Direct TV.. Transfer service to new address

1,139 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CollegeStationMaid
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone had experience with this.
Direct TV telling me $200 charge to transfer service to a new house??

Really ?
The_Professional
What happened to that "take the receiver with you" thing they used to say? It's been a few years, but I don't remember paying for a transfer. I think we have the insurance thing too though.
75AG
AG
I transfered a few months back with no charge. Must be something new.
nought
AG
kevmiller said:

Really ?
Just call back and ask to speak to someone else. Don't say you want to transfer service. Explain you simply need to update your address. They can't charge you to update your address. Problem solved.
The Original AG 76
AG
Better yet simply cancel and sign up in your spouses name and get all the newbie crap.
emtes
AG
nought said:

kevmiller said:

Really ?
Just call back and ask to speak to someone else. Don't say you want to transfer service. Explain you simply need to update your address. They can't charge you to update your address. Problem solved.
ask to speak to retention, always had better luck with them
CCMD
AG
Directv is just lousy since being bought by AT&T. I got the genie2 6 months ago and I wish I never had. Lots of glitches and a much more difficult to navigate display guide. If I were you, I would take the opportunity to switch to a different provider.
bobinator
AG
They'll probably wave the fee if you re-up your deal. We were paying month to month when we moved last summer (as in we were no longer under a contract) and I got on the online chat to see what it would cost to move our service and they said 200 or they could wave the fee if we signed a new contract.

I told them I had no intention of signing a new contract and if it was 200 dollars we were just going to go with something else and they waved the fee. So we got it moved over for free without signing a new deal.

Unknown to them the only reason we didn't drop them as soon as we moved is because of the Astros, as soon as the playoffs started we dropped DirecTV.
kevmiller
How much is it to drop direct tv If still under contract ?
bobinator
AG
Depends on your contract, there will be a cancellation fee of some kind.
MisterShipWreck
kevmiller said:

How much is it to drop direct tv If still under contract ?
Dish was $20 a month, for each month left on the contract, when I called last year. Not sure about Direct TV. Probably $20 or $30 per month left
CollegeStationMaid
We transferred when we moved across town last summer - no charge
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.