north, that you can't miss.
If you aren't familiar with SuperSauce, it is a gigantoid roma that is mostly meat and weigh close to a pound apiece. I had a couple which went 1 1/4 last week. His prices are a buck a pound and they are fresh picked on site.
No connection to him, just trying to support a hard working local farmer. The farmers' market in Bryan had no slicers this last week. Just FYI.
Build It
AG
Thank you! Stopped by today and loaded up. Amos sliced a super sauce for us. Plan on stopping by again next weekend. He's a interesting man and very knowledgeable farmer. Enjoyed visiting with him.
oklaunion
We canned 19 quarts of SuperSauce tomatoes with 55# of fresh tomatoes. There is a lot less liquid in a finished quart than conventional tomatoes. But the left over liquid in the hot pot, together with a little salt and refrigeration makes an amazing tomato juice the next morning.
Tailgate88
AG
oklaunion said:

We canned 19 quarts of SuperSauce tomatoes with 55# of fresh tomatoes. There is a lot less liquid in a finished quart than conventional tomatoes. But the left over liquid in the hot pot, together with a little salt and refrigeration makes an amazing tomato juice the next morning.

Do you mind sharing your canning "recipe"?

Ib takeittothefoodboard
oklaunion
I stick straight by the Ball Book of Preserving directions for Crushed Tomatoes.

Heat enough peeled tomatoes in a large pot to fill 7 quarts and bring to boil for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp citric acid to each 1 quart jar and ladle hot tomatoes to within a 1/2" headspace. Add tops to each jar and put in boiling hot water bath for 45 minutes.

It is time consuming, especially if you blanch and peel first.
oklaunion
Just a heads up, Mr Amos has begun his tomato harvest and has many slicers as well as cherry and mid range sizes. Later harvest than normal this year.
BlueMiles
AG
Thank you for the update. While I have a small garden of my own this year, I bought some from him last year and have been wondering if he was open for sale this year. I'll stop by when I'm in that neighborhood.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.