FM2818 / FM60 interchange

4,890 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Expert Analysis
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Several days (including today) we have passed through the intersection, without a worker in sight, no machinery in operation. Weather definitely NOT an issue. Meanwhile the usual clusterf*#k of vehicles trying to use the intersection in its current "unfriendly" layout...hellooooo TxDOT?
Mathguy64
AG
Welcome to the world of highway construction contracts. They are stupid. My guess is either the equipment for the next part is somewhere else or they need the people somewhere else to finish some part elsewhere to meet a deadline for a money draw.
tb9665
Just wait until they start on Wellborn and George Bush.
techno-ag
AG
Sometimes the construction company is juggling multiple contracts and pulls workers from one site to another. I would not necessarily lay this at the feet of TxDOT.
saltydog13
AG
It would be nice if people go under 60 and then make a right onto it instead of exiting before 60 and trying to make a left across all the lanes
Builder93
AG
You never know what the delay could be. While I'm no fan of TXDOT, the contractor could be waiting for an engineering change to be made or for testing to be completed before moving on to the next step. There are many things you don't know about that can be affecting the project.

Typically, contractors don't want these projects to extend any further than they have to because everyday is more overhead taken out of profit. Of course, you could rush the job and then you'd be moaning about how bad the roads are in a couple of years and cussing them anyway.

It's also possible that someone just screwed up something and now it's delayed. But, hey, let's jump to conclusions and throw everyone under the bus just to make sure all bases are covered.

Just to be fair, tell me about all of the things you work on and how they are all on time and under budget.
71txag
AG
It's a tough job with the traffic situation. Quite a bit of the work has been done at night.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
How about the sharp turn one has to make from fm 60 to merge into 2818?! It is a major wreck waiting to happen!
How on earth does tx dot allow that type of turn on a street with speed limits of 50-60 mph?! You literary have to go from 50 mph to almost a complete stop to make the right turn to merge onto 2818 to head to bryan.

I HATE tx dot with their ineptitud
harrierdoc
AG
Quite condescending.
redd38
AG
andyv94 said:

How about the sharp turn one has to make from fm 60 to merge into 2818?! It is a major wreck waiting to happen!
How on earth does tx dot allow that type of turn on a street with speed limits of 50-60 mph?! You literary have to go from 50 mph to almost a complete stop to make the right turn to merge onto 2818 to head to bryan.

Well if you drive the speed limit instead of 60 mph then it's not so bad. (Speed limit is 45 there)
AggieBarstool
saltydog13 said:

It would be nice if people go under 60 and then make a right onto it instead of exiting before 60 and trying to make a left across all the lanes
Ugh. So much this. I have, literally, never turned left from northbound 2818 to go westbound on 60. Why people don't do as you described is beyond me.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
AggieBarstool said:

saltydog13 said:

Ugh. So much this. I have, literally, never turned left from northbound 2818 to go westbound on 60. Why people don't do as you described is beyond me.

Better signage would help. My guess is a lot of these people don't realize that's an option.
AG
redd38 said:

andyv94 said:

Well if you drive the speed limit instead of 60 mph then it's not so bad. (Speed limit is 45 there)

Lol you think driving 45 mph on that stretch of the road and having to come to an almost complete stop to make that 90 degree turn is still safe? Sorry but you are being obtuse or you don't drive that way everyday and see how many people slam on their brakes because they are either not paying attention to the person in front of them that is trying to make a turn, or are riding your ass, etc....either way it's NOT A SAFE set up by any means
Expert Analysis
AG
How about driving the speed limit and paying attention? Its a workzone people shoukd be paying better attention. It is temporary. While not ideal, it is not some crazy setup.
redd38
AG
andyv94 said:

redd38 said:

andyv94 said:

Lol you think driving 45 mph on that stretch of the road and having to come to an almost complete stop to make that 90 degree turn is still safe? Sorry but you are being obtuse or you don't drive that way everyday and see how many people slam on their brakes because they are either not paying attention to the person in front of them that is trying to make a turn, or are riding your ass, etc....either way it's NOT A SAFE set up by any means

How is it different than anywhere else in town where the speed limit is 45 or higher and you have to slow down to make a 90 degree right turn? It's a pretty common maneuver.
SCHTICK00
AG
harrierdoc said:

Quite condescending.

Yet totally appropriate and spot on.
harrierdoc
AG
well, I disagree.

That same sentiment could have been made without the snarky condescension.

