Home inspector recommendation

2,159 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 90 bull
milner79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New home purchase pending. Please share your recommendation for a home inspector. (searched previous posts; no luck.) Thanks.
JP76
https://www.bcsinspections.net/

Andy Merritt is one of the best
ChiefHaus
JP76 said:

https://www.bcsinspections.net/

Andy Merritt is one of the best
I second Andy Merritt.
nthomas99
AG
I third and fourth Andy Merritt. He's not just 10% better than most, he's on a whole different level.
Stupe
S
Merritt did ours, as well.

I had no complaints and he actually enjoys it when you ask questions because he gets to "educate someone about their house".

Aggieland Appliance
Andy Merritt hands down!
carpe vinum
AG
ditto, good guy.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
nthomas99 said:

I third and fourth Andy Merritt. He's not just 10% better than most, he's on a whole different level.

How do you go about quantifying how good one inspector is against another?
Aggieland Appliance
Esteban du Plantier said:

nthomas99 said:

By buying three or four houses in the area and getting screwed the first time around. In my case we bought a rental in edelweiss and inspector found a roofing nail too close to a gas line. He seemed to miss the 12 patched up places of plumbing in the attic where the nail was too close. Cost me $5k to replumb the house plus sheet rock and paint.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Aggieland Appliance said:

Esteban du Plantier said:

nthomas99 said:

By buying three or four houses in the area and getting screwed the first time around. In my case we bought a rental in edelweiss and inspector found a roofing nail too close to a gas line. He seemed to miss the 12 patched up places of plumbing in the attic where the nail was too close. Cost me $5k to replumb the house plus sheet rock and paint.

First, it was a joke.

Second, that's a qualitative analysis you give there, not quantitative.

How would you calculate (I.e. quantify) that one inspector was 10% better than another?
Aggieland Appliance
Touche! My mistake.
milner79
Hmmmmm, perhaps I should call Andy Merritt.
Thanks everybody.
nthomas99
AG
Le sigh, surely you know what I mean.

In many/most trades in this city (e.g., plumbing, electricians, etc), while there are definitely people to steer clear of, there is generally a large pool of competent and friendly folk who will get the job done and be pleasant enough to work. Sure, people have their preferences, but it's not clear one is notably "better" than the other (hence the metaphor of 10%, +/- the margin of error, etc), and I'm going to go with the first person available.

However, in my personal experience, people I've talked to, and in previous posts on this board, Andy stands shoulders above the rest. The fact that we're 10+ replies deep and no one has even bothered to throw out another name is evidence of this fact. Another example of this would be Anchor for foundation work.

There. Enough to satiate your appetite, friendly troll?
JR Ewing
AG
Andy Merritt is a great inspector. I'd also highly recommend Chuck Jahnke, with CJ Pro Inspections - 7137255094, especially with a lot of the new builds. He keeps the custom builders honest upfront, which saved us a lot of problems later on.
Butterflygrl
Steve Jolly with TPI Inspections! Top notch!
90 bull
AG
I used Andy Merritt for a house in 2011. Unfortunately he missed the fact that the shower in the master wasn't attached to anything, so the water ran under the house. So, with all of the recommendations here, I guess it shows that no one is perfect.
AggiePhil
AG
We used Tom Rike with Tucker Inspections. Did a good job.
SoTheySay
S
I'm super curious about this. What do you mean?
JP76
Slab or pier and beam ?
90 bull
AG
Pier and beam. It was an easy fix, and not too costly. $800 or so. Just would have preferred the seller to pay.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.