Front loader problems

2,254 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BCSMom
BCSMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whirlpool duet front loader. Was washing fine and husband said it gave error codes. Barrel super wobbly and water not draining.

Is it worth it to fix?

ETA: Ran diagnosis and got E1 and F9
TexAg1987
Worst case it is probably a ccu error. About $170 online from what I can tell.
Rexter
Prolly the ccu (control board). Easy fix. Google the diagnostic test and price on a new part.
BCSMom
Did some more research and this is what I found from the error codes. Hopefully it's an easy fix?!

Indicates that drain times are longer than expected, typically over eight (8) minutes.

Make sure the drain hose is not kinked or clogged. Use the U-shaped drain hose form on the drain hose. The standpipe (drainpipe) height requirements are 96" (244 cm) maximum and 39" (99 cm) minimum. Find more information on How to Install the Drain Hose.

AggiePlaya
AG
I hope it isn't the problem we had where the barrel broke off from the bracket that holds/turns it. In our case that meant a fix so expensive that it rendered the washer useless and we had to buy a new one.
Wildmen03
AG

stinkerbelle
AggiePlaya said:

I hope it isn't the problem we had where the barrel broke off from the bracket that holds/turns it. In our case that meant a fix so expensive that it rendered the washer useless and we had to buy a new one.
This is what happened with ours. We bought a new washer and did not get another front loader. Don't think I will ever get another one. Had way too many problems. Including odor issues, which I found out was fairly common. It is in the door and the rubber seals.
BCSMom
AggiePlaya said:

I checked the barrel...it's not wobbly like my husband described it! It's normal.

The problem is finding the drain. Will have to take apart the front or back panel.
TexAg1987
Wobble was probably because it was trying to spin full of water. That is probably a symptom, not a problem.

If you have a filter that can be cleaned, I would start there and it should be relatively easy to get to.

Another video:

Aggieland Appliance
Either drain is clogged or you need a new drain pump. Your model may have a bottom access panel held on by 4 1/4 inch bolts. If so pull the bottom panel and pump is accessible right in front.

FYI - almost everyone on here recommends Thomas Moore. I love watching the replies and the recommendations. Mr Moore was fixing my moms appliances when I was a kid. Super good guy and wouldn't even think of stepping on his toes. Incidentally, he's pushing 80 and if He gets over his head in the new electronics he will make a referral.
BCSMom
Knock on wood I think we fixed it. Drain filter was clean but shop vac sucked whatever was in there. Washed 2 loads and worked like a champ!
BCSMom
So still throwing the E1F9 code randomly. Did it the other day and there was no standing water. Threw in a blanket to wash and threw the code. Unplugged, reset and set to drain and spin.

When we checked the drain last week it was clear of anything. Stick the shop vac up and it worked fine. To have someone come out it's at least $85 to diagnose.

Could it be the drain pump even though it still runs a successful load?
TexAg1987
BCSMom said:

So still throwing the E1F9 code randomly. Did it the other day and there was no standing water. Threw in a blanket to wash and threw the code. Unplugged, reset and set to drain and spin.

When we checked the drain last week it was clear of anything. Stick the shop vac up and it worked fine. To have someone come out it's at least $85 to diagnose.

Failing pump or kinked hose?

internet says the code is thrown when it empties too slowly. (still detecting water after 60 seconds)

BCSMom
TexAg1987 said:

BCSMom said:

Failing pump or kinked hose?

internet says the code is thrown when it empties too slowly. (still detecting water after 60 seconds)

I'm thinking drain pump. Although when it threw up he code after we cleaned drain filter it didn't have standing water but today it did. Unplugged and reset panel and ran on drain and spin and it was fine. Thanks for the help!

Aggieland Appliance
Sounds like it needs a pump. You can usually tell by the sound. The pump will have a slight rattled sound. This is because of the plastic impeller is separating from the drive shaft. Pretty common issue. Hope this helps!
BCSMom
Aggieland Appliance said:

Sounds like it needs a pump. You can usually tell by the sound. The pump will have a slight rattled sound. This is because of the plastic impeller is separating from the drive shaft. Pretty common issue. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Ordered a pump so hopefully hubby can get it fixed but if not I'll be calling y'all!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.