Need advice on upcoming meeting with Brazos County Appraisal District

4,105 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CS78
bbon88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a meeting at the end of June, and don't know the best way to give proof that my property is appraised too high. Any suggestions?
CS78
Why do you think it's too high? Build your case. The easiest is something is wrong with your property and you can show proof. Are your neighbors assessed below you? Are there comps that sold for less?
BrazosWifi
What are houses selling for that are similar to your house? That is the basis of their appraisal.
91_Aggie
AG
BrazosWifi said:

What are houses selling for that are similar to your house? That is the basis of their appraisal.
This.

You have to prove that your property is valued way too high.

The value of your house is based on the MARKET VALUE (actually appraisal by the county is usually lower than the true Market Value).

I was angry that mine went up the full 10% this year, but I have houses around me selling for $20,000 more than the county appraisal).

If you live in a subdivision, you can do this to see if you'll likely have a leg to stand on:

Go to:
http://esearch.brazoscad.org/

click on the By Address button
Type in your Street name (I found leaving of DR, ST, CIRCLE, etc works better)

This will show all the houses on your street and you can quickly see what everyone around you is valued at.

If someone sold their house in the last year, they will likely have a higher value than everyone else (at least that is what i noticed on my street).

Good luck.

If you live out in the country, with no nearby neighbors, you'll have to try to find some "comps" and that may be tough.
CS78
91_Aggie said:

If you live out in the country, with no nearby neighbors, you'll have to try to find some "comps" and that may be tough.
Actually, no comps can be a good thing. I had one this year where they couldn't show any good comps. They agreed there was no basis for an increase and dropped it back to last years value.
91_Aggie
AG
CS78 said:

91_Aggie said:

Actually, no comps can be a good thing. I had one this year where they couldn't show any good comps. They agreed there was no basis for an increase and dropped it back to last years value.
good to know.
Wildmen03
AG
I protested mine yesterday afternoon. I went in with a few comps, but they had similar ones and thought theirs were better. I then basically talked crap about my house for 10 minutes. Foundation is starting to shift/crack, driveway panels are becoming uneven, drywall and ceiling starting to show cracks. Stuff like that.

The biggest drop in price came when I mentioned my old next door neighbor complained that he had issues selling his house because of our proximity to the main street/entrance through our neighborhood and the constant noise coming from people accelerating at the intersection behind our yards. Sure enough they checked my neighbors house and it sold for less than expected market value. It didn't come up because our houses were different in size and didn't pop up under comps.

Got another $6,000 taken off for that on top of the $11,000 I got knocked off during my initial protest, that I previously rejected.

It can be nerve wracking presenting to a board of appraisers. But just go in, be honest, thorough and hope for the best.
InMyOpinion
Get comps of recent sales or don't show up
mgreen
I was told they want comps for the end of 2017 since that is what their data is based on. Comps from the last couple months will not be considered.
pattybrhg
I've never done this before but am due in early next week. Are there certain media that are more feasible to present (pictures, spreadsheets, typed media)? How many people are being presented to?

My first round of 20ish comps was quickly summarily dismissed with no comment as to why their 4 were superior. We haven't updated really much of anything so I'm kind of thinking of making that case versus their comps that were fixed up to be rentals. Is that practical in that setting? Should I use printed pictures, PowerPoint, etc.?

I guess I'm just looking for practicals as to what to expect there hearing to look like.
aggiepaintrain
AG
ARB lowered my value last year, the new value was supposed to last 2 years.
The Appraisal district decided they had "compelling evidence"to void what the Arb decided last year and raised my value what it went up last year (what I disputed and won) and another $35k this year.

Clown show up there.
1 against 8 in the ARB, real fair.

edit: and I lost this year
Guess they didn't like how they got played last year by some rookie non realtor; non appraiser. I think once they lower it one time that's it; you are DONE.
FJB
JP76
If your BCAD value is lower than current comps you are going to fight a losing battle if you show up to argue with them .
JP76
South Gate or East gate?

