Best Chicken Fried Steak in BCS?

7,599 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by stinkerbelle
Kitten With A Whip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgDotCom said:

In my opinion if you're under 35-40 years of age, you've never had a truly good CFS. The institutional food services have killed it (and the gravy, too.) Even Threadgill's in Austin isn't what it once was.

The best locally, back in the day were Youngblood's (now Carney's Pub), and Wehrman's in Bryan.

Locally today, IMO Willie's is the most "decent". And as Zone416 said, try the chicken fried medallions at Republic...not a true CFS but very tasty.

The best I've had in the past couple of years were at a Bill Miller's BBQ in both Hondo and Castroville. They don't serve it at their San Antonio locations for some reason. They were excellent, but still not as good as the holes in the wall of yesteryear when you were a high school athlete and the team bus unloaded at these places when you were playing out of town. Every coach in Texas knew where the best CF steaks were.
Spoken like a true OLD MAN!

I will agree that institutional food services have taken over the CFS industry (and the gravy, too!), but I had some of the best CFS growing up at home! I also make a pretty mean CFS and home made cream or pan gravy. I have also had my share of really good CFS's in restaurants, although they are hard to find these days. Don't tell me I have never had a truly good, CFS, GRANDPA!
jmazz
AG
Mels! That place still around? Grew up in Spring and frequented there. Had a buddy try to down that burger...he did not get his picture on the wall.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I've had the chicken fried steak medallions at The Republic and I gotta disagree with them being in the discussion for "best" locally. I wasn't impressed at all actually. In fact, I felt pretty let down with those.
taxpreparer
AG
The old La Baronena had a chiken fried ribeye that was terrific.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Cancelled
AG
I agree. They don't make real gravy..none of them. It's all the water and mix crap. How hard is it to make a big batch of gravy when you open Nd keep feeding it water throughout the day?

IMHO, this is the same thing as all these "seafood" restaurants that serve tilapia.
australopithecus robustus
FYI Pappadeaux serves Tilapia, just sayin...
Kitten With A Whip
Royer's was the only place that served real pan gravy (with bacon grease!) with their CFS and it was pretty damned awesome! I kind of prefer cream gravy, but when its a GOOD pan gravy, count me in. Luckily, for me, they went out of business before I had a chance to pack on too many pounds!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
gigem70 said:

the place in Snook - don't remember the name

Dude!!!!!

Never hearken the door of Sodalaks in Snook or Bryan again.

Thank you
toolshed
AG
Not in BCS per say, but does anyone have an opinion of the CFS at places like Relay Station in Plantersville (I assume it's still open), or Edge General Store? Does the Leona Steakhouse serve CFS? I've only been once, several years ago. I don't think I've been the Edge General Store on CFS night. Never been to the Relay Station.

In college we used to go out to Sommerville to the steakhouse there and get a huge CFS that at the time I thought was pretty good. But it's since closed or changed hands.

UmustBKidding
We never went to sodolacks for cfs you went to czech tex
tmaggies
AG
Kitten With A Whip said:

AgDotCom said:

In my opinion if you're under 35-40 years of age, you've never had a truly good CFS. The institutional food services have killed it (and the gravy, too.) Even Threadgill's in Austin isn't what it once was.

The best locally, back in the day were Youngblood's (now Carney's Pub), and Wehrman's in Bryan.

Locally today, IMO Willie's is the most "decent". And as Zone416 said, try the chicken fried medallions at Republic...not a true CFS but very tasty.

The best I've had in the past couple of years were at a Bill Miller's BBQ in both Hondo and Castroville. They don't serve it at their San Antonio locations for some reason. They were excellent, but still not as good as the holes in the wall of yesteryear when you were a high school athlete and the team bus unloaded at these places when you were playing out of town. Every coach in Texas knew where the best CF steaks were.
Spoken like a true OLD MAN!

I will agree that institutional food services have taken over the CFS industry (and the gravy, too!), but I had some of the best CFS growing up at home! I also make a pretty mean CFS and home made cream or pan gravy. I have also had my share of really good CFS's in restaurants, although they are hard to find these days. Don't tell me I have never had a truly good, CFS, GRANDPA!

Little kitten Ag Dot is correct.......listen to your elders!
eloc62
AgDotCom said:

I remember eating at both Youngblood's and Wehrman's back when i was a kid. They both had great chicken fried steaks. The thing that reminds me most about Youngblood's was the very tall, older guy who used to be at the door and who would seat you. As a kid, he reminded me of "Lurch" from The Adams Family TV show back in the day.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
in the 80's we got CFS at some hole in the wall joint on W University way out nearly to the river.

IIRC all they served was burgers, CFS and fried catfish

Nowadays, Luby's is probably as good as anywhere else in most towns.
ChampsAg
I hear Ronin has an outstanding CFS. Unfortunately they were out when we went. A little pricey but damn good food.
cs69ag
AG
At $24, the Ronin CFS better be good! Must be using a high quality meat rather than a pounded round steak
which is pretty typical.

Re the medallions at Republic, the first time I had it was great...very tasty and high quality!
The second time I tried it, I was a guest of some friends for dinner. My order was not good and very salty.
I was really disappointed. If I had been paying, I would have sent it back to the kitchen.
Carny89
We went there a week ago. Only 3 meat items on the menu. Due to everything they have is raised down the road on a farm. Lamb, pork ribs , cfs. Everything else is was kinda far out for my taste. My cfs was so so. My sons ribs were ok. Wife had cfs too. She wasn't impressed. This place is just different for the normal taste buds. I won't go back cause it's not my style of place. Kinda eccentric. It's a Austin type feely place. If you are a big meat and potatoes type of person, at this price point. Goto republic.
Rex Racer
AG
Not in BCS, but the Freiheit Country Store in New Braunfels has a really good CFS.
TXAG 05
AG
91_Aggie said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

musicforall said:

The wagu chicken fried steak at Ronin is a whole 'nother world. Have it with the watermelon souffle for dessert.

We saw that on their website long ago a pic of that meal. Looked amazing but we went for the large course moon farm dinner.
Using Wagu for Chicken Fried Steak is like buying 20 year old Single Malt and then mixing it with Coke.

It probably isn't true Wagyu beef anyway, at least not A5. It would be $100+ if it was.
eloc62
Rex Racer said:

Not in BCS, but the Freiheit Country Store in New Braunfels has a really good CFS.
We ate there last summer when we were in New Braunfels. Good CFS!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Got over to Willies today for the CFS.

Its good, but not great imho. I'd rank the Cotton Patch one higher.

Wish I could make a living off testing out different CFS around the country
Kitten With A Whip
Well that's disappointing. I was thinking about trying it, but I'll skip it.
eloc62
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Got over to Willies today for the CFS.

Its good, but not great imho. I'd rank the Cotton Patch one higher.

Wish I could make a living off testing out different CFS around the country
Most of us wish we could make a living that way, but then we would all end up weighing 300 lbs.
Wicked Good Ag
I like willies over cotton patch. Except on Mondays
theycallmemrtibbs
The Kenney Store (in Kenney, just south of Brenham) has chicken fried steak bites and a chicken fried ribeye on their menu. I'm not personally a fan of cfs (yeah, I know, take away my Texas citizenship), but everything I've had there has been fantastic. These folks know how to make a good meal!
stinkerbelle
NearAwesomeness said:

I had a surprisingly good CFS at Jose's one day for lunch.
My son actually just told me this a few days ago. He said he had one a few months back and was quite surprised it was as good as it was.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.