Century Square paid parking starts May 11

18,930 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
rc_cat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
story

Century Square Parking Rates
Garage
First 30 minutes are free.
$1 every 30 minutes after that
Daily maximum = $10
Overnight = $20
Surface lots
One hour = $1
Two hours = $5, $2 an hour after that
Daily maximum = $25
To-go parking
Free for 15 minutes
Valet parking
Up to three hours = $8
Daily maximum = $14
Overnight = $22

eta: rates
Average Joe
AG
$1 an hour, $5 for two hours? That has to be a typo.
AgGunNut
AG
Also now includes the garage, not just surface parking...
dman2217
So are they trying to discourage people from parking on the surface lot for longer than an hour?
Captn_Ag05
AG
But, charity!

This is ridiculous. The long-promised parking garage was promoted as free. Also, the overnight charge is $20 for self-parking and $22 for valet. Are the hotels going to validate the parking charges? That really adds up for a two-night stay at the George or CC.

The developers seem to be going out of their way to try and kill a good thing.
GoneGirl
AG
Is the idea to keep students from parking there and walking to campus? It seems strange otherwise.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Oogway
According to their website, I believe it is $2 an hour after the first hour.

They are in business to make money. We will see if they chose wisely.
Gigem314
AG
Are businesses validating garage parking for purchases? Thought I'd heard that somewhere.
techno-ag
AG
Whelp, so long business for those establishments.
australopithecus robustus
Hard to know if this decision was purposefully timed with graduation weekend or a coincidence that is ill advised....
BQ_90
AG
just ride a yellow bike over and leave it anywhere
rc_cat
TxElsie said:

Is the idea to keep students from parking there and walking to campus? It seems strange otherwise.
I'd bet some of the students wouldn't blink at paying $10 to park in the garage all day while they went to class.
KidDoc
AG
Yeah they were saying the garage is free. I could see this really hurting the Star Cinema Grill unless they validate for movies.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It is funny that they always advertise their free events - free music, free yoga, free movie nights, etc. on the green. Attendance at those "free" events will likely suffer as well if have to pay for several hours of parking.
Scruffy
AG
Average Joe said:

$1 an hour, $5 for two hours? That has to be a typo.

They probably know most people will spend more than 1 hour but less than 2 hours so they have priced it accordingly.
Capitalism comrades.
Bunk Moreland
I think it's because they'd rather turn over the surface lots and keep them primarily for folks who are going just for a short time to shop or eat etc, so they're incentivizing you to park in the garage if you know you'll be there longer than an hour as it'll be cheaper.

Not bothered by those rates at all. They're low and do not serve as a deterrent should I want to patronize an establishment over there.
BlueMiles
AG
And now instead of "it goes to charity," it's more dubious.

"...a portion of the money raised from parking to the College Station ISD Education Foundation to benefit their Teacher's Grant program."
Chef Demas 2020
AG
I get having metered parking for store front spots now that the garage is open but charging to park in the garage too? What a shame....
Cyp0111
The decision on the garage is an extremely poor one. Even CC in Houston has free garage parking (upper levels).
W
AG
what's the old expression...

if you think something is expensive now...wait until it's free
theycallmemrtibbs
Was going to hit up all the new restaurants over there now that the students are leaving. But now I probably won't. There's lots of other places to eat in town where I don't have to pay to park.
jja79
AG
Hopdaddy's is vastly overrated, Blaze Pizza is like many others now, haven't been to Porters, but am a big fan of Mo's Irish Pub. Other than that I can't think why I'd pay to park there.

Vintage Park in Spring is similar, but bigger and better and is free to park anywhere on the property.
Wicked Good Ag
It is going to depend on where you want to eat. An extra five bucks on the bill at Porters is not going to be huge because you know going in you are spending a lot of money on food. Same with something like Poppy. But the smaller places or cheaper (Zoe Kitchen) will be much more affected
Cyp0111
It's the same problem that the cheaper food places in City Centre are experiencing. When you go to Eddie V's you're gonna valet. When going to Grub burger...not so much.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The food at Piada is good and I really like Hey Sugar. Hopefully I can find the free 15-minute parking.
AggieBarstool
Wicked Good Ag said:

It is going to depend on where you want to eat. An extra five bucks on the bill at Porters is not going to be huge because you know going in you are spending a lot of money on food. Same with something like Poppy. But the smaller places or cheaper (Zoe Kitchen) will be much more affected
I really wish people would stop trying to justify the parking charges with this argument.

It's like saying we shouldn't mind if <insert business here> charges us <insert cost here> for visiting <insert expensive place here>.

Do you want to pay a fee to park at the grocery store to do your weekly/monthly shopping? Of course you don't, but you shouldn't be upset, after all, $5 is nothing compared to that $100 grocery bill.

See how dumb that sounds?
AggieBarstool
jja79 said:

Hopdaddy's is vastly overrated, Blaze Pizza is like many others now, haven't been to Porters, but am a big fan of Mo's Irish Pub. Other than that I can't think why I'd pay to park there.

Vintage Park in Spring is similar, but bigger and better and is free to park anywhere on the property.

Oh well. I was looking forward to trying Mo's and Sweet Paris.
Bunk Moreland
Grocery shopping is basically a necessity. Everything at century Square is a luxury. Completely opposite economics.
Fleen
BlueMiles said:

And now instead of "it goes to charity," it's more dubious.

"...a portion of the money raised from parking to the College Station ISD Education Foundation to benefit their Teacher's Grant program."

Hmmmm...
jja79
AG
If this Mo's equals the others give it a shot.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Mo's said they were opening in the spring. Times running short for that. Where are they?
Cyp0111
May 30th
Wicked Good Ag
AggieBarstool said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

I really wish people would stop trying to justify the parking charges with this argument.

It's like saying we shouldn't mind if <insert business here> charges us <insert cost here> for visiting <insert expensive place here>.

Do you want to pay a fee to park at the grocery store to do your weekly/monthly shopping? Of course you don't, but you shouldn't be upset, after all, $5 is nothing compared to that $100 grocery bill.

See how dumb that sounds?

When the hell did I justify paid parking. I simply said those that go to Porters won't worry about an extra few bucks but people who go to other places will
texasaggie04
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Grocery shopping is basically a necessity. Everything at century Square is a luxury. Completely opposite economics.

To be fair, an economist would tell you that $5 is $5, regardless whether it's added onto a $10 lunch or a $20,000 new car.
Scruffy
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

To be fair, an economist would tell you that $5 is $5, regardless whether it's added onto a $10 lunch or a $20,000 new car.

And $20 is $20.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.