construction, rezoning? near College Hills

1,063 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fleen
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know what's going on almost directly across the street from College Hills Elementary on Francis? They are clearing a lot of land near the corner of Francis and Walton. It almost looks like they are clearing it for a parking lot, but my guess is it's something else. I don't know if the land is/was part of what belongs to that corner house or separate.

Anyhow, I haven't heard anything about rezoning or anything like that, but from how I understand it, city council lets developers call agshacks "single family homes" so they can legally squish a bunch of those in and not even have to get the land rezoned.

I'm wondering why I have heard nothing about this, but there was a huge fuss and signs in people's yards when an area on Gilchrist (close to the opposite side of the school) was going to potentially be rezoned and have too many houses (or probably agshacks) close to the school.

What is the point of the "neighborhood overlays" or whatever the city is calling it that is supposed to keep areas (including near this elementary school) from having high occupancy and lots of cars?

There are lots of cars in that area to take kids to and from school and having a whole bunch of traffic let out on the opposite side of the street is going to create problems.

There isn't a crossing guard for College Hills because they don't have a high enough percentage of walkers (partially because there's not a crossing guard and only some sidewalks so there is not a safe path for most people who might consider walking or biking). Making it more dangerous will not make more people want to let their kids walk or bike.

Hopefully I am wrong and whatever is happening will not affect school traffic, but I seriously doubt it.
OceanStateAg
AG
Someone I know mentioned that it likely a lay down yard for the Francis St construction project contractor to stage their material and equipment.
threecatcorner
That makes sense. Thanks.
rsa
AG
OceanStateAg said:

Someone I know mentioned that it likely a lay down yard for the Francis St construction project contractor to stage their material and equipment.
They were setting up the security fencing when I drove by this morning.
Fleen
Trying to get some info. on this, will report back...
Fleen
OceanStateAg said:

This is correct...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.