Protest at Briiarcrest and Hwy 6 Bypass

4,470 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cs1
Cholula Verde
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Any topics pertinent to this area are allowed to be discussed on this board including this protest. Discussions on this board will also remain respectful and will not include a bunch of insults. - Staff]
95_Aggie
AG
Is protesting now against the law?
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Do a little research and see where this "problem" started. It will lead you to Obama and previous administrations, but now I am being told it is all Trump's fault.
Oogway
People protest about a lot of things. In history there have been a lot of protests. Some we learn about in school because they gained traction and momentum and brought about change; others never gained much steam.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Might want to take a look at this.

Don't lose sight over this fact in the article: The report is based on over 30,000 pages of documents dated between 2009 and 2014.
Cholula Verde
AG
Wow! I have no words! Never believed the whole fake news and biased reporting lines many on several of these boards spout off about but now I do!

[We are not biased but we require posters on this board to be respectful when giving their opinions on this particular forum. If a poster can't get through an entire post without being rude, disrespectful, or resorting to name calling we are not going to take the time to remove two or three sentences. We just remove the post. -Staff]
australopithecus robustus
My post wasn't disrespectful in any way whatsoever. I suppose I got caught up in the dust pan with all the other dirt LOL
[It was in response to a removed post and made no sense as a stand alone post. Staff]
Muzzleblast
Read the article this morning.

Open borders crowd that all lock their homes at night.

Just trying to make a political point and coming off as hypocrites.

It's shocking to learn that the current administration is enforcing the law as passed by Congress.
Jinx
Freedom of expression. Whether I agree or not, I am thankful for it.
75AG
AG
Jinx said:

Freedom of expression. Whether I agree or not, I am thankful for it.
Amen!
australopithecus robustus
Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying
Cholula Verde
AG
Me too!
Cholula Verde
AG
Thankfully, protest are a Constitutional right in our country! Hope they are standing on that corner today so I can join them with my own protest sign. It will likely not be consistent with the signs I saw the 20 +/- numbers of folks holding yesterday. Maybe the "more than 100" numbers stated in the Eagle article will be there. Guess the crowd grew after the non-self employed folks got off work. Woopee....never been to a protest! Don't want to mess up.....is there a protocol?
Gigem314
AG
MosesHallRAB83 said:

Do a little research and see where this "problem" started. It will lead you to Obama and previous administrations, but now I am being told it is all Trump's fault.
Yeah, hard to take these seriously when this issue was ignored for many years.

But people have a right to express themselves peacefully. Even if it comes off as political grandstanding.
Oogway
So did you counter protest? How did it go?
Cholula Verde
AG
Sadly I didn't! Kept waiting for the kind folks here to bring me up to speed on the Protest Protocol. I am dreadfully anal and can't abide by messing up these apparently structured processes. Given all the polarizing topics in our news these days I am confident there will be many more protest opportunities!
Oogway
I'm sure there will be. Should anyone desire, peacefully protesting is (as you mentioned) a right as is counter protesting. The ACLU has a guideline and it is available on their website:

Quote:

"Do counter-protestors have free speech rights?

Yes. Although counter-demonstrators should not be allowed to physically disrupt the event they are protesting, they do have the right to be present and to voice their displeasure. Police are permitted to keep two antagonistic groups separated but should allow them to be within the general vicinity of one another.

So no flinging tomatoes, but a vigorous civil expression of dissent is the American way.
Voting is another!
Cholula Verde
AG
Thank you! I always vote. It is our civic duty!
cs1
"Peaceful" protest is a constitutional right. I'm in no way saying the demonstrators in question were not peaceful. The constitutional right to protest does not grant the right to violate orhers' Rights or violate reasonable laws established to maintain peacefulness.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.