And... all you have to do is look at a project like the Kyle Field renovation to know that contractors, engineers, etc... CAN be on the same page and not have issues like the OP was describing. It just requires planning, foresight, and great communication.
GSS
Username (Builder93) checks out. A list of excuses is standard protocol...

It was not just this week that nice weather and no work/workers was the case. And it is a challenging layout, as-is...and MUCH worse for someone not familiar with the situation.
SCHTICK00
AG
harrierdoc said:

well, I disagree.

And... all you have to do is look at a project like the Kyle Field renovation to know that contractors, engineers, etc... CAN be on the same page and not have issues like the OP was describing. It just requires planning, foresight, and great communication.

You know absolutely nothing about construction or construction contracts. You willing to increase costs by 100% or more to pull off the schedule used for Kyle Field? It's a popular pass time to critique construction designers and contractors because you get to see what you think is how the sausage is made. At the same time, if we were to monitor your cubicle or where ever you do your work and make you account for every time you appear inefficient you'd be none to happy. Plus, if you're going to throw mud, don't cry when it comes back at you.
harrierdoc
AG
You don't know what I do or don't know. I do understand that projects like Kyle field are more expensive for various reasons. But, to say projects can't be done without significant inefficiencies, is wrong. And, as my main point was obviously lost on you, the discussion could have been had without the snarky comment.
etmydst
AG
harrierdoc said:

well, I disagree.

And... all you have to do is look at a project like the Kyle Field renovation to know that contractors, engineers, etc... CAN be on the same page and not have issues like the OP was describing. It just requires planning, foresight, and great communication by an army of engineers and field personnel dedicated to a single project...oh and also no cars driving through the middle of the project..or no third-party utilities that have little incentive to move in a timely manner.
FIFY
WoodAg
Anyone know the timeline on the Bush/Wellborn work?
legalbird
The problem

Roads often have barricades for days where there are no workers. This impacts people going to work. Put a price tag on people that either show up late or have to wake up 30 minutes earlier to sit in traffic.

Wellborn Rd where the new HEB is going...same thing
Northgate, same thing

I have seen public streets turned in to food trucks/staging/unloading materials areas with no police officer involved, just a worker with an orange flag directing traffic.

Contracts should be written so that if no work is happening, the unnecessary barricades are removed. Pay on fast time completions and penalize for slow work that doesn't meet timelines.
SCHTICK00
AG
legalbird said:

Contracts should be written so that if no work is happening, the unnecessary barricades are removed. Pay on fast time completions and penalize for slow work that doesn't meet timelines.

We already have this, it's called liquidated damages.
Expert Analysis
AG
cwood15 said:

Anyone know the timeline on the Bush/Wellborn work?

AFAIK start date is 3-4 years out at a minimum.
Builder93
AG
GSS said:

Username (Builder93) checks out. A list of excuses is standard protocol...

It was not just this week that nice weather and no work/workers was the case. And it is a challenging layout, as-is...and MUCH worse for someone not familiar with the situation.
I am not making excuses. I am pointing out that jumping to conclusions makes only the jumper look bad.

The contractor could be completely in the wrong but we don't know that. When I find out that all parties simply abandoned the project, then I'll be upset.

BTW, I drove through it a couple of days ago and experienced no more delays than normal.
LOYAL AG
AG
Odds are pretty high the project has a deadline that has money on the line for meeting it. That deadline wasn't last week so if the project is on schedule then what's the real complaint here?
Oogway
I drove through the intersection today and they were working!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
They mentioned this on the radio a couple days ago. SOme elements needed redesign, utility delays, etc. 3 months behind schedule.
M2Spider
AG
It's about to get worse. They start on the ramps soon which will cause closures of existing ramps periodically throughout the summer into the fall.
AG
Lmao, yes bud....identical
redd38
AG
andyv94 said:

Lmao, yes bud....identical

I know, that's why I pointed it out
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Just curious, but for those that respond to posts that are old (previous pages back), why not just quote them so we know what the eff you are talking about?

Sorry. pet peeve.
Builder93
AG
harrierdoc said:

Quite condescending.
Since this thread popped up again let me defend myself. If you think my post was condescending, was the original not? Did I turn out to be correct in my assessment?
Builder93
AG
harrierdoc said:

well, I disagree.

Ask any of the guys who worked on Kyle Field. They don't want to do it again.

Also, how many deaths were on Kyle? Was that guy on the the same page?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.