Best Chicken Fried Steak in BCS?

7,654 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by stinkerbelle
lck04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a good CFS in BCS. No chains.

SchnauzerMom
In no particular order....

Sodalaks
Feed Barn
Longhorn
armymom
Good luck!
ZoneClubber
AG

Longhorn
Koppe Bridge
Willie's

or the Republic (chicken fried filet medallions)
jja79
AG
Sodolak's.
Longhorn.

Feed Barn uses frozen Sysco meat I'm pretty sure. Had it a few months ago and it wasn't good, but gave it another chance. Same thing.
rsa
AG
+1 for the CFS at Willie's.
musicforall
The wagu chicken fried steak at Ronin is a whole 'nother world. Have it with the watermelon souffle for dessert.
Chris98
AG
Franks Country Store on Tuesdays
Wicked Good Ag
musicforall said:

The wagu chicken fried steak at Ronin is a whole 'nother world. Have it with the watermelon souffle for dessert.

We saw that on their website long ago a pic of that meal. Looked amazing but we went for the large course moon farm dinner.
GlassHalfFull
Willie's
75AG
AG
GlassHalfFull said:

Willie's
Isn't Willies a chain? OP said no chains.
Muzzleblast
Yankees Tavern in Carlos.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I don't know why so many people are over the moon for Feed Barn. It's terrible. It would be one thing if they were original in their, otherwise, plain menu. But they aren't. As was said, if Sysco serves it, they do too. Feed Barn sucks.
Love Gun
LHT definitely gives you a lot of CFS, but I've had better, taste-wise.

Besides that, the service was absolutely garbage. I won't be going back.
lck04
AG
Sadly I expected this response but was hoping for better.

I've tried them everywhere listed except the place in Carlos with no lasting (good) impressions made.

The search shall continue.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Didnt realize Willies has CFS. Need to check that out.

Cotton Patchs is decent.
montegobay
This is going to sound crazy, but Ozona. We really dislike their food, but sometimes go for the patio. It was almost the last thing on the menu we tried. It's pretty darn good.
NearAwesomeness
I had a surprisingly good CFS at Jose's one day for lunch.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Hullaballoo's is actually pretty good
ro828
Sadly, the cfs at Feed Barn is not all that great. It's edible, but nothing to dance and clap your hands about.

Longhorn Tavern is probably the best in the area.
fishngame06
AG
Blackwater Draw on Wednesday had the best before they closed.

We went to Ronin last night and the Wagyu CFS was amazing and the portion size was larger than expected. Very tasty and a great experience!
91_Aggie
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

musicforall said:

We saw that on their website long ago a pic of that meal. Looked amazing but we went for the large course moon farm dinner.
Using Wagu for Chicken Fried Steak is like buying 20 year old Single Malt and then mixing it with Coke.

musicforall
91, exactly what I thought when I saw it on the menu. And it was fantastic.
biobioprof
When we first moved here we joked that there must be a city ordinance requiring CFS on all menus. IIRC, there was even a middle eastern place in Northgate that had CFS. Every monday in the Ag CaFe in my building was CFS day.

Now... hard to find.

I was under the impression that the best CFS used cheap but flavorful cuts pounded into tenderness rather than hipster expensive stuff like Wagyu tenderloin.
Cancelled
AG
91_Aggie said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

musicforall said:

Using Wagu for Chicken Fried Steak is like buying 20 year old Single Malt and then mixing it with Coke.

Well, ever a wagyu cow is going to have good cuts and bad cuts right? Do you just trash the inferior cuts?
MadDog73
AG
Zone416 said:

or the Republic (chicken fried filet medallions)
woodiewood1
The CFS at the Longhorn at the old location on Hwy 21 was really, really good...great location, neat place to go. Used to go there when it was a dance hall in the old days. When they moved to downtown Bryan they began to "tenderize" the heck out of the round steak to about 1/4th inch thick and the CFS ends up large but has little meat and lots of crust and the crush extends about an inch or more beyond the meat....still tastes good but much of it is great flavored flour.

I like Sodalaks and Willies is very good also.
gigem70
AG
Longhorn - they also have excellent pie

the place in Snook - don't remember the name

Cotton Patch - very good lunch size CFS
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Cow Hop circa 1992.
cs69ag
AG
This thread made me hungry for a CFS. Decided to try Willie Ice House. It was large and good...I took half home.
They allowed 5 large onion rings to be one of my two sides, and I enjoyed that too.

I have had a CFS at Longhorn, Sodalaks, and Cotton Patch. All pretty good. I think I like the CFS at Cotton Patch the best, and I like their rolls too. They have a 7.99 special on Monday nights, so that is nice too. I paid 9.99 at Willies...to be fair...on a Sat. night during the rush.
M2Spider
AG
Not in BCS but Goodson's in Tomball is great!
jja79
AG
I worked in Tomball for 3 years 2 blocks from Goodsoon's and never heard it mentioned. Everyone went to Mel's.
Tumble Weed
Since we are including chains ... Saltgrass isn't bad. Probably similar to Willies.

I used to want to eat CFS every meal as a kid. Now I eat it once or twice a year.
MarineBQ04
AG
NearAwesomeness said:

I had a surprisingly good CFS at Jose's one day for lunch.
The are owned by the same family that use to own Zarapes. They use the same recipe they had.
AgDotCom
In my opinion if you're under 35-40 years of age, you've never had a truly good CFS. The institutional food services have killed it (and the gravy, too.) Even Threadgill's in Austin isn't what it once was.

The best locally, back in the day were Youngblood's (now Carney's Pub), and Wehrman's in Bryan.

Locally today, IMO Willie's is the most "decent". And as Zone416 said, try the chicken fried medallions at Republic...not a true CFS but very tasty.

The best I've had in the past couple of years were at a Bill Miller's BBQ in both Hondo and Castroville. They don't serve it at their San Antonio locations for some reason. They were excellent, but still not as good as the holes in the wall of yesteryear when you were a high school athlete and the team bus unloaded at these places when you were playing out of town. Every coach in Texas knew where the best CF steaks were.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.