Be prepared to get hammered on the dirt value
pattybrhg
West Villa Maria
Lone Stranger
We had a realtor run comps in our area and after looking at the numbers I protested like many people using the their value is over market value argument. The county used 5 comps in our subdivision but 2 were a mile away. The realtor came back with 14 comps in the area. A couple were several blocks away but outside our subdivision from a development 10 years older. 3 of the comps on the realtor list overlapped with what the county used. I had 7 comps from the realtor that were closer in distance, closer in age and closer in sq ft than their 2 outliers.

The county didn't have any deed transaction info for one of my comps and rejected it. Based on removing their 2 farther away comps and adding my additional 6 they cut the 25,000 increase to a 10,000 increase which was my target going in. I had my list of 10 comps I pared from the realtor info (thanks Jeff Allen) printed out in a spreadsheet with address, sales date, sales price, sq ft, age, $/sq ft and distance from me so the reviewer could see the info pretty well. Didn't have to go before the board.
Houstonag
AG
It is a Kangaroo court. Do not expect any common sense and if you get a reduction it will be very, very, small. They cherry pick appraisal comps to make your house look more expensive. The real answer is to come loaded for a fight. Stay professional. Search for comps in your area. Compare features to those comps. The computer codes they use are built to drive up the value of your house. Prepare charts, have copies, pictures, financial analysis from lending institutions, and when it ends which will be unfair send a letter with intent to sue.

I have personal experience and I won in Harris county. Sometimes you have to go to those extremes . By the way they had to pay all my cost.

The reason they are jacking up appraisals is from pressures from the ISDs, county, city, etc. They talk and want more money.

The state legislature with Dan Patrick as Lt. Governor is going to try and change the system again. The Appraisal Districts know this and they are driving up values which may be their last year. I hope.
nthomas99
AG
Well I had a surreal experience when I showed up for my ARB hearing.

In the pre-hearing conference with the representative from the appraiser's office, I stated that I didn't think there were valid comps in the area justifying any increase (they had bumped me up 9% or so), the guy poked around in the system for a few minutes, says "yep, you're right" and promptly moved it back to last year's valuation (which was fairly reasonable).

Logic and reason wins and I am in shock.
oklaunion
The reason they are jacking up appraisals is from pressures from the ISDs, county, city, etc. They talk and want more money.

Just to add onto this comment, the CS mayor announced yesterday the intent of The City to give a 5% tax break for all homestead properties in town and look at more in the future. Of course, his way of making that up in revenue is increasing the tax rate. Which means non-homestead properties will be saddled with the increase.
If I got this wrong, please correct me.
MTTANK
AG
Not sure how many still have meetings, but might have a way to help you protest. If you live in a hood that was rezoned from cshs to consol, they accept that as a valid argument for a decrease in value. My neighbor got his lowered this way. I told him not to mention the rezone because they would not accept that as valid. He mentioned it to them and they said they actually have had a large number of people protest based on being rezoned. Appraiser said they had been provided valid data from multiple real estate agents noting the lower value of consol zoned vs cshs zoned homes. This is not a maroon vs purple stab, so if you want to disagree with this call the appraisal district. Hopefully this post is able to save some folks some taxes!
GIG 'EM
TaterTot_09
I bet the Anderson Housing area values sky rocket in the next few years because of this, despite the fact that some of it looks like it needs to be condemned. I doubt those investors would protest. It's one of the only cheap rental areas left in CS so those families will be squeezed out as values rise. Seeing as how we desperately need more Ag Shacks I'd be willing to bet in 10 years Anderson Place won't exist.

Always protest your value increases with BCAD! For the most part you don't have much to lose.
viejo
I have to say mine was pretty easy. They had appraised it at $35K more than I paid for it in late Nov. 2017. I just walked in with my closing statement. They couldn't argue that their valuation was more accurate than mine. Boom, they took $35K off their appraisal. Done in under 10 minutes.
CS78
viejo said:

I have to say mine was pretty easy. They had appraised it at $35K more than I paid for it in late Nov. 2017. I just walked in with my closing statement. They couldn't argue that their valuation was more accurate than mine. Boom, they took $35K off their appraisal. Done in under 10 minutes.
Wait until next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.