couldn't this be considered an invasion of privacy? - Franklin ISD forcing use

3,439 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

yes, i know its for security, but technically dont you think kids sometimes have a right to privacy for certain things?

Examples are someone who has medical issues and has a LARGE supply of feminine products they have to carry around in their backpack...

or a kid wants to carry the complete works of byron, or a D&D manual, or something... things guaranteed that you would get picked on or bullied if the local jocks ( im a nerd) saw you with them.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Franklin-ISD-requiring-clear-or-mesh-backpacks-next-year-484869791.html
The Anchor
AG
From your linked article:

Quote:

Female students will also be allowed to carry a small pouch in their bags for personal belongings.
JustPanda
AG
No.
studioone
I have a relative that has medical issues and when she was in school her entire backpack was filled with feminine products... a small bag would not have worked...

so if someone gets the poop beat out of them cause someone saw something in their backpack, that would be franklins ISD's fault, IMO...
The Anchor
AG
How? That's a victim mentality. This policy is enforced at all kinds of sporting events (BTW - women attend those too) and it really isn't a problem.
rhoswen
AG
My school has had clear and mesh backpacks for years and you can still conceal just about anything in them. Kids don't care about having to use them one bit.

You're definitely being overly dramatic.
OldArmy71
AG
Northeast ISD in San Antonio just announced a similar policy this week.

Stupe
S
Teenagers don't have a right to privacy.

We would be better off if more parents realized that instead of worrying about whether or not their kids are irritated.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
The Anchor said:

How? That's a victim mentality. This policy is enforced at all kinds of sporting events (BTW - women attend those too) and it really isn't a problem.

Big difference, school isn't voluntary.
aggiepublius
AG
This has been the policy at a significant percentage of schools nationwide pre-dating the "active shooter" fears.

And schools generally have accommodations for those with medical issues. In fact, they are legally required to do so. It can be as simple as allowing the student's medical supplies to be stored with a nurse or somewhere else. This isn't going to be an issue.

91_Aggie
AG
If you are bringing a D&D Monster Manual to school, then everyone already knows you do that especially in a small school like Franklin... where are you going to read it or use it school where no one will see you??

Are they banning girls from carrying purses? That is where my kid put feminine products. They never go in her backpack.

I'm not sure a clear backpack solves anything but at least the district is trying something. I gotta give them props for trying.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Stupe said:

Teenagers don't have a right to privacy.
Do you really mean that as blanket policy, or just in this case? If it's the first, then there are some real constitutional issues involved. I agree when it is in a situation such as this.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

The Anchor said:

Yes it is. Home school, private school.
Stupe
S
At home: blanket policy.
At school: a blanket policy on school grounds.

In the general public: I don't think that lawful rights should be infringed upon.
Stupe
S

The Anchor said:

Public school is voluntary.

Home school
Private school
Jail ( Eventually for those that don't want to take advantage of the others options)
MosesHallRAB83
AG
We're on the same page then.
TAMU1990
AG
Employers have clear bag policies. So does A&M/SEC and other professional sporting leagues.
woodiewood1
Requiring it is fine and I suspect the school will consider any reasonable special medical or personal needs of students, but it is really an action to show parents that they are doing something rather than being effective deterrent. If a student was to carry drugs or a firearm to school, it would be just as easy and more quickly accessible to carry them concealed on their body rather then in a backpack.

The Anchor
AG

The Anchor said:

You completely missed the point. My point is this type of policy is in effect everywhere and women have had no problems conforming to the policy.
CollegeStationMaid
No.

This post is just creating drama where there shouldn't be.
herb11
AG
I graduated from high school over 10 years ago. We had a no- backpack policy (or locker) for jr high and clear/mesh backpacks for high school. As a female it was a non-issue.
AgGunNut
AG
There is case law that says minors have diminished rights than adults when it comes to privacy. Schools have had clear bag policies for YEARS. I graduated HS in the mid 2000s and dealt with it since the beginning of middle school. My sister even longer

Move along...
befitter
Absolutely not
techno-ag
AG
Arm teachers like they're doing in Navasota if you're really worried about school shootings. Gun free zones should be abolished.
lost my dog
techno-ag said:

Arm teachers like they're doing in Navasota if you're really worried about school shootings. Gun free zones should be abolished.
Sure. Why not require everyone to carry a gun around? Then safety will be determined by quick-draw contests.

With respect to the clear backpacks, are they going to pat the students down before entering the school building? Otherwise an ankle-holster gets around any backpack restriction.
Kitten With A Whip
The Anchor said:

The Anchor said:

You completely missed the point. My point is this type of policy is in effect everywhere and women have had no problems conforming to the policy.
That you KNOW of. Further, I don't think you can speak for all women, or even most of the women. Unless this is something you follow with interest, how would you know this hasn't caused problems?
The Anchor
AG
Fair enough.

I will further define "problems" as reasons that hinder their ability to go somewhere this type of policy. Clearly with all of the above posters talking about going to schools with type of policy and sporting events pretty much everywhere having this type of policy this is merely an inconvenience and not a "problem".
Stupe
S

Quote:

Sure. Why not require everyone to carry a gun around? Then safety will be determined by quick-draw contests.

It's fun to point and laugh at people when they say that in person.
Oogway
It may be fun, but it isn't very polite (even if LMD was being sarcastic). I am waiting for the smart-alec prankster to show up with a clear backpack stuffed with a binder and a bunch of condoms to reinforce the school's "commitment to safety."
Stupe
S
Maybe, maybe not. However, when I'm in the presence of full grown adults and one makes a ridiculous statement, I don't feel the need to waste my energy stifling a laugh.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
OP agrees with David Hogg.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.