Are we excited about Cafe do Brasil yet?

16,057 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 75AG
befitter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We went last night with a fairly large group. Salad bar is excellent. We all felt the service was very rushed but being new I imagine that will improve. The meats were very good and you certainly have plenty of it. The sides were average and the desserts were really good. Wine list is extensive. I can't say we will go there very often but we would like to try the bar patio experience soon.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

1. Do they serve grilled pineapple?
Oh my God.....they had very thinly sliced pineapple with a cinnamon dusting. We all couldn't get enough of it. Neither could the rest of the diners, either: the tray on the salad bar ran out quickly and had to be replaced every five minutes or so.

The sides were very good and I was especially surprised by the fried polenta. It was great.
WonkaTXRanger
I was there last Saturday night with a group of 8. No complaints really. Our waitress took our drink order as soon as we sat down. I did't get a chance to look at the wine list so I can't really speak on that. The salad bar was re-stocked quickly. It had a nice selection items, but not as extensive as Fogo. The meat selection was awesome and they came around quite often even when the place was packed. They dropped off some hot sides like polenta fries, mashed potatoes and fried plantains. I enjoyed a bit of each one but most of them were untouched. The desserts are very large portions, but you need to remember they are not included in the dinner price. This will be a once or twice a year visit for us. Lastly....those poor bathroom attendants.
EliteElectric
We went yesterday, pretty good. The parmesan pork was awesome, and all of the beef cuts were great. Similar to fogo. It will be in the rotation going forward.
The Anchor
AG
We tried this place tonight. The food and service were excellent. There were lots of great meats to choose from. We weren't impressed with the atmosphere. It felt like a cafeteria. We will be back at some point, but there are other higher end restaurants we will frequent first.
LOYAL AG
AG
Been twice in the past week, once with a client group event and once for anniversary dinner. Both times the food was excellent. I went in wondering about the lighting based on comments here but given the number of times you're interacting with the servers and looking at cuts of meat I think it's good. The noise Sunday was actually really low until they raised the window blinds. I know, that's pretty odd but we actually noticed an increased when the blinds went up. Go figure.

Someone mentioned Fogo de Chao and that's not an accident. I actually mentioned them to my wife the first time we went and one of the servers quietly told me that a huge portion of their staff came from Fogo. That's a plus for me as we love that place.

We'll definitely be back.
75AG
AG
The cafeteria-like ambiance is spot on. Food was good. Service was rushed, except for drinks. Bar was not busy but it took over 15 minutes from ordering until our drinks were delivered. Hopefully that will get better. We'll try it again in a few months.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
75AG said:

The cafeteria-like ambiance is spot on. Food was good. Service was rushed, except for drinks. Bar was not busy but it took over 15 minutes from ordering until our drinks were delivered. Hopefully that will get better. We'll try it again in a few months.
I think you mean the speed at which the waiters bring the meat selections? If thats the case, then as long as you have the green side up, you're going to keep getting this speed of offerings. All the Brazilian places are like this as long as that green side is up.

I went last week and it was quite good. I would not put it at the level of Fogo or Chama in Houston, maybe just slightly short of that as far as meat quality ,but the salad bar was just as good or some might even say better. They did have 2 cuts of lamb I want to comment on...one was the lamb chop which was wonderful. But then there was another cut of lamb that was very dry and not good. IMHO if Fogo and Chama are 10s, this is probably a 9 but its still much much better than some of the other joints in Houston like Tradicoau. I'm thinking this is a 3-4 time a year spot for me. Actually going back tomorrow as well.
75AG
AG
No. I meant feeling rushed, like "here's you salad plate, get to the salad bar". And "here's your sides, now order some meats". We weren't loitering, or lollygagging, just enjoying our drinks first. All that said, our waitstaff was very nice and knowledgeable. We'll just hit the bar first, next time.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
oh ok gotcha
TaterTot_09
The candied bacon at the salad bar is the meaning of life!! I'll be lining my pockets with ziplocks next time. The meat was all delicious as well.
The Original AG 76
AG
Is this place a business casual or shorts and a button down ?
Tailgate88
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Is this place a business casual or shorts and a button down ?

It's going to be shorts and a button down the night I go.
75AG
AG
Saw both! Just wear pants, and you'll be OK.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.