Snow's BBQ - Worth the Drive from BCS

4,639 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
Whachutalnbout Willys
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about getting up early tomorrow to make the drive to Lexington to pick up some Snow's BBQ. Would be first time. Worth the trip?
AgGunNut
AG
Definitely worth the trip. But get there early.
fishngame06
AG
I would suggest Truth BBQ down in Brenham first if you haven't tried that.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
AgGunNut said:

Was thinking of leaving BCS at 6:00 which should put me there around 7:00. Should I plan to get there earlier?
Cancelled
AG
Eating bbq at 9 am.

Go to truth. It's better and little wait.
bobinator
AG
Definitely worth it, I think the wait is fun. Bring some chairs and meet some folks.
AgGunNut
AG
I haven't been since this latest craze started by Texas Monthly, but I've been at 8-9 before and gotten food.

As for people saying don't go because of the wait, it's part of the experience. Ditto taking some chairs and visiting with others.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Made the drive this morning. Left BCS at 6:30 and arrived at Snow's right at 7:30. I was the 49th person in line. I was inside placing my order at 8:45 and on the road back to BCS by 9:00. Fun experience hanging out in line talking with the other customers.
bobinator
TheAlarmGuy
Broncos
So, was the BBQ worth it?
UmustBKidding
Snows is worth it. I have not been since the TM article but would leave at 6am and arrive before 7 and be 1 or 2 in line. People I have talked to that have been recently have said it not the line but the insufferable Austin residents who are in it. Guess it was a burden that their chauffeur could not drive out in the Bentley to pick it up since his wife had a hair appointment.
My BBQ addicted friend that usually stops on the way from SA just diverted to Louie Muller in Taylor on way here today to avoid the problems. Think he will hit blacks on the way back this evening to have some beef ribs.

RJ3
AG
It's consistently ranked #1 or #2 in Texas by Texas Monthly for a long time. Absolutely worth it, even in the morning. It's the Mecca for BBQ
bobinator
AG
UmustBKidding said:

People I have talked to that have been recently have said it not the line but the insufferable Austin residents who are in it. Guess it was a burden that their chauffeur could not drive out in the Bentley to pick it up since his wife had a hair appointment.

You mixing up Austin and Dallas?
birdman
Yes, it's totally worth it.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
The ribs, sausage and chicken were fantastic. Brisket was a little dry, but good flavor. Kreuz (in Bryan) brisket is better than what I had from Snow's. Will definitely go back though. Heard good things about the pork shoulder and will try it next time.
techno-ag
AG
VW Bus Guy said:

The ribs, sausage and chicken were fantastic. Brisket was a little dry, but good flavor. Kreuz (in Bryan) brisket is better than what I had from Snow's. Will definitely go back though. Heard good things about the pork shoulder and will try it next time.
For me the brisket is the whole point of going. Interesting you thought our local fare was better.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
techno-ag said:

VW Bus Guy said:

For me the brisket is the whole point of going. Interesting you thought our local fare was better.
I might have just had a dud brisket this time.
bobinator
AG
Yeah no kidding. Although I will say I've had some killer brisket from Kreuz. I've also had really mediocre brisket from them though also.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Southside Market in Elgin has brisket and sausage second to none
FJB
MTTANK
AG
For anyone that's been to snows, how would you compare it to Blacks? Blacks is a little bit more of a drive, but the wait has never been bad and I have a hard time thinking it can be beat.
jja79
AG
If you're going to make a drive out of it another very good one is Corkscrew in Spring.
Goat Man
AG
VW Bus Guy said:

techno-ag said:

VW Bus Guy said:

I might have just had a dud brisket this time.
I bet you got a dud. I've had Snows 5 or 6 times. Always brought in by my sister that lives in Austin and stops by on her way. It has never been anything but the best brisket I ever put in my mouth. Kreuz does occasionally have excellent brisket but I bet you got a dud at Snows this time. Bummer!
CactusThomas
AG
MTTANK said:

For anyone that's been to snows, how would you compare it to Blacks? Blacks is a little bit more of a drive, but the wait has never been bad and I have a hard time thinking it can be beat.

Those are my two favorite places
EVA3
AG
Black's is pretty good, but it's not even close to being the best in Lockhart.
CactusThomas
AG
Black's is absolutely the best in Lockhart
Ornlu
AG
VW Bus Guy said:

AgGunNut said:

Was thinking of leaving BCS at 6:00 which should put me there around 7:00. Should I plan to get there earlier?
That's plenty early. I did this recently, back in January. Left BCS at 9:00, got there at 10:30, and got food at like 11:55. There were only about 15 more people in line behind me that got food, then everything ran out.
MTTANK
AG
EVA3, which place did you like better? I made the rounds but maybe it was an off day for one of the other places. Looked up corkscrew in Spring, and its on our list. Appreciate the tip! Would like to try snows, but have a hard time waiting in line longer than 30 minutes or so. I have never tried Franklins for this reason, I know I'm missing out. Its just a patience issue on my part.
cz308
I've been to both Blacks and Snows and to me it's no different than Matus in Caldwell. I just don't see it.
SCHTICK00
AG
Our family favors Kreuz brisket over Snows.
KidDoc
AG
We tried All the King's Men in Bryan today and it was the best brisket I have ever had. Very impressive.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Anchor
AG
KidDoc said:

We tried All the King's Men in Bryan today and it was the best brisket I have ever had. Very impressive.
We love that place. It is in our top 5 in BCS.
agfan2013
AG
While I have had some pretty good brisket at Kreuz it's about a 50% success rate, I've also had some really bad bbq there too. Probably been 10 times or so and the quality is just too inconsistent.

Snows I've been to 3 times and there's a reason it's TM's #1 joint, you must have just caught the few off pieces that day, because it's always been phenomenal for me.

As someone else suggested, Truth BBQ down in Brenham is another reasonable drive for B/CS residents if you want excellent bbq. I've also been there 3 times and it is excellent stuff. Line is a bit shorter, but you still probably want to get there at 10:00 or earlier on a weekend as they open and start serving at 11:00.

Check out the Texas Monthly top 50 thread on the food and spirits board. We might come off as a bit snobbish to some of y'all, but I think you'll get good, honest opinions about various places, especially the central Texas locations that are pretty accessible for B/CS residents.
ChampsAg
I have not been to Snow's but plan on it this summer.

That being said, Truth in Brenham is by far the best brisket that I have had.

L&J BBQ in Brenham flies under the radar and is really good.

Blue Moon off OSR is pretty damn good.

We stop at Blacks just about every time that we go to San Antonio. Ribs are my favorite there.

Stopped at Southside in Elgin recently and the sausage was outstanding. Brisket was good as well.

Wasn't mentioned that I saw, but I'm still sad that Fargo's has become so inconsistent. They are a victim of their own success in my opinion. Got too big and away from what made them great.
MTTANK
AG
I was going to mention how good Fargo's is. Has it gone down hill lately? I know they moved to a bigger location, but have only been to the new one once. Blue Moon is one that is on our list, glad to hear it mentioned.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.