Construction on Southern Plantation Dr

1,547 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by txag1876
txag1876
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At Newport. Does anyone know what they are building?
Ronniecoleman30
AG
I think they are building a retention pond. Was hoping they extend the road through to Victoria.
kraut
AG
According to the city's website - it's a park.
Stucco
Yes - a park.
Oogway
I love parks! When our children were a lot smaller, we printed a list of all of the parks in town and spent the summer visiting each one. Car was loaded up with chalk, bubbles, balls, hula hoops and other outside toys plus water (some parks lack a drinking fountain) and sunblock. An adventure each and every time. Some parks are quite tiny but have great urban wildlife, others are large but are designed (obviously) for organized sports. All were a wonderful opportunity to spend time getting to know our city.
txag1876
AG
Thanks! I know there was a park planned for there originally, but many years ago they said they didn't have the money to maintain it. I would love for the road to be extended through to Victoria. It would help cut down on having to turn left onto Barron.
91_Aggie
AG
So another park is going in less than a mile from the "new park" on Southern Plantation??

I've given up on them building SP to Victoria. My youngest will be a freshman next year so they've got 4 years to build it out and then I won't care after that.
musicforall
Very glad that Reatta Park is being built - Southern Oaks park down the road from them is jam packed in the early evenings. I have never seen a more used park. Maybe this will spread things out a bit. Hope there will be a walking trail, etc.

I am hopeful that the light at the corner of Alexandria and Barron is about to be put in - there is paint on the sidewalk that seems to indicate it. Can not be put in soon enough, turning left onto Barron takes forever in the mornings.
Oogway
Plus, with that hill on Barron, visibility is restricted.

Some of the parkland is set aside when neighborhoods are built (I think) and is developed when funds and time allow. The park further along to the east with the little trail) is awesome. If you have ever walked by there on a hot humid morning, you can feel the cool air floating from the underbrush. We need that because the manicured landscaping of most developments (like Tower Point) just doesn't dissipate heat the way a concentrated less manicured green space does. Those parks are actually pretty good for home values IMO. I know the neighborhood parks were one of the factors we considered when assessing job offers to come here.
But, I agree that having that road go on through might be convenient for some. How do people that live on SP feel about it for the most part?
TLIAC
AG
Oogway said:

Plus, with that hill on Barron, visibility is restricted.

Some of the parkland is set aside when neighborhoods are built (I think) and is developed when funds and time allow. The park further along to the east with the little trail) is awesome. If you have ever walked by there on a hot humid morning, you can feel the cool air floating from the underbrush. We need that because the manicured landscaping of most developments (like Tower Point) just doesn't dissipate heat the way a concentrated less manicured green space does. Those parks are actually pretty good for home values IMO. I know the neighborhood parks were one of the factors we considered when assessing job offers to come here.
But, I agree that having that road go on through might be convenient for some. How do people that live on SP feel about it for the most part?
I don't know how I feel. I really think that the increased traffic would over ride the extra convenience. Also, I can just imagine the nightmare at the intersection of SP and Victoria in the mornings. I use Decatur a lot to get to Tower Point but I can tell you that at times it is hard to turn from my street onto Decatur because of the increased traffic
Stucco
This park will compliment the other pretty well. There will be two covered playscapes and an exercise station, two covered picnic areas, a water fountain and a lighted path. The other has less playground equipment, but a basketball court, frisbee golf course and lots of open land for sports.
Oogway
Quote:

"Also, I can just imagine the nightmare at the intersection of SP and Victoria in the mornings."

I can imagine it as being pretty scary myself. I already see quite a few students use the neighborhood cut-thru a little further north and then cross the street without heading to a crosswalk. That is pretty hard to deter, but adding another intersection across from the entrance to the student lot would need some very careful planning I would expect. I suppose at some point those two southern parcels will be developed and then CSHS will be an urban school with all that entails as far as traffic and congestion, so I can certainly understand the nearest neighborhoods not looking forward to that day coming anytime soon.
txag1876
AG
Yeah, I guess I didn't really think about increased traffic coming in, just the convenience of getting out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.