Gr*******s

6,143 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dubi
NurseC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On Thursday afternoon the kids and I pulled into my cul de sac and saw a worker removing a significant portion of my front yard, adjacent to my driveway. At the same time my next door neighbor was also arriving home....and it was discovered that the company he hired to widen his driveway had started the job at the wrong house.
The worker had easily been removing grass and soil for an hour and getting things prepared to pour cement. When the error was discovered he used his equipment to then replace all of the displaced grass and dirt. In doing all of this he ripped out several sprinkler heads, as well.

My neighbor has been in contact with the company and asked that the owner now purchase sod to fix my front yard, as it looks pretty beat up and terrible...but apparently he's meeting some resistance. He has been beyond apologetic to me and kept me up to date with his communication with the company, and sent photos of my yard to the company's owner.

At what point should I step in? If at all. Is asking for sod the right thing to do?
Should I leave this company a bad Yelp review Even though I didn't hire them for any work? Would appreciate any input!

TIA.
australopithecus robustus
Call the company directly. Be civil and direct. If they don't comply, tell them you will be left with no choice but to call the police to report vandalism of your property.
Stupe
S
Yes, you do have other choices if that doesn't work if and you actually want your lawn fixed.

Find out the cost and procedure for small claims court and then decide if you can proceed on your own or if you need a civil attorney.

Calling the police and having criminal charges filed is another way to go if you really want this to drag out forever.
The Original AG 76
AG
Stupe said:

Yes, you do have other choices if that doesn't work if and you actually want your lawn fixed.

Find out the cost and procedure for small claims court and then decide if you can proceed on your own or if you need a civil attorney.

Calling the police and having criminal charges filed is another way to go if you really want this to drag out forever.

You don't have to file charges yet but I would get a police report on file while the damage is fresh.
BrazosDog02
AG
Agree with above. The EASIEST AND BEST (CHEAPEST) WAY to resolve this is to be super nice and super civil. I know you are pissed but these things DO happen. It's an error and the company will make it right. You also have to be reasonable with what you want. It's your yard, step in when you feel like you need to. The only thing they owe you is to return the yard to a state in which it will grow and be the same as before. Nothing more.
CS78
The cops will tell you it's a civil issue. Contact the contractor via email asking them to have the lawn leveled and resoded. If they drag their feet have an attorney send a demand letter or do one yourself. If they don't fix it, hire an attorney and file a small claims suit. You'll win and get a judgement to cover the cost of repairs plus attorneys fees. You may be forced to have the attorney follow up with collections after the judgement.

Who is the contractor by the way?
Pro Sandy
AG
Had this happen to me last week, except it was the gutter cleaner. Cleaned my gutters and left. Was talking to the neighbor, they were supposed to have done their gutters instead.

Much better problem then having them destroy my yard.
NurseC
AG
I just want to make sure I handle correctly. Trying not to act like a crazy woman about anything.
Thank you for your replies, my attorney has the pics and video I took and we will see if the owner steps up and either springs for the sod...or heck, comes and finishes the job and widens my driveway!

It was Evolution Concrete

FYI I wasn't going to call the police haha
Stupe
S
Quote:

Trying not to act like a crazy woman about anything.
Then don't call the cops because that's exactly the look you'll get.
InMyOpinion
NurseC said:

my attorney has the pics and video I took

Seems like if I had an attorney to send pics and video to I would just ask their advice instead of a local forum.
NurseC
AG

[Do not post in that manner again on this particular forum. -Staff]
AgGunNut
AG
Absolutely no reason to involve police, and would be a waste of their resources. Their pics or yours, pics are pics to document what was done. It wasn't a crime (there is an intent required for criminal mischief), so don't involve them.

If they want to play hard ball, take them to small-claims court.
CrottyKid
AG
^ actually, it is a crime. Being a misunderstanding doesn't change whether a crime occurred.
AgGunNut
AG
"(a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:

(1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;

(2) he intentionally or knowingly tampers with the tangible property of the owner and causes pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person; or

(3) he intentionally or knowingly makes markings, including inscriptions, slogans, drawings, or paintings, on the tangible property of the owner."

