BCAD vs selling price

1,675 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggiePlaya
the4aces
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How accurate is BCAD vs selling price? The home I am selling just got appraised for $150k through BCAD. I put it on the market 2 weeks ago (before I got the notice from BCAD) at 135 and had multiple offers reaching a sale price for $138.

Am I a sucker? The buyers are now asking for ~5k in repairs after the inspection.

What would you do?

God bless!
CTGilley
AG
I would tell then you are not going to do the repairs due to the "deal" they are getting.
aggiegal99
We sold 11 months ago for significantly higher than BCAD.
toocool
BCAD is for taxing properties, not realistic selling prices.
BrazosWifi
BCAD is 10-20% lower than actual selling price in my experience.
BigBubba
AG
BrazosCad is historically lower. If it is higher, you should be contesting your appraisal to lower you taxes.

If BrazosCAD was $150, then you should have been listing at $160-$170 to leave some negotiating room and to be able to cover repairs.
Vinnie C
Paid 285k for my place in December. Taxed at 317k for 2018. Plan on protesting with closing documents, appraisal, etc. Anyone with experience doing this?
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Yes, but not here. When I sold to move here selling price was about 20+K less than the new appraisal. Was under contract with buyer. Took paperwork to appraisal district and it was immediately lowered. Reason, the house was 12 years old, but their computer program had it marked as "new" "pristine". With one click of a button on the program to drop it one level from "new" it spit out a value that equaled the selling price.

Did it save me money? F no. It did save my buyer, though.

Point of story: The appraisal process is extremely flawed and of course in favor of the taxing entity.

I could go on but I would probably get banned if I posted my unvarnished opinions.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
A second word of advice, if you can use some other mean than your closing documents to lower the taxes, then do so. If you settle on using your documents, then you have set the floor. They will only go up from there.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Vinnie C said:

Paid 285k for my place in December. Taxed at 317k for 2018. Plan on protesting with closing documents, appraisal, etc. Anyone with experience doing this?

Yes. I've done it this way many times without any issues.
AggiePlaya
AG
the4aces said:

How accurate is BCAD vs selling price? The home I am selling just got appraised for $150k through BCAD. I put it on the market 2 weeks ago (before I got the notice from BCAD) at 135 and had multiple offers reaching a sale price for $138.

Am I a sucker? The buyers are now asking for ~5k in repairs after the inspection.

What would you do?

God bless!
Did you get a realtor to give you a CMA (comparative market analysis)?

Typically the tax appraisal trails behind real market value so I hope you didn't get screwed!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.