books to donate

3,280 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by atm86
mamatrio
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am trying to find a place to donate a large number of books. An suggestions other than the library? I don't want to take to Half-Price books.
The Original AG 76
AG
mamatrio said:

I am trying to find a place to donate a large number of books. An suggestions other than the library? I don't want to take to Half-Price books.
let you in on a little secret.
We are in the midst of a massive downsize and had literally hundreds of books. At first I took PILES of hardbacks ( the ones that I thought were popular) to Half Price..out of 100 books they " kept" maybe 8 0r 10. The rest they offered to " donate" or you could have them back to donate yourself. One of the ladies at the counter confided that they really simply recycled (as in throw em away) the donate books since no one really wants used books. There are just too damn many of them around. It seems like a few gazillion boomers and such are downsizing everyday and its common for us to have entire rooms of books we simply don't have space for anymore.
I recently just decided to start throwing em away and saving the time and effort to carry a car load and get $6.00 in credit.
Libraries and schools don't want them ..no one does.
If you have gently used children's books, the group Books and a Blanket will use them. http://booksandablanket.squarespace.com
sangria
AG
I always scan the book section at Goodwill and Twin City Mission, so maybe try them and/or other thrift stores around town.

mamatrio
Thanks everyone!
threecatcorner
Prisons are interested in paperbacks. Shelters and nursing homes are sometimes interested, but they may not want a large number. The Friends of the Library is having a sale at Mounce Library (downtown Bryan) this weekend. Both Mounce and Ringer Library accept donations of used or new books. Some are added to the collection (especially filling a gap in a series or replacing a copy of the same title that was in worse shape), some are put in the book sale, and some are put on the free table. People definitely do take items from the free table.

There are some green boxes around town where you can donate books (I think they are from Better World Books) so thay the books get sent where they are wanted or needed.

To say that "no one wants used books" is just untrue. Now, if you have an overwhelming amount you want to donate, it may be more than one place wants to deal with at one time if they do not have the storage space, but that doesn't mean that all used books should be thrown away.
threecatcorner
Books and a Blanket has a donation box at Blue Baker, but I think they specifically want children's books.
techno-ag
AG
Some church garage sales are coming up end of May & into the summer. We get rid of a lot of junk that way. Also don't forget Hospice Mart. They moved recently.
RPJ83
mamatrio said:

Mind if I ask why you don't want to donate to the library?
waterchick
The Children's Museum can also take gently used children's books for their little free library they have at the entrance. They had some flooding in the recent rain and many books were damaged so they're looking for replacements.
mamatrio
I don't think the library would want to take some of the books that are in bad condition and I don't have the desire to drive all over town asking organizations to sift through my book collection. I did take the books to Second Change Resale off Harvey Mitchell. Book and A Blanket looked like a good option for children's books but, once again, I am not driving multiple places asking if they want old books.
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I love books but inherited /collected too many to keep
Kmarie7y
I am starting a library at the Waterford Assisted Living Facility. We would happily take book donations. Books can be dropped off at the facility at 1103 Rock Prairie Rd in College Station. If you have questions I can be reached at 979-393-8583. Thanks!
atm86
AG
1.618 said:

If you have gently used children's books, the group Books and a Blanket will use them. http://booksandablanket.squarespace.com
The Books and a Blanket people will be at the Hazardous Waste event on April 28. They will even unload your items for you. Bring them then if you want!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.