No. It isn't. Being a complete misunderstanding does not equate to a crime. The person did not knowingly damage the property of OP. He thought he was damaging the property of the neighbor (with their consent).

It is an accident, for which the company is negligent.
Stupe
S
Don't you dare throw facts into this.
BCStalk
Texags is way more fun when we can get the torches and pitchforks out. Facts suck.
EMY92
AG
I would also ask for money to cover watering expenses. New sod will take a lot of water, especially in this heat.
CrottyKid
AG
AgGunNut said:

"(a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:

(1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;

(2) he intentionally or knowingly tampers with the tangible property of the owner and causes pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person; or

(3) he intentionally or knowingly makes markings, including inscriptions, slogans, drawings, or paintings, on the tangible property of the owner."

No. It isn't. Being a complete misunderstanding does not equate to a crime. The person did not knowingly damage the property of OP. He thought he was damaging the property of the neighbor (with their consent).

It is an accident, for which the company is negligent.

Did he trespass? Yes.
Did he destroy the man's lawn? Yes.

Being an honest accident doesn't negate the fact that it was literally a crime. The fact that it was relatively minor does not absolve the act from being a crime. Whether it is a crime is not the same as whether it is worthy of criminal prosecution.
AgGunNut
AG
Lol. Strike two. He wasn't trespassing either.

"(a) A person commits an offense if the person enters or remains on or in property of another, including residential land, agricultural land, a recreational vehicle park, a building, or an aircraft or other vehicle, without effective consent and the person:

(1) had notice that the entry was forbidden; or

(2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.

(b) For purposes of this section:

(1) "Entry" means the intrusion of the entire body.

(2) "Notice" means:

(A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;

(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;

(C) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;

(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:

(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;

(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground; and

(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:

(a) 100 feet apart on forest land; or

(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land; or

(E) the visible presence on the property of a crop grown for human consumption that is under cultivation, in the process of being harvested, or marketable if harvested at."

Once again, there is a culpable mental state needed to commit a crime. It wasn't met. For comparison, when you are involved in a car crash, and it is your fault, do you get charged with criminal mischief? You might get a ticket, but it's for the traffic violation, not the crash itself.
NurseC
AG
Wow. This is getting super cereal.

I just hope the owner of Evolution Concrete chooses to make this right. I understand mistakes happen.

Thank you for everyone's input, I will keep you updated!

KC
CrottyKid
AG
You win.
TLIAC
AG
CrottyKid said:

You win.
Good call. I was just about to jump in and tell you that AgGunNut knows his stuff and that he is spot on with his information.
meezermom
This happened to us a couple of years ago. Found a guy ripping out part of our fence and insisting the owner had hired him to install a gate. We are the owners, we kept telling him, you're at the wrong house. He wouldn't leave and kept working, so we called the cops.

Long story short, they won't let you press charges because apparently they just see it as a nuisance and not a crime (being wrong about an address and vandalizing someone else's property doesn't seem to be a crime to CSPD). They will tell you to work it out amongst yourselves. We were lucky and he replaced our fence, but had he not, I'm not sure what we would have done since the cops wouldn't work with us on pressing charges.

I would say call the company directly and work with them. Let them know you understand there was a mistake about the address, but that doesn't mean that you should be on the hook for getting things fixed when it was their mistake that caused the problem.
TLIAC
AG
meezermom said:

Long story short, they won't let you press charges because apparently they just see it as a nuisance and not a crime (being wrong about an address and vandalizing someone else's property doesn't seem to be a crime to CSPD). They will tell you to work it out amongst yourselves. We were lucky and he replaced our fence, but had he not, I'm not sure what we would have done since the cops wouldn't work with us on pressing charges.

I'm sure that they would have documented it as a civil matter but if the guy made a legitimate address error then his intent was not to vandalize your property and thus there was no criminal mischief offense. He thought that he was doing his job. Now why he didn't stop when you asked him to, that's another matter. Was it a worker who thought he would get in trouble for stopping?

You have to realize that officers don't decide whether or not offenses are prosecuted. They follow the law and in both your case and the OP's case, address errors were made and the workers did not intentionally decide to dig a hole in the wrong persons yard or intentionally tear down the wrong fence. Why would they do that intentionally anyway? They won't get paid for doing work on the wrong address.

Many, many times officers are called to take reports that the reporting person thinks is a crime but it is really a civil matter. Just because the person wants the offense to be criminal doesn't make it so.

Note: I realize that the OP said he/she wasn't calling the police so this isn't directed at them. Just wanted to clarify that the officer wasn't being negligent, they were just following the law.
Hammerheadjim
AG
I think the fact that the owner told the fence guy several times he was in the wrong place and asked him to leave and he refused to leave might make it a criminal manner. Agree that a simple mistake would be only a civil matter , but coming home and finding someone in your yard that wont leave is entirely different story.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
DrewDaven
AG
Maybe have them widen your driveway?
TLIAC
AG
Hammerheadjim said:

I think the fact that the owner told the fence guy several times he was in the wrong place and asked him to leave and he refused to leave might make it a criminal manner. Agree that a simple mistake would be only a civil matter , but coming home and finding someone in your yard that wont leave is entirely different story.
That's why I said that part was a different matter. I would need more info to help explain. Was the guy taking down the gate a worker. I know that when I had my fence replaced, the only person on the job that spoke good English was the owner of the company. The workers in my situation spoke little to no English. That may or may not be the case in this situation. Most times an officer will show up and ask the person to leave. If they refuse, then they are normally arrested for criminal trespass. The officer can also issue a criminal trespass warning to the offending person at the request of the person in charge of the property. A lot of information we don't have on the fence incident.
meezermom
I don't want to hijack OP's post, but I will clarify a bit here. We asked him at least five times to stop sawing down our fence and he kept insisting that he was here and had been hired by the owner. We kept explaining that we were the owners and he did NOT want to stop what he was doing. He was an English speaking older man who was doing handyman work out of his truck, so not a real company or any "person in charge" to deal with above him. Of course once the police arrived, he was quite cooperative with them, unlike he had been with us. The entire 15 minutes we waited for them, he kept working at removing our stringers, despite our continued asking that he stop and letting him know the police were coming. I had to go and unplug his saw from the outlet on our front porch. At that point, in my eyes, he was vandalizing our property. Like I said, we were lucky he did end up fixing things because we had nothing in writing that he needed to and no police report to rely on to get him to do the work if he had decided not to show up. I didn't think it was a very satisfactory way to ensure that things got taken care of since we were on the hook had he decided to take off and never come back.
NurseC
AG
Well. I spoke with Carlos, the owner of Evolution Concrete, on Tuesday. He told me he would have a sprinkler guy over to my house on Wed or Thursday, and new sod laid down on Friday.

After no sprinkler guy came by neither Wed not Thurs I text Carlos and said hey just checking the status of things. He said Hey Kelley we will be at your house tomorrow.

Friday came and went. And 1/3rd of my front lawn is now brown and dead, my sprinkler system is still ripped up in places and my other grass is now suffering. I text last night and once again just asked for a status report: zero response.
wendyb
Looks like it is time for your attorney to get involved
momlaw
AG
You might be able to isolate the sprinkler station/s that is/are destroyed and run the rest of your system to care for the rest of your landscaping.

Photo text to Carlos might, maybe, sorta kinda get things rolling.
momlaw
NurseC
AG
I'm on it, thanks!
TLIAC
AG
Could your homeowners insurance company help? I know you probably wouldn't want to file a claim but they might have suggestions on how to light a fire under this guy. I know my auto insurance company helped with a claim process when I wasn't at fault. The other party reacted to them when they had been ignoring me. I wonder if Carlos is required to carry insurance or have a bond to do business?
lost my dog
So I'm not trying to be a troll, but this is Texas, and the castle doctrine is strong. What happens if you get your gun and tell someone to stop ripping up your lawn?
AgGunNut
AG
You'll likely go to jail for Aggravated Assault.

Penal Code 9.42

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.