It's techno's fault... aggie dome in full swing..

13,734 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by saltydog13
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
just saying...
techno-ag
AG
Ok. I'll take the blame this time. You took it last time.
halibut sinclair
Oogway
I will share the blame. I elected to not wash the car due to the impending rain.
Average Joe
AG
Oogway said:

I will share the blame. I elected to not wash the car due to the impending rain.

I did the same. Although we did get some rain.
waterchick
Mr. egret mowed, weed-eated, AND cleared out the drains on the back patio. And we put the dogs inside before we went out to lunch.

I'm so sorry.
oklaunion
Winkley is in full damage control on the 5pm weather, crawfishing like a mudbug. There was a lot of fertilizer that went out on pastures around here over the last few days, mostly due to his forecast. Hope he can pull it off tomorrow.
halibut sinclair
oklaunion said:

Winkley is in full damage control on the 5pm weather, crawfishing like a mudbug. There was a lot of fertilizer that went out on pastures around here over the last few days, mostly due to his forecast. Hope he can pull it off tomorrow.
Ridiculous. Shel's forecast, as well as Bob's and every other weatherperson's are just variations of the National Weather Service forecast with fancy graphics.
pants
80% is not 100%, so I guess Shel is safe. From what, I don't know. I didn't know weather men controlled the weather!
oklaunion
halibut sinclair said:

oklaunion said:

Ridiculous. Shel's forecast, as well as Bob's and every other weatherperson's are just variations of the National Weather Service forecast with fancy graphics.
Not sure why it is ridiculous. I merely stated what was going on at 5 pm on his weather portion. Did you hear him? Even the sports guy jacked with him and he got that typical deer-in-the-headlights look. The fertilizer statement wasn't ridiculous as it is true. And I do hope it rains tomorrow.
drivinwest
AG
Glorious rain pouring down in Southwood Valley currently.
halibut sinclair
oklaunion said:

halibut sinclair said:

oklaunion said:

Not sure why it is ridiculous. I merely stated what was going on at 5 pm on his weather portion. Did you hear him? Even the sports guy jacked with him and he got that typical deer-in-the-headlights look. The fertilizer statement wasn't ridiculous as it is true. And I do hope it rains tomorrow.
It's ridiculous because Shel Winkley doesn't control the weather. He reports a forecast based on computer models. Your statements were trying to personally blame him for it not raining more today. That's what is ridiculous.
halibut sinclair
merc
AG
Today has been fairly impressive as well. Every other side of BCS getting something.
95_Aggie
AG
The Aggiedome is real
Rapier108
This is why no one believes weather people. They've been saying for a week that starting on Sunday we'd get tons of rain. So far the most we've seen in a quick shower that barely wets the pavement.
TJJackson
If you looked at the radar at 3:45, there was heavy rain south of Navasota heading North. Within an hour it disintegrated. I'm not sure how you can accurately predict that.

I had plans to go for a run this afternoon but scrapped that due to what the radar showed. Now I look like an idiot for doing something else instead because I looked at the radar. I don't get my weather from Shel but I'm constantly looking at radars and forecast discussions. Aggiedome is real as much as I hate it.
The Brazos Kid
When it doesn't rain, they conveniently say "well, we dodged a bullet"...
oklaunion
Someone at KBTX at 10pm had a great sense of humor. Immediately before the weather there was a segment on the wait for fertilizer spreaders at Producer's Coop and the interviewee from Booger County ended it with, " Now that we put it out, all we need is a rain."
Looks like you are SOL, good buddy.
oklaunion
As I type, there is a huge red and yellow cell moving in from the south but it is splitting like one of those amoebas I had to dissect in college. Looks like we are safe once again.
merc
AG
It is almost comical at this point.
The Original AG 76
AG
according to a rain gauge in my hood we have had a total of about .4" total since Friday. Unreal. OF course like others I put out my early summer fertilizer down on Thurs fully expecting it to be well water in. As of now its just pissed off , not watered in.
Oogway
I don't know where everyone lives, but in central CS the clouds are all like, "How do ya like me now?!"

Alte Schule
After being disappointed the last couple days the Raintree area is getting a good soaking this morning.. Has been raining fairly steady for the last couple of hours,
Cholula Verde
AG
Raining under the Kurtain Dome too! Praise be to God.
oklaunion
My catfish pond started this 'rain event' 25" low. It is now only 24.1" low.
wxag07
AG
Hi oklaunion.

I'm just going to set this down here.

Please, feel free to come and try your hand at forecasting a ill-defined, ragged area of low pressure and the rainfall that comes along with it. It may have taken a few days to get there, but the forecast for 1" to 3" of rain was a pretty decent bet. While the Aggiedome (for whatever reason) was a major thing this go around for much of BCS, the rest of our 16 county area cashed in on a healthy drink of water. In fact, South College Station emptied 1" to 2" out of the rain gauge this evening.

Always welcome to email with any concerns you may have about the forecast in the future winkley@kbtx.com.

All the best.

Shel Winkley
Chief Meteorologist
KBTX Media
halibut sinclair
Shel with the smackdown.
Marlin39m
You sound kind of smug for the fellow that I chose to believe for Monday's forecast, leading me to cancel a long planned fishing trip.
carpe vinum
AG
2 3/4 " in my rain gauge today.
What part of W/TF are you living in?
I'll have to fire up the mower
TJJackson
I live near Rudder High School and we've had precipitation everyday this week starting Sunday. Not earth shattering amounts, but enough to mow again this weekend.

So those of you that haven't gotten rain, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Stupe
S
Marlin39m said:

You sound kind of smug for the fellow that I chose to believe for Monday's forecast, leading me to cancel a long planned fishing trip.
I agree with you. That's a smug and unprofessional thing to post on here by someone with the title "Chief Meteorologist".
oklaunion
Since you alluded to it, is the "Aggiedome" a real thing that is taught where you were educated? Seriously, is it a topographically driven phenomenon or an old wives' tale. Is it something that enters into your equations for all forecasts?
And even more seriously, dude, you can't go getting defensive when you are in the business you are in. This is just BCS. When you get a gig in a larger metropolitan area, it will be 10x worse. Your call, whether accurate or not, will affect larger events, larger construction projects, larger everything. Way more than just a cedar chopper and ex-goat roper who put out a couple thousand dollars of urea on his hay meadows and barely got enough to melt it.
I promise to lighten up as long as you promise to not refer to Centerville, Huntsville and Coldspring as being in the Brazos Valley.
techno-ag
AG
wxag07 said:

Hi oklaunion.

I'm just going to set this down here.

Please, feel free to come and try your hand at forecasting a ill-defined, ragged area of low pressure and the rainfall that comes along with it. It may have taken a few days to get there, but the forecast for 1" to 3" of rain was a pretty decent bet. While the Aggiedome (for whatever reason) was a major thing this go around for much of BCS, the rest of our 16 county area cashed in on a healthy drink of water. In fact, South College Station emptied 1" to 2" out of the rain gauge this evening.

Always welcome to email with any concerns you may have about the forecast in the future winkley@kbtx.com.

All the best.

Shel Winkley
Chief Meteorologist
KBTX Media

TJJackson
How do you accurately account and predict for an almost 3 inch difference in rain totals taken less than 30 miles apart? Hell predicting we get rain or won't get rain is hard enough, then trying to forcast amounts of rain is even tougher.

Also how do you account for the doughnut in precipitation when every town in a 360 degree loop got at least an inch, some way more than that, and we get half that?

**** happens when trying to predict weather,but blaming Shel because you didn't get the rain on your patch of land that a lot of other people did get is awfully rich